How d u protect ur USB FlashDrives from infectors?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Have already visited some sites on how to protect usb flashdrives, but still, I am very interested what you are currently using in protecting portable usb flashdrives from being infected. :rolleyes: ...The best of the best, according to ur experience....proven & tested by you.

There are portable antivirus like clamwin for usb but it needs to be manually run to scan the pc, still wondering if there are small portable antivirus out there installed or can be put in usb stick that runs in real time in an instant automatically (just like what was installed in our pc) every time it was inserted in the pc. Or are there any applications or programs that can be put in usb to protect usb in real time?

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Panda has a program you can download to turn off autorun on your PC. Panda USB vaccine is what its called.

3. sweater

What I exactly mean is portable protection that can be put into the usb flashdrives...and not in our pc. :D

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I used NTFS format and set permissions to deny writing to USB root to all users, it works on every PC. I can write only to folders created before. :)

5. Creer

Creer Registered Member

There are several software for example:

- mentioned above Panda USB Vaccine - with option "USB drive Vaccination" (it creates on your USB drive indelible file called autorun.inf which prevents autorun.inf infections).

- Autorun Protector - with option "Device Protection" (this allows you to detect already existing autorun.inf files and delete them. It also allows to create new autorun.inf file very similar feature to Panda USB Vaccine.

- USB-set - with option "Vaccination" this works very similar to Pnada USB Vaccine too.

6. sweater

Actually, I have USB Disk Security installed on my pc, checking it out it also has usb vaccine feature but haven't used it yet...not sure if it's the same w/ Panda USB Vaccine.

I also got Avast virus cleaner and still searching for other effective portable antivirus that could be put into usb flashdrives. Still searching for small size portable exe antivirus that don't need much updates but still are effective in detecting and removing many types of malwares.

How bout the NOD32 Dummy File Creator and USB WriteProtector? I hesitate to use it on flashdrives...it might be complicated...coz I was planning to give flashdrives to students...like my niece a college students who frequently visits infected internet cafes. Some of her important files was already gone, viruses deleted them. I know, those net cafes don't care much bout virus and infections coz they're using Deep Freeze in their systems. The problem is, when student log in to their pc and it's not yet rebooted and viruses already in there then it automatically transfered to their portable usb drives.

Will it be okay if those above mentioned usb protectors be use/installed or put into usb flashdrives? Have u tried it w/out conflict? :cautious:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  7. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Hello sweater,

Why does she need to use an infected internet cafe computer? Doesn't her college have a computer lab? Ours here not only have Deep Freeze, but other security measures in place. Remote Code Execution infection highly unlikely.

Secure policy should be to reboot the computer before logging in.

Also, I would question why she has to carry important files on a Flash drive to "infected internet cafes."

Also #2 - I would insure that she does not have the type of Flash drive that executes autorun.inf.

It sounds like you can help her with basic security policies.

regards,

-rich

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  8. sweater

Students, especially most of college courses offered here in our country includes computer subjects in their curriculum. I know that they have some knowledge on securing their pc and portable usb flashdrives, but the problem is being young could make them more careless, adventurous and even has an "I don't care" attitude (yeah, even... sometimes adults also do) and this thing could make them forget bout what they learn in their classroom on pc security subject. :( :rolleyes:

That's why I am thinking bout something, something that they may use without being complicated but still effective. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.