Kerio 2.1.5 and Look 'n' Stop 2.05

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by AgentX, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AgentX

AgentX Registered Member

I've been using Kerio 2.1.5 firewall for quite some time. I must admit that I'm
    very satisfied with its performance, security and low memory footprint.
    However, as a new version of Look 'n' Stop has been released, I'd like to
    evaluate and test it against the day-to-day threats coming through the net.
    As the Wilders.org declares LnS the best commercial rule-based firewall, I'm
    sure it does perform up to its name and fame.

My question for other respected board members is, has someone written or
    posted any comparison of features and pros-cons of both the firewalls? Is
    there someone up for explaining the difference between the two, other than
    the LnS 2.x is commercial and Kerio 2.1.5 is free for personal use.

My other question is, should someone using Kerio 2.1.5 look forward to replace
    it with the latest version of LnS, if yes then why.

Thanks for reading,
    - AgentX

Last edited: Apr 28, 2004
  2. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

I haven't fully seen their new enhancemnts in Lns, but for free Kerio 2.1.5 is still the best free firewall in my opinion. LnS has some nice features dabbling with sandboxing executables, and they said they programs would be more a part of the filtering process. Last time I saw LnS, I didn't like how they had their rules, and the application filtering setup seperately. I like how the applications are part of the rules in Kerio so they are part of the matching criteria which allows for more complex configurations.

I suggest you try it out, and see how you like LnS 2.05. Kerio 2x, and LnS are the two firewalls I like on the market right now.

3. Amerk_5

Amerk_5 Registered Member

I've tried both Kerio 2.1.5 & LnS 2.0x. Like BlitzenZeus, I also think that both are excellent firewalls. Both are also very resource friendly compared to Sygate & ZoneAlarm, IMO.

I prefer Kerio 2.1.5 over LnS for three reasons.
    1. It's free.
    2. The rules are easier to setup (for me) in Kerio than in LnS.
    3. If it aint broke why fix it? ;)

If you're going to try LnS, make sure Kerio is disabled so you don't have any conflicts between the two.

4. zorrozorrito

zorrozorrito Guest

Hi all, where can I Download kerio 2.1.5?

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. zorrozorrito

zorrozorrito Guest

Thanks, I am going to use it, every one say that this is the best firewall

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I don't know that it is the best but I like it a lot. I have tried all of the free ones and I personally believe that kerio 2.1.5 is an extremely efficent firewall if set up correctly. :)

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Guest

I tried Look n Stop twice and had trouble with it freezing up my internet access after 5 or 10 minutes. It seemed to have something to do with the advanced rule set. The default normal rules seemed to work ok. Don't know what the trouble was, but I uninstalled it.

I'd stick with Kerio 2.1.5 given a choice between the two...

9. zorrozorrito

zorrozorrito Guest

I installed kerio 2.1.5 with rules included and went to internet and it didn´t let me to open anything, could it be better to eliminate all rules and start making them, while I surf internet? besides, when I tryed to acces internet windows explorer made something strange. excuse this asking, but It never happend to me while trying another firewall

10. zorrozorrito

zorrozorrito Guest

I found kerio 2.1.4 and it works fine, IT SEEMS THE CHINA WALL, passes every test, good good good. Is there any diference between 2.1.4 and 2.1.5 ?
    I feel it works better than any other, I have proved many. considering the free ones this is the better one. And about the shareware firewalls I think there are some thay many of you consider better than this one (well to say better is risky because some have something and others have another good one), could you say the names please if so?
    I am so glad with this one, is good good good!!!
    thanks to people thay answer my questions

11. McMick

McMick Guest

2.1.5 fixes a remote administration vulnerability. If you disable remote administration, you should be okay:

"Core Security Technologies discovered a buffer overflow vulnerability in the Kerio Personal Firewall. The vulnerability exists in a portion of code responsible for setting up encrypted administrator sessions for remote administration of the firewall. Note that the buffer overflow occurs prior to any authentication taking place. For further technical details, please see the Core Security Technologies advisory."

A direct link to kerio personal firewall 2.1.5:

http://download.kerio.com/dwn/kpf/kerio-pf-2.1.5-en-win.exe

I didn't try to make it linkable because I suck like that. Learn to use Copy and Paste. (ctrl-c and ctrl-v on the keyboard, if you care).

12. McMick again

McMick again Guest

Except that I didn't know the board was going to auto-link :p

13. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

The default rules which come with Kerio 2 are pretty much crap to start off with. Those who want a far better default ruleset to start out with I would recommend using BlitzenZeus's final release default replacement found here at the bottom of the page. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8023708~mode=flat

14. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

Both I think are great firewalls, but I have to agree with Amerk on the points made above.

The one knock against Kerio 2.1.5 is that its no longer being supported or developed. So if down the road you have problems with it conflicting with something Kerio is not going to fix it. Thats one major plus in Look'n'Stops favor, that and the developer seems to be very active in supporting his product and helping users out. If down the road I ever have problems that arise with Kerio 2.1.5 that just can't be fixed at all I know for a fact Look'n'Stop is a great replacement.

15. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I've used all the free firewalls:

Zonealarm
    Sygate
    outpost
    kerio 2.15

I also tried look n stop. Don't remember what version. Of all the firewalls I've mentioned. I like kerio 2.15 the best. I simply followed Blitzenzeus advise concerning how to make rules, and set the firewall up.

Kerio and look n stop are my 2 favorite firewalls. Both have light footprints as well. Sygate and zonealarm just didn't run well on my computer. I like kerio 2.15 better than look n stop. One reason is because it's free. I also like the simplicity of setting up the ruleset in kerio.

Kerio passes all stealth tests at grc. scan. sygate .com and pcflank. All 5 firewalls passed all the stealth tests at those scan sites. I want to thank Blitzenzeus for all the information he has posted concerning setting up rulesets for kerio 2.15. If it weren't for him, I would probably still be running sygate free version, because there is a learning curve to setting up a ruleset firewall.

16. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

I'm glad people find it useful, but in reality its mostly rules talked about in various faqs if they did a little research on their own. :cool:

The main reason I even started the project, which wasn't downloadable at first to force people to make all the rules themselves manually, was the default rules were too loose, and could possibly allow a persons computer to be infected by an internet worm when the user had no idea how to configure the program. With the fact development has stopped, I knew they were never going to update the program to give a more secure default ruleset, and people using the default rules were thinking they were protecting them so I took some action on the Kerio forum I frequented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.