Bombshell: avast! 6.0 Available!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Doraemon, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

wer they doing anything or wer they just files sitting on ur computer?

2. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

There seem to be no reply to greyowl's question....

I use FDM too. How or what should I type in the <path-to-scan> if FDM is sandboxed by SBIE...? Say, sandboxed Firefox from which I download using FDM.

Anyone...o_O?

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Wth is going on with the newest 1027 update? This is literally the 5th time I've let the program update to it and been sent into blue screen hell. I'm really tired of that. V6 has never given me trouble up until now. Running Win7 64 here with Secunia PSI the only other running "security". I guess for now I either re-install Avast yet again (that's becoming less likely) and live with an older program version, or find another AV (becoming much more likely).

4. gery

gery Registered Member

i got redirected to some strange economic or financial cite every time i logged in . Now it is not happening again. I have no idea where they got in from i just did reformat my computer.

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

.1027 is still pre-release, better wait for official release if you experience problems or post system dump @ avast forums to help the dev's find the problem.

6. firzen771

well... 1027 is still a pre-release, so report it to avast and having problems are an expected risk when testing any software that isnt meant for stable release yet

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Then, if it's pre-release...why is it listed as an update in the programs official update server? Let me be more clear, I open up Avast 6 and it tells me this update is available and to do so. If the thing is a pre-release...get it OUT of the update server! Hell, I knew it was a pre-release when I tested it after being found here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=294877. However, once it shows up as an available update within the program..well gee, might figure it's official.

8. firzen771

hmm, thats weird, well i cant really say since im on 1027 and the avast forum still shows it as a pre-release:doubt: so as i said, report it to avast

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Btw, another post from the 14th regarding this update https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1842756&postcount=14. So pre-release or official, it's been sitting in the official update server for a few days now.

10. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Three days ago I sent a fake antispyware to Alwil using Avast's Chest (VirusTotal=19/47). After 72 hours the signature has not yet added. Does "Submit to virus lab" in Avast's Chest work at all? How long does they usually take to add something that is obviously malware? o_O

11. firzen771

how large was the file?

12. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

2.73 MB

13. lastsamuraial

lastsamuraial Registered Member

Avast sucks.Its WebShield slow down web browsing like hell.And lets not talk for its poor detection and virus removal.(Totally failure).

14. fasteddy2020

fasteddy2020 Registered Member

Feel free to find a different option that suits your needs. :rolleyes:

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

From the tests I've seen, I'd find it hard to say "poor". Is it the best on earth? Nope. I've never had an issue with WebShield at all myself. Virus removal? Well, from everything I've read when new versions have come out, none of the free AVs have been too great at that. However, I'd counter that if prevention is good enough, removal isn't going to be that much of an issue, right? If it doesn't get on your system, you don't need to worry about removing it. Avast doesn't "suck", I've relied on it since the early days of v5. Perhaps v6 was released a bit too quickly if anything. The only thing keeping me from having it back is the update issue I'm having. I'm using Panda Cloud until the issue is solved, and I have to say, I feel lonesome without that little orange spinning ball.

16. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

I do not know how you came to that conclusion!? Avast's Web Shield almost has no impact to surfing and Avast's detection always has been very good.

I do not like malware submision, especially because of slow adding of signatures and because they never provide feedback to sender.

17. gery

gery Registered Member

totally my approach. I really can feel the difference between the other versions regarding web shield, it is much better now and i do not fell slow downs at all but virus submition is terrible and i have never received a single response in years. Avg was very fast with maximum 24 hours delay(but that will not turn me back yet)

18. xandros

xandros Registered Member

i dont know why you say avast poor detection o_O the detection of avast very storng and its excellent , also its light on computer

19. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

welcome to my private hell since v5.1 ... randomly each odd build i end with BSOD :(

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Sorry but 1 BSOD might be a program flaw, experiencing BSOD one after another, i'd start to suspect your system specifically...

21. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Are you sure .1027 is on the official release servers, when checking for program update, Avast says .1000 is current. If you had a beta or pre-release in the past which was updated to final it will also update again to new beta's en pre-releases.

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

The 1027 is NOT released yet.

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It was there for sure. However, the original installer I had was for .986, which of course updated to .1000. It was not long afterward that it indeed offered 1027. Now, I did try the pre-release 1027 that was available from their forum, and yes, I knew things could go wrong, this isn't my first time testing things. Once the BSODs occurred however, I cleaned everything Avast related out, manually going in the registry and everywhere else. So, there shouldn't have been any issues. I tried the .986 installer again, same thing, it wanted me to have 1027. Fast forward a day, I did the cleaning out again, and went over to Avasts' website to download the installer. I tried again, and have been happily using Avast with an updated .1000 since. No hint of 1027 to be found on the update server.

I'm glad all that's over, I really enjoy Avast and think they give a heck of a bang for no bucks.

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I had an issue with avast6.0 and it just wouldn't install correctly.
    I didn't feel like messing around with it for long, and ended up trying Vipre.
    I was really impressed with Vipre's showing in the MRG Flash Tests 2011... I think they passed every test except one.
    Like you, I thought I might miss the little orange spinning ball, but that is not the case.
    Vipre Premium is making it easy for me to forget. ;)
    Taking nothing away from avast, however.
    I used avast since at least the 4.8 days, probably earlier.
    I think that since Vince Steckler came onboard, they have changed for the better.

25. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

For what it's worth, I found Pro and AIS to be very unstable and buggy. Like others, I have a feeling they released too early. I've rarely had as many problems with a program as I did Avast.

To their credit, I requested a refund and it was issued with out problems. I jumped on that 55% off deal through this site, so I didn't bother to trial it first.

Unfortunately, perhaps, due to my experience I'm unlikely to try them again....free or otherwise.

Hopefully they get their problems sorted, though. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.