Issues with Win7 SP1?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Tyfelt, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyfelt

Tyfelt Registered Member

After upgrading to Win7 SP1 ESET gave me a notification that taskhost.exe had changed. It normally does this for the relevant file if I upgrade 3rd party software that requests internet access, but never normally when core files are changed. I definitely had no viruses/malware on my system, and the only thing that changed was the auto-update to SP1. Is this a false positive style alert?

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

That is normal behavior if Application Modification Detection is enabled, since it detected the changes made to the file when the service pack was applied to your system. Here is how to check this option on your system's installation of ESET Smart Security:
    1. Open the ESET User Interface (filename: EGUI.EXE).
    2. Press the F5 key to open the Advanced Setup Menu window.
    3. In the left navigation pane, select Personal FireWall Application Modification Detection.
    4. In the left pane, the Detect modification of network-aware applications section is now visible.
    5. Toggle the option on and off by placing (or removing) a checkmark in the Enable detection of application modifications option.
    Additional information can be found by pressing the F1 key to bring up the context-specific online help for this option while the Application Modification Detection section is open.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. Tyfelt

Tyfelt Registered Member

Understood. Thank you for the quick reply, really appreciated.

4. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

Ah, was wondering why ESS was reporting that "spoolsv.exe" changed, but thats why :).

5. Jay Hill

Jay Hill Registered Member

HI and Thanks Mr Agoretsky,
    right on target in my case.
    But what brougt my ESS to go wild after serving bravely almost a year?
    BR: Jaydot

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

An service pack can update many of the core operating system files, which can lead to all sorts of reports of changed files.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.