RegSeeker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LeftyB, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeftyB

LeftyB Registered Member

I have searched for information regarding RegSeeker but have been unable to find good data. I would like to clear some registry entries but lacking more information it does not seem like a good idea. RegSeeker finds 166 entries with many of the following descriptions:

Invalid ActiveX\Com entry CLSID red
    File or Path Does Not Exist green
    Extension Not Used red
    Obselete Entry green
    Invalid Application Path red

In some cases both the File Path Does Not Exist and the Invalid Application Path include entries for software I have tried to uninstall.
    Can anyone say which of these entries it would be fairly safe to remove?

I also have questions about Spybot S&D. I have used it to remove cookies and trackers. When I use the immunize feature it says it can block 505 bad guys. This is on a windows 98se pc. When I run it on my windows98 pc it also says it can block 505 bad guys. Seems strange to have the same number on both pc's. If I immunize my pc I cannot see what items have been blocked. Is this a built in list or is Spybot actually finding anything on my PC?
    Thanks in advance
    LeftyB

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi LeftyB :)

Welcome to Wilders.

As for your Regseeker question I have used it for a long time without any problems.

All those descriptions u listed are entries i have fixed many times.

The thing to remember with any registry cleaner is to always make sure the backup option is checked in case u have problems after deleting something.

Just for reference the first time i used Regseeker i had 690 entries that needed fixing. :eek:

I did them all with no problems. :)

Hope this helps.

snowbound

3. LeftyB

LeftyB Registered Member

Thanks Snowbound for the assurance. I am going to run it now after making sure I have a backup.

4. snowbound

Your Welcome. :)

Making backups is the key here. ;) :D

snowbound

5. dog

dog Guest

Hey Snowbound,

Sorry, I know this is a little off topic ... but do you have any other useful utilities to suggest! ... I don't mean security type apps ... just other interesting utilities. I just d/l regseeker from hoverdesk ... to give it a whirl. But always looking for more ... :D

Thanks

Steve - *puppy*

6. snowbound

I don't have a link handy( i know there is one here somewhere with a list of very good apps.) ;) but there are members here who will help u with any questions on free or paid utilities that u have.

snowbound

7. dog

dog Guest

Thanks Snowbound.

I'll make a new post with regards to the above ... if you find the link though ... please PM me if you don't mind

Thanks

Steve - *puppy*

8. LeftyB

LeftyB Registered Member

Snowbound: I deleted the items found by RegSeeker and rebooted and things seem to be working ok. I will keep my fingers crossed. Thank you.

Dog: Someone gave me site the other day that seemed pretty good.
    www.snapfiles.com I downloaded a file restoration app that seemed to work pretty good.
    Lefty

9. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

10. LeftyB

LeftyB Registered Member

Snowbound: A few more questions about RegSeeker. I am trying to get some software off of my pc. Logitech Desktop Messenger/Backweb. I cannot uninstall it properly due to a missing C:\Windows\Temp file. Can I use Regseeker to delete this application from my startup and then delete all references to Logitech Desktop Messenger and BackWeb in my registry. I am using a Logitech wheeless mouse but I am ready to dump it for something else although the mouse works ok. This also applies to Symantec/Norton Systemworks 2001

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2004
  11. snowbound

As long as u don't need these apps. anymore it would be ok. Always try to uninstall if possible first.

When i got rid of my Nortons Internet Security 2002 i had to manually delete all the registry keys which seemed to take forever. :mad:

Make sure especially with Symantec products to go in and delete all folders and files too. Mine was quite a mess.

Don't forget your backups. ;)

snowbound

12. LeftyB

LeftyB Registered Member

Thank you Snowbound. I had the same problem with Symantec. Their instructions do not include every entry they made. I read somewhere that it might be more prudent to edit the entries first, such as changing BackWeb to Aackweb or something like that. I am still living with some of the Symantec changes. Problems did not show up for several days and by then it was too late to restore the registry. I will give it a try.

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You can find about 1250 apps. at the link

bigc

14. dog

dog Guest

Thanks Boys and Girls

More toys to play with!!! :D

I bookmark'd them all.

Thanks BigC, Dangitall, Lefty and Snowbound! ;)

These might keep me busy for a day or two ... ;)

Steve - *puppy*

15. dog

dog Guest

Oh, BTW ... With all this fun, I might need (probably will) to use this site's 911 service ... please keep the ER room available stat ... my box WILL need you (Doctors) ;)

dog - *puppy*

16. Mossback

Mossback Registered Member

I have been using RegSeeker for a while now and have had no problems. As was said earlier, backup,backup,backup..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.