another Windows Firewall Control?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by moontan, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

there seems to be another product with the same name.

i haven't tried it yet but here it is:
    -http://binisoft.net/-

2. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

It doesn't give you popups for outgoing connection attempts but it's convenient for access to the basic functions.

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Its only another frontend for the windows built-in firewall.
    it uses same settings - thats the difference to
    "windows 7 firewall control" or "pctools firewall"
    it may be easier for some users, dunno.

is version 1.6 still current?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  4. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

The latest version 2.0 is on Softpedia- http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Firewall/Windows-Firewall-Control.shtml

This program is not new, it has been out since 2006. It just now went back in development with a new website. I believe it was out before Windows7 Firewall Control by SphinxSoftware.

It is more simple than the product by SphinxSoftware, which blocks everything by default and makes you re-launch the program again in order for it to connect. Product by binisoft.net works with Windows default firewall and will pause connections until you allow them, then the connection will proceed, no re-launch of the program trying to connect is needed.

Thanks.:)

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Thats the main reason i dont use W7FC from Sphinx,
    re-launch is needed with that software :rolleyes:
    Thanks for the hint -> v2

6. zip

zip Registered Member

I gave Windows Firewall Control 2.0 a try, it's a pain in the rear, you have to go

hunting through your programs files to allow programs.

I uninstalled Windows Firewall Control 2.0 and put Windows 7 Firewall Control

back on Windows 7 64bit.

W7FWC is a keeper.:)

7. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

Thanks!

Hadn't heard of this software before but now using it on my Win7 rig with NAV2011. Excellent software.

8. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

Version 2.2 released. hxxp://binisoft.net/wfc.php

Changelog:
    Improved memory usage.
    Reduced the size of the application executable by 50%.
    Fixed some unhandled exceptions, that were occurring in some usage scenarios.
    Start with Windows, will run the program with administrative privileges, for all administrator accounts.

I like it.:thumb:

9. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

It's still garbage on my setup throwing unhandled exceptions to the point of always crashing the app.

10. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

Seems to be getting updated often.

Version 2.4 released. hxxp://binisoft.net/wfc.php

Changelog:
    Shell integration into the right click menu of the executable files.
    Fixed the situation when a user could block and allow an executable file through Windows Firewall, in the same time, making the executable file always blocked.
    Reduced the size of the application executable by 50%.
    Start with Windows, will run the program with administrative privileges, for all administrator accounts.

11. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Well I figured out why I was not able to run this. I wasn't able to use the tray context menu items for the firewall.cpl or firewall advanced security. The firewall.cpl context menu item generated a, this program is blocked by SRP and advanced security context menu item gave me the unhandled exception error. After snooping around, I found the SRP warning in Event Viewer which pointed to the path of c:\ windows \ system32 \ firewall.cpl. My Win 7 install is on E:\. On a hunch and thinking that if an SRP allow rule was set for c:\ windows \ system32 \ firewall.cpl, the app would continue until it launched the firewall.cpl of Win 7 on E:\. I was right and it worked. I was still getting the unhandled exception error for the context menu item advanced security. On another hunch, I figured I would copy WF.msc(advanced security) in Win 7 to c:\ windows \ system32 \ WF.msc and set a SRP allow rule for it. It also worked. It appears that the app is/was programed for Win 7 installed on C:\ whilst mine is installed on E:\. I emailed the fine folks at binisoft with my findings and they replied that an updated version for the fix would be out in the next few days. I said all that to say this, I want to retract my garbage statement made in an earlier post. When I get the latest/fixed version, it appears it will be a decent app.

12. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

From BiniSoft:

The new version 2.6 is out. Also a video tutorial will be available soon, presenting all the features of the program.

What's new in version 2.6
    √ Updated the program's setup to auto update an old version that is already installed, if exists.
    √ Now compatible with Windows which is installed on another partition than the first partition.

Have a nice day, BiniSoft.net Team

13. moontan

moontan Registered Member

tnx Greg,

i will give it a try this morning.

14. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Only drawbacks I've seen is that in Win 7 Advanced Security, I spent a long, long time customizing my user defined rules with tight settings for each rule. Having had issues with all prior versions of this app(WFC), I decided to uninstall the 2.4 version before installing the latest. When I did, it deleted all my custom rules created in Advanced Security. Also, new rules created with WFC are created as Pre-Defined rules and are left wide open in all settings of Advanced Security and can not be edited in Advanced Security. Other than that, this seems to be a great little app.

15. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I assume this app does nothing to the inbound settings right? It sure looks interesting.

Can you adjust settings while in a Standard/Limited user account? Does it come with any preset rules? Does the latest version give any notice/balloon if something is asking for outbound access that has not yet been approved?

Greg S: You mentioned some issues with Advanced Security rules. Were these only outbound rules that you are talking about? When you said it left the new ones "wide open", what do you mean by that?

16. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Hi Han,
    Yes it was the outbound rules that I made. As I mentioned here on Wilders or Seven forums, I've tried every version in the past and it always wouldn't work for me. Unhandled exception errors and app crashed always. After snooping around, I figured out that the app was coded for Win 7 install to be only on C:/. Mine was on E:/. After contacting the author, he admitted guilt and quickly fixed it for 2.6 version. Back to the outbound rules, the author stated that the reason my Advanced Security rules were deleted was because I had uninstalled the 2.5 version before installing the 2.6. I wanted a clean install of it. Well that was my mistake. When I uninstalled 2.5, he says that it figured that I didn't want my rules(advanced security) I had previously made throughout the months prior. According to him, If I didn't have a version installed, or if I had a prior version installed and installed over the top, it would leave the advanced security rules intact.

About being left wide open, when you create a rule with his app, it creates it as a Win 7 pre-defined rule and the properties of it can't be edited. It appears to me that whatever program you create the rule for, creates it for all protocols, all ports and all net addresses. I could be wrong about that but as I say, it appears that way to me. Try it out and post your findings on it and let us know.

17. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Re: Windows Firewall Control (for windows 7)

Hi, my name is Alexandru Dicu and I am the creator of Windows Firewall Control. I have found this thread just 15 minutes ago, that is why I respond here so late. This was my very first project in C#, and at the time this thread was started I was a beginner into C# (3 weeks). Now this project has grown, and the current version of the program is 2.8. I also created a website to promote this product that can be found here:

http://binisoft.net

or you can try a google search using keywords "windows firewall control" or "binisoft", and you will find the program listed on softpedia.com, majorgeeks.com, download.com, and more others.

Or visit my website to see more screenshots and found out more. ;)

P.S: No more unhandled exceptions and funny behaviour. This was my first application in C#. :rolleyes:

What's new in version 2.8
    √ Updated the setup program to choose the program's options during the installation.
    √ Fixed some unhandled exceptions which occurs in some usage scenarios.
    √ Now compatible with Windows which is installed on another partition than the first partition.
    √ Shell integration into the right click menu of the executable files.
    √ Reduced the size of the application executable by 50%.
    √ Start with Windows, will run the program with administrative privileges, for all administrator accounts.

Product Overview
    √ Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7 have already a built-in default, free and powerfull firewalls, but unfortunately, they lack a simple interface to define own simple rules and can be difficult sometimes to configure them the right way. Windows Firewall Control is a nifty little application developed to provide quick access to the most frequent options used from Windows Firewall. It sits in the system tray and allows user to control the Windows Firewall easily without having to waste time by navigating to the specific part of the Firewall. Options to enable or disable firewall, access Windows Firewall and it’s Advanced Security are all given in the system tray right-click context menu. Users can also add or delete a new rule quickly, allow all traffic, block unknown traffic or even all traffic with a single mouse click. This is the best tool to manage the native firewall in Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
    √ Windows Firewall Control offers access to four filtering modes, each with their own status icon in system tray, and different functionality.

Program Features
    √ Just one small size executable file, all features are packed in the same single executable file. The same executable file is the setup program as well the program itself, and has only 161 KB.
    √ Easy to use, intuitive menus placed system tray, which allows you to configure easily Windows Firewall.
    √ Quick access to Windows Firewall and Windows Firewall with Advanced Security from Control Panel.
    √ Predefined rules for Internet Explorer, Remote Desktop Connection and Windows Update, with simple buttons within the program interface.
    √ Allow or block a program to connect through Windows Firewall with just a single mouse click.
    √ Quick access to user defined rules with the possibility to delete them right away.
    √ Start automatically with Windows, at user logon.
    √ Quick reset to default Windows Firewall settings.
    √ Protection to uninstallation of the program when it is locked with a password.

Features for registered users only
    √ Import and export the policies of the program, helping you to easily save and restore the program's settings.
    √ Reset a forgotten password used to lock the configuration of the program.
    √ Lock the current configuration of the program with a password. Useful if you don't want other users to alter program settings. This will disable the access to the shortcut from Control Panel for Windows Firewall and the Management Console snap-in control file that provides additional administration capabilities for Windows Firewall.
    √ Shell integration into the right click menu of the executable files, which helps you to create new firewall rules with a single mouse click, right from an executable file, or even from a desktop shortcut of an executable file.

System Requirements
    √ Windows Firewall Control requires to run .NET Framework version 2.0 which is already installed by default in newer versions of Windows.
    √ Designed for Windows 7 and Windows Vista, this program runs on all versions, including with Service Packs.
    √ Compatible with both x86 and x64 versions of Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
    √ Before using this software make sure that Windows Firewall service is started.

Any feedback will be appreciated. Thank you.

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Moved above post to this thread to continue discussion.

19. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

He is correct, no more unhandled exceptions or funny behaviour. I rank this app as one of my favorites and as promised, soon as I get back home, I will donate to the project. I really like it!

Thanks for making this app!

20. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

@alexandrud,

is it possible to include setting the remote port, ip address(es) and protocol when a program rule is created? A logging feature would be nice, too :)

21. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I would like this as well but would settle for just being able to edit the rule in Advanced Security.

22. jnthn

jnthn Registered Member

Does this app generate a pop-up when an application wants to connect out?

23. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

No it does not do that. It would be nice if he could add that as well.

24. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

This can be done through a new menu item, I will try to implement this in a next release.

Still working on that.

I wanted that too but is a little complicated, because the firewall api does not have such functions. A "learning mode" is still a goal of mine to achieve.

25. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Interesting! Maybe a blocked connection could trigger the viewing of the logging of a blocked event. Did I say that right? lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.