The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

BCD is excluded to support hibernation. I had noticed this, since changes made with EasyBCD in shadow mode remain effective after a reboot.

For me, to conserve shadow mode after entering Safe Mode with F8 isn´t important. I prefer the current operation, shadow mode is always exited after a reboot.

2. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

What Robin said...

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Same here Robin.

@Patrick, like you, I prefer to keep the escape route (Safe mode) available, just in case.

Bo

4. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Hi Easter, I think Wendi is right

and I've emailed Tony about your 8 GPT.disk point and when I get a reply I'll post.
    Patrick

5. camelia

camelia Registered Member

Hi,

Sorry to post here, but I am in a hurry as always :rolleyes:

I upload @ virustotal SD1.3.0.455_Setup.exe

and the result is

File name: SD1.3.0.455_Setup.exe
    Detection ratio: 1/46
    Symantec WS.Reputation.1

Call me paranoiac, but is the file clean?

Now I have Installed SD V. 1.2.0.376, How do I install the latest version?

Over the top or uninstalling the previous version?

Thanks
    Camelia

6. sdmod

Hi camelia,
    I have checked it with Avast Pro and Malwarebytes both updated and the file comes up clean; It's probably a false positive.
    Yes you can install over the top with no problem.
    I personally always install clean. On re-install you may need to re-enter your serial number.

Patrick
    ps
    Important update
    I virus checked the file that I had on my pc and it was clean but a minute ago downloaded from the Shadow Defender site and there is now a problem with that file. Sandboxie doesn't like it. I'll email Tony and let him know. I suggest not to download the file from the Shadow Defender site until we sort this out. I'll post here and on The Official Shadow Defender Forum when I hear something from Tony

Thanks to Camelia for the info.
    Patrick

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  7. sdmod

I've notified Tony by email as follows and I will post when I know something

Patrick
    Urgent

Hi Tony, a member reported on Wilders to having a problem with the Shadow Defender 1.3.0.455 setup download from shadowdefender.com and said that it came up as a virus on virus total.
    I tested it myself today
    The original file that I downloaded when it was released was clean on my pc but when I downloaded the same file today, there was a problem with it. It choked Sandboxie and I needed to re-boot, so I think the file might be corrupted.

best wishes

Patrick
    .........................................................................................

8. sdmod

Recieved another reply from Tony saying that he has checked the 1.3.0.455 file with Virus Total and it's come up clean.
    I've asked him to check for a corrupted file and will post here when I receive a reply.

Recieved reply from Tony
    Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your information.
    I will check it soon.

Best regards,Tony

9. sdmod

Hi Easter, :) reply from Tony today 23 Oct 2013
    Hi Patrick,

The boot sectors of Windows 8 GPT.disk is not protected,
    but MBR and track 0 will be protected in a future version.
    and the boot sectors of Windows 8 GPT.disk are in track 0 so it will be
    protected too.

Best regards,
    Tony

10. sdmod

I've just downloaded the file SD1.3.0.455_Setup.exe again from shadowdefenderdotcom without incident
    Maybe it was just some sort of corrupted download.

Tony email says

Hi Patrick,

I uploaded 1.3.0.455 to virustotal.com and test with it.
    but didn't find any virus.
    Here is the result report:

note Patrick...Tony's results report didn't show on my email

I think that the crisis is over :)

11. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I downloaded the file last night and I got the Symantec hit. I scanned with Hitman Pro and EAM before installing and they said it was clean.

I just checked the file again and VT said 0/46 but if you rescan you'll see the Symantec hit. I also just downloaded the file again and it still shows the hit.

At any rate I have SD installed so I'll keep my eye out on this topic.

Edit: VT link ~ VirusTotal Results Removed per Policy ~

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
  12. bo elam

I think a possible explanation to what happened regarding Sandboxie would be that your antivirus locked the installer as it was scanning it and did not let it go. Thats why when you tried to either recover the installer or delete the sandbox, you couldn't do nothing. Thats what I think it happened.

Bo

13. sdmod

This looks like a Norton/Symantec
    problem with WS.Reputation.1

Example here

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  14. bo elam

Patrick, a couple of weeks ago, I ran Norton Power eraser under Shadow defender. In the scan results, the SD directory was listed, I don't remember if as malware or what but it was "detected". False positive for sure. I was thinking, Norton could be related to Peter123s problem.

Bo

15. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Agreed. It looks like Symantec is flagging SD because it is not well known or popular.

16. coffeetime

coffeetime Registered Member

Why so lax bros?

Found ways to create a never ending reboot loop scenario to test exit. Escaped loop trap by flipping Frozen Mode to Thawed in Safe Mode after a restart.

Frozen mode works same as current Shadow mode, but better by including Safe mode and starting with Win, instead of Shadow Moding while live. Safe Mode suggestion means same as current Shadow mode and just adding it Safe mode too. One less thing to think about and prevented with Deep Freeze.
    -
    Deep Freeze blocks BCD, though plugging that hole also disables hibernate. I've always used S3 sleep or powered down anyhow. Using SSD's on PCs/laptops OS, so need avoid SSD write wearing 16GB+- hiber file for each hibernation save and reclaiming space.
    -
    Deep Freeze blocked low level access disk wiping using Bootice or other tools (only tried two).
    Try Bootice drive Wipe on Shadow Defender in Shadow Mode, better have restore image...

Within few seconds a BSOD, msg after reboot from pic:
    "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"
    -
    Seems Tony doesn't get that it's compatibility related, to add a Shadow Mode option during its first start up is the key to better/full AX64 compatibility, SM during live Windows is what causes the issue (and nothing to do about security or more likely just quick skimmed over). This option is already available in SD settings on reboot except the very first entrance into SM.

These are just some of my findings while using and testing SD for about a month before. Now DF sata hotswap BSOD looks fixed, haven't found any holes or compatibility issues so far compared to SD. SD should step up since Tony been on a roll lately. Hopefully this also keeps DF in check and from slacking again while it's ahead imo, that's all :p

17. sdmod

Yes I think that you are right bo...I think it was just a glitch
    Cleared on close down and restart and when I re downloaded the file after talking to Tony it downloaded normally and both Avast Pro and Malwarebytes (one minute ago) showed no problem with the file. :)

Patrick
    Update Sat 24 Aug
    I think that this Symantec/Norton WS.Reputation.1 system is probably the cause of the sporadic download problems. Maybe if Symantec is installed on some of the servers that the file passes passes through to get to us it is getting locked on the way down. Also this could be why only some people are having problems installing Shadow Defender on their machines, maybe they run Symantec/Norton?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  18. WWS

WWS Registered Member

Easter...

I notice at the bottom of your posts that you have
    AX64 Time Machine and Shadow Defender in your lineup.
    I'm under the impression that the two are incompatible.

19. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

They are.

20. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

They are most definitely incompatible (first reported by The Shadow and subsequently confirmed by the AX64 team)!

21. caspian

caspian Registered Member

SD is not working right for me. I have to tell it to go into shadow mode twice now. I enter shadow mode once, and it says completed, but I am not in shadow mode. I have to go into back mode setting again and repeat before it goes into shadow mode.

Also, this last installation was weird. It kept saying that it was installing 7 zip. I finally got it to install. Then I just tried to install it on a friend's computer and it won't install. It says that it is 7 Zip. It said something about a side by side installation or something. Both computers are windows 7.

22. sdmod

caspian

I think that it might be that if you have 7 zip installed on the pcs and (as with most of these compression programs) there are a number of tick boxes within the program giving permission for it to open files as the default opener.
    Maybe you could look at those tick boxes and undo those permissions whilst you install Shadow Defender and see if that makes a difference. Maybe the 7 zip has claimed something that it shouldn't.
    Make a note of your tick boxes so you can put back your preferences.

Patrick

If all fails you could email support@shadowdefender.com or bugs@shadowdefender.com

or post to The Official Shadow Defender Forum and maybe one of the members has experienced and has insight into the your problem.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  23. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I have used 7-Zip on Windows 7 for years. It has never caused problems and it usually doesn´t ask for permissions.

The SD EXE installer is compressed with 7-Zip, but it doesn´t need 7-Zip to be installed to uncompress the EXE and run the setup. If 7-Zip is installed, you can open the EXE with it (right click > 7-Zip > Open archive) and run setup.exe to install the program.

24. caspian

caspian Registered Member

No 7 zip is not installed on that computer. It's not listed in programs or program files that I could find. And when I did a search for 7 zip, the only thing that popped up was the SD setup file.

ScreenShot002.jpg

Look it even says 7 Zip Igor Pavlov when I mouse over it.

ScreenShot001.jpg

ScreenShot003.jpg

So I downloaded a setup file (64 bit) version from download.com and it worked just fine. I am getting worried about SD. The latest version is not behaving correctly and I am concerned that he is trying to do too much with it. That happened with Returnil. It went from a really good product to one that could no longer be used by many. I hope that SD doesn't follow that same path.

25. sdmod

Caspian, I've argued hard over time that Shadow Defender should remain like 1.1.0.325 but with all the security problems fixed. It is concise and utilitarian in style and form, achieving "classic" status; I wouldn't like to see it turn into a "dog's breakfast". :eek:

Patrick

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.