Thanks to Panagiotis and Peter

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I would like to thank Peter, for calling me the other night with some final advice, and especially Panagiotis for all his work on making the Bootsect exe available to all of us here at Wilders. Thanks to you guys, two old friends are back on my system on my new Windows 7 install: a green and yellow ying-yang icon in my system tray, and a croaking frog! :cool:

Acadia

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You are most welcome Acadia

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

One thing that I have noticed, it now takes much longer to create an Archive than it did in XP. I used to be able to copy 16gig of c:drive over to a new archive in about 15-18 minutes. Now it is taking 45-50 minutes to copy about 20gig (this is the exact same system, no hardware changes). Yes, there is more to copy now, but the time needed seems to be really disproportionate.

Any one have any ideas why? If this is something that I have to live with because FirstDefense was not really even developed for Window 7 then no problem, I'll live with it.

Thanks,
    Acadia

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Only explanation I can think of is difference in file system, but I would have expected Win 7 to be faster. Maybe it's 32bit vs 64bit, don't know.

Pete

5. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I turned off System Protection and deleted all Restore points when I installed FirstDefense. Wouldn't that take care of the shadow copies?

Thanks,
    Acadia

7. pandlouk

Every time that you create/update a FD-ISR snapshot/archive a shadow copy file is created before the backup procedure continues and deleted right after the update stops. And this file is one of the first that FD-ISR copies/updates. If you exclude them you will save more than 2-3 minutes of time.

Personally I exclude the shadow copies, the pagefile and the hibernate file from the snapshots, and it saves me time and space. Give it a try, it won't cause any problem excluding them. Especially when you duallboot XP and 7 with FD-ISR, those are deleted/recreated from windows when the OS starts after you boot to the snapshot for the first time.

shadow copies= *{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}
    pagefile= pagefile.sys
    hibernate file= hiberfil.sys

Panagiotis

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ahhhh, now this is getting interesting. When I first purchased FirstDefense about seven years ago, when it was being sold by Raxco, the head tech support guy, I believe his hame was Greg, told me that besides the *tmp files, FirstDefense automatically does NOT copy the pagefile and hibernate file. If he was accurate and if that has not changed, then there should be no need to include them into the exclusions, although obviously there would be no harm in doing so.

By the way, just for your information, I am not dual booting with XP; only Windows 7 is on my system. I shall add those three items to exclusions and see what happens, thank Panagiotis.

Acadia

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, I excluded those three items, created another Archive, and it did not make any difference. It also does not matter if I am creating the Archive to an external or an internal drive. Usually my transfer rate hovers around 5mb/sec. Sometimes, but only rarely, it speeds up to 10-12mb/sec, obviously those Archive creations go much quicker. Also I turned off my anti-Virus and HIPS, although they never have made any difference in the past. Weird.

I am using a different version of FirstDefense, the last original classic ever created, on a different operating system. Could Peter be right? Could that fact that I installed the 32-bit version of Windows 7 have anything to do with it?

I believe the slowness only happens on the creation of things. Updating and restoring seem to be just fine, of course, not much is being changed in those processes. Minor annoyance that I can live with but inquiring minds want to know! :D

Acadia

EDIT: I just noticed that the latest original/classic edition of FD has a check box for "Exclude System Restore Data" and that Todd has it checked by default, I wonder if would that include the Shadow stuff?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  10. pandlouk

Acadia, if you only use one OS, you don't need to exclude the pagefile and the hibernation file.

No, I have used both 32 and 64 and saw no difference in the speed.

Don't know (have bought FD-ISR from horizon).... I can only tell you that the shadow copies exclusion, excludes the system restore folders too.

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.