spyshelter+privatefirewall=the best !!!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by stvs, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stvs

stvs Guest

hello guys, i just tried spyshelter+pfw(highest settings) and guess what
    1. no conflicts !!!
    2. previously pfw had 290/340 score in comodo leak test now with spyshelter 340/340 !!!!!

i dare everyone to test that combination !!! (ok i tried spyshelter free version
    so no webcam and soundrec protection)
    but can the comodo firewall beat pfw+spyshelter ? i doubt.
    did anyone try that combination? iam really surprized from the results

2. burebista

burebista Registered Member

I'll happily test Spyshelter free but no x64 version so for me indeed CIS is better than PW+ Spyshelter free. :D

3. guest

guest Guest

Comodo HIPS (D+) is more powerfull than the HIPS in privatefirewall, also more silent (less popups), due to the huge whitelist.

4. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Maybe a little bit more silent, maybe a little bit more powerful, but PFWs simplicity, straightforward approach and one-to-one support are a refreshing alternative to the cult of Comodo.

5. guest

guest Guest

It's not a little is much more silent, you will not see almost any popup, right now I have only 3 programs (not popular at all) in the Trusted list (added manually) that are not in Comodo white list, so basically I just answered 3 popups from D+, PFWs simplicity?? compared with what?
    About the support of PF I dont know but I have never had problems with Comodo support, but you can get support from the same developers.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2010
  6. Scoobs72

You've never used it extensively then or if you have you've configured it badly. Argue all you like but I've used both extensively and PFW wins hands down as the app that I'd put on my PC.

So the numerous posts about CIS failing the Spyshelter tests on Comodo forum are wrong then? The OP is correct - Spyshelter + PFW is a stronger combination than the Comodo Firewall (+HIPS).

7. tipo

tipo Registered Member

CIS is better than spyshelter AND pfw...

8. guest

guest Guest

Now is pretty obvious that you have never tested PFW.
    The only software able to block all the Spyshelter test is... Spyshelter

Now is pretty obvious that you have never use Comodo extensively
    Will I get less that 5 popups from PFW HIPS after months of use with your special configuration?

9. guest

guest Guest

I forgot to say that Comodo block all the spyshelter tests, just put D+ in paranoid mode.

10. Scoobs72

Ah yes, put it in paranoid mode. Pretty much any HIPS can be made to block any test if you change the settings. Out of the box (using the settings recommended by Comodo) Comodo fails many of the Spyshelter tests.

It seems you are the one that hasn't used it. I used PFW for c.3months across 2 different PCs.

Wrong. Putting aside those Webcam/sound logger tests Zemana, Prevx SOL and no doubt several others block the keyboard, clipboard and screenshot logging. Online Armor blocks all of them, including the webcam logger and sound logger.

11. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

what's toll on system resources and speed with spyshelter free?

12. guest

guest Guest

I'm testing the premium version on win7 x64, it uses in my pc around 12mb, sometimes the computer lag a little when a new popups appears but only on some extraordinary cases. Overall I think you can not notice any difference in your computer speed.

13. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

On my physical system (Windows 7 Ultimate x86), DefenseWall Personal Firewall (3.09) makes 100 SSDT hooks, KIS 2011 CF2(ab) makes 13 SSDT hooks, Prevx makes 2 SSDT hooks, while SpyShelter Free (5.02) makes 31 SSDT hooks. Even with 147 hooks, it feels lightweight (most of time) to moderate (during detections) during browsing, media playing, office work, and other common activities.

14. Scoobs72

Aw..gawd...I really can't be bothered to continue debating this with you. We'll have to agree to disagree on the opinions. On the question of facts, the ones I can tick off quickly:

1. You installing OA on your own PC and looking at what is left over after the scan wizard has run is not evidence that Comodo's whitelist is bigger than OAs. So you can withdraw that 'fact'.

2. Malware that can bypass CIS. Let's assume default config - where do I start...the UAC zero day bypass, the windows shell LNK vulnerability, the DLL exploit.....etc

3. If you don't believe me about PFW, get rid of CIS and test it yourself.

15. guest

guest Guest

Ok, sorry for the "hostilities" I understand your opinion if it's against leak tests, against real malware I doubt it, I hope you can understand mine.

All I said is IMO D+ covers more things than PFW.

16. Scoobs72

Against real malware D+ is excellent, I think everyone knows that. D+ does cover more than PFW, I think everyone knows that as well. Keylogger protection is its only major weakness and for me (but maybe not for you) it's an issue that it can't handle keyloggers comprehensively in default config.

Let me clear up a couple of other things:

- Online Armor does pass all the Spyshelter tests - every one of them. But it has weaknesses in that it doesn't record keylogger activity well and it only alerts for untrusted applications. That is not strong enough for the paranoid type that wants keylogger protection. Hence Spyshelter is a better application for keylogger protection (or you could equally argue Zemana or Prevx SOL)

- The bypasses i refer to are not old and have not been fixed. Please don't say that, it's not true. Languy has been testing them. Arguably they are not for Comodo to fix because they are o/s related and have been patched by Microsoft. Others will no doubt emerge in the future which bypass all HIPS as these ones do. The key point is that every HIPS can be bypassed with the right sort of zero day and there has been a spate of zero days over the last 6 months which HIPS (including the Sandbox component of CIS) cannot handle. No shame on CIS for that, it's just the nature of those zero day exploits.

17. guest

guest Guest

Ok, thanks for clarify this ;)

18. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Removed OT posts. Keep it nice and polite. Thank you.

19. lws

lws Registered Member

I use PFW and yes, I tested with CLT and could only get 290 score. So I installed Spyshelter free and tried the test again with PFW set to the "max" on Manual control and Process monitor set on "high" along with Network and Internet security also on "high". Still only got a 290 score even with Spyshelter activated.
    Would you share as to what settings you used in Spyshelter and PFW to achieve that perfect score of 340?

20. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

I tried PFW on XP 2, no serious tweaking but set sliders to high.
    Pop ups caused sluggishness for a moment in the VM, though not many Pop ups while surfing.
    I haven't used the combo suggested by the OP but will keep reading.

21. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I'm using PFW with DefenseWall and so far have not had any problems. I read another thread on here and changed some settings based on the recommendations that were giving.

22. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Private Firewall does not intercept loopback from my observations.
    stvs ,I doubt your PC is so safe.
    Not to say that this firewall hasnt been tested against real network threats.The HIPS is nice and light ,but the rest (the firewall itself ) only Stem knows how it behaves :)

23. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

24. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Sorry , i was usually trusting Stem regarding firewalls on this forums.To bad is not here to do some real firewall testing.
    I personally dont care to much about the HIPS component .

25. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

So are you saying its a crap firewall?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.