Private Firewall Updated (again)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Scoobs72, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaodsvuda

jaodsvuda Registered Member

Yeah,looks can deceive,under the hood is what's counting...Another example - Malware Defender.The Beauty of Simple Design.

2. scottls

scottls Registered Member

Re: How to Clean Uninstall OutPostPro IS, and add PFW ....

Per OPP IS free forum-
    Download their clean.exe uninstall tool, and run it in "Safe Mode"-
    Free CCleaner/Wise Reg/Vit Reg Fix 11, then found few leftovers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. I liked free Outpost IS antivirus/webguard, but Hated their mom & pop firewall that auto-allows everything (malware too!), with No configurable/viewable white/blacklist...!

My Solution-
    Disabled OPP firewall in "Settings"/reboot.
    Temp Suspend Protection (until restart), and installed latest new PFW (10min learning)/Temp disable OPP, reboot/ then settings (Any Firewall installs fully on 2nd reboot).

In PFW I can now Filter Processes that are prone to malware attack like- Java, Adobe Reader, IM's...
    For Speed I Allow All for IE9/FF5 in Processes (other Trusted apps too!), but Filter them in Applications.

The Outpost Slow email protection...- Caused my POP3 WLM to intermittently Stop Working, and I disabled that too- Hopefully OPP scans my email when opened? o_O

3. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

for the love of pete...
    lets send email to rhe PFW guys until they fix this stupid full-screen problem.
    I already sent my complain
    I want to use PFW again.

4. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Yeah it's really annoying to fire up a game and have PFW throw up an alert that can't be dealt with except to close the game.

5. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

everything quiet in the pfw front :(

6. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

That's why I don't use PFW anymore.

7. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Me either. I switched to Outpost and like how it handles full screen a lot better.

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

In the deathless words of President What's-his-name, "I feel your pain." :doubt:

But the pain will CEASE in a few weeks!! :D :thumb:

According to PFW Tech Support (Greg Salvato et al), they are NOW in the process of adding a "gamer-mode". They are also adding some "limited rights" features & other refinements. These changes mandate certain changes to PFW's driver(s). Hence, they will have to go through a certification round with Microsoft before they can release this update. They estimate release in ~4 weeks.

9. guest

guest Guest

Sounds good :)

But out of curiosity
    If someone writes a program, no matter how good or crappy, what has Microsoft to do with it?

10. guest

guest Guest

11. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

That sounds good. PFW is a good Firewall there are just some things the developers need to address but it sounds like they are already on top of it. :thumb:

12. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I haven't seen this thread in a while and was gonna post and ask about this.

Thanks for the heads up!! This FW is to good to pass up.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  13. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

great news!!! thanks for sharing:thumb:

14. HAN

HAN Registered Member

How does the current version of PFW and the current version of Avast AV 6.0.x get along? I know there were problems in the past (can't remember if it was PFW, Avast or both that had the issue?)

If there are still unresolved issues by way of PFW, will the newer version address this?

15. ichito

ichito Registered Member

I haden't any issue with cooperation of those both programm...always updated works together already few months.

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'm looking forward to the Limited Rights feature in the upcoming version. :thumb:

17. operamail

operamail Registered Member

Can you lay some lights on that? Sounds like the Run Safer feature from OA. If so, I'm looking forward to it too.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

From what I understand, that's exactly what it's like.

Per Greg Salvato from Privacyware...

HTH :)

19. operamail

operamail Registered Member

@Page42
    Thanks, that is really a good feature. Now I understand why this update is taking so long, coz something big is gonging to happen.:D

20. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Anyone running Privatefirewall can tell me if the Anti-logger module is any good? Thanks

21. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

PFW does a pretty good job when tested against Spyshelter's POC tests.

Try the tests yourself. To download the tests, go to Spyshelter's website, scroll to the bottom of its home page, & click on "download" under "Test security of your PC".

If you do run the tests, bear in mind that PFW performs as a HIPS, & leaves it up to you as to HOW you want to handle potential threats. In other words, it isn't only PFW that's being tested. YOU are being tested as well. Ergo, to do well, read PFW's alerts carefully, click for more details if unsure. If any given alert tells you about an action that sounds suspicious to you, click Block.

NOTE: If PFW pops an alert and (despite that alert) you ALLOW the test to get its claws into your computer's groin area, PFW didn't fail. YOU did!!! :argh:

If you do YOUR job well, the tests will be fairly boring because most of them won't even get to first base.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the way, if you want to run the tests 2 or more times, be sure to delete the test from PFW's firewall and HIPS lists -- so that PFW doesn't "remember" what you did in response to alerts in previous runs of the tests.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you are really paranoid about protecting yourself from keyloggers, remember that a keylogger usually *sneaks* into your computer as the payload of a Trojan. Ergo, job #1 is to use security apps that do a good job of protecting you from letting trojans get into your computer in the first place.

Job #2 is to employ a firewall that SLAMS the door on any & all outbound connections that are not initiated/whitelisted by you. PFW gives excellent outbound protection. So do Outpost, & Online Armor. (Even if a keylogger sneaks in, it can't do any real harm if it cannot connect out to send the data it has stolen. If it is blocked from making an outbound connect, it is like a gelded bull -- all it can do is bellow & snort.)

Job #3 (if you are really really REALLY paranoid) then use a good dedicated antikeylogger app, such as Spyshelter, Zemana, Trustee Rapport, et alia. (Myself, I use Spyshelter, but only when I am doing $$$-based activities -- which is bloody seldom, to tell the truth.)

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

@ bellgamin,
    You always do a great job with your posts.
    Always a pleasure to read, and much to learn from.
    One part in particular was so graphic as to cause me to wince in pain. :eek:
    Keep up the good work, friend. :thumb:

23. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Thank you Bellegamin for the very detail answer.:) As Page42 said, it is always a pleasure to read your comments.

24. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

Updated: 7.0.25.3

Changes in 7.0.25.3:
    Added Restricted Rights feature which allows rights to be reduced for specific apps on the fly (via Process Detection Alerts) or via Privatefirewall GUI (Processes tab of Advanced Applications Settings).
    Added log level control: Off, Low, Med, High. Low (only events with red/blue icons are logged, i.e. which are not related to any existing rules), Med (almost all, except restricted IPs, port scans, invalid packet flags, dropped due to SPI), High (All firewall events are logged).
    Expanded max alert time-out and added user options to control length of time-out period.
    Added ability to right mouse click event in FW log to add IP to the Blocked or Trusted List.
    Addressed full-screen game compatibility issues.

hxxp://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

25. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Any 64 bit enhancements this time? Last time I tried there was still a big gap in the protection offered by PFW for 32 bit and 64 bit machines. Many similar HIPS/FW products are bridging the' patch-guard gap', just wondering about PFW.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.