Avast! Pro License Key Used Illegally 774651 Times

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

A small firm in Arizona had 14 computers, and bought a license for Avast! Pro covering those 14 machines. They got a license key, which ended up on warez websites, where it obviously started spreading like wildfire. Avast noticed how the license key was being used by many more users than just the original 14. However - instead of killing the key, Avast let it run its course as an experiment.

"We found our licence code at a number of warez sites around the globe," said Vince Steckler, chief executive of Avast, "There is a paradox in computer users looking for 'free' antivirus programs at locations with a known reputation for spreading malware."

The result is pretty staggering. Within 18 months of the key appearing on warez sites, it had already been used 774651 times (the article notes 774651 people, but that's nonsense; the number of people is most likely much smaller than that), in 200 countries, including the Vatican. An Avast! Pro license goes for €33.57 (excl. VAT), so theoretically, Avast just lost €26005034.07 in revenue. Of course, most of those people wouldn't have bought Avast! Pro if they had to pay, but still.

It's especially idiotic since Avast has a free version as well, which would likely cater to the needs of most of those 774651 installations - in other words, Avast is a modern software vendor taking the needs of their customers and the market into account (unlike some other industries). Pirating their stuff is not only against the law, it's also entirely unnecessary.

Avast is actually being a good sport about this. I'd say they are perfectly within their right to block all those installations, but instead, they're offering users of the pirated key the option of going legal - by buying the Pro version, or downloading the free version. Some conversions have already been made.

source: http://www.osnews.com/story/24103/Avast_Pro_License_Key_Used_Illegally_774651_Times

2. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

in the vatican too...lol!!!!!....and they have a lot of money..

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

My first thought was another one. :D

Still, commenting your comment, some people, the more they have, they more they want, and the less they will spend, unless they profit from it. ;)

4. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

just look at the pope,those duiamonds,gold,silver are not fake.

5. m00nbl00d

I always thought he bought that at the local flea market. :D

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

LOL, Avast! are some good boys xD

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

8. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

I personally wouldn't consider it being a "good sport" towards its paying customers. If I was a paying customer, I'll feel ripped off paying for something Avast was offering for free and not making an effort in preventing.

I recall Virgin Media (in the UK) doing something like this a few months back when the new encryption on their cards were released and illegal boxes were killed. The difference between Virgin's and Avast's scenario was that Virgin was working on a new encryption systems to disable the hacks rather than letting it be.
    Think they had a message on their hacked cable boxes saying something along the lines of "We know you have been using our services for free for long enough, why not consider upgrading your package. We promise we will not ask any questions regarding this."

9. m00nbl00d

You folks all seem to forget about one simple fact: Some people would never buy the product, and other people would simple never buy any product, because they're aware they would be buying a buggy product.

I'm not strictly talking about avast! here. General speaking. Now, why would people be paying for something, that most likely will brick their systems? Worth the investment?

This is why the smart folks make use of free software, or try to get the paid versions in promotions selling them way cheaper or even giving them away for free like for 1 year, and then they will look for another solution; the other ones either aren't aware of the existence of free software, or they're lead to believe they would be better with an illegal "paid" version, because, well, let's face it, if there's a paid version, then for sure it means it will provide more security than the free one.

10. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

ROTFL :D :D :D

11. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

lolssssss

12. gery

gery Registered Member

o yes they do

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.