New Chrome beta 8 - incredible

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Kees1958, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Well, I searched forum for Chrome Beta 8 and only found old posts

Chrome 8 now also includes silverlight and pdf as controlled plug-ins (Flash allready controlled), so running with --safe-plugins puts Chrome's great policy sandbox around them :thumb:

Other security enhancement is XSS webkit auditor cross site scripting protection :thumb:

Also new feature when you enter about:labs in the address bar = hardware acceleration. :thumb:

Runs faster than ever, for people wanting to try out the beta besides the stable version, use the canary version

What is really fun: try the IE9 advertising about hardware acceleration, with chrome stable and beta with GPU acceleration enabled. I was amazed on the speed difference (on my old play PC spead reading jumped from 15 FPS to 60 FPS).

Edit: I think Google is cheating a little
    It is 2D acceleration, upside it seems to work on older video cards well (while IE9 requires Direct X10 but will support 3D-acceleration also).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hi Kees, this looks interesting. Is this the Canary build you mean? Thanks!

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

4. fsr

fsr Registered Member

Silverlight? :eek: Are u sure? Not on latest dev build ...

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Thank you Ocky. Mine points to the Canary build and yours to the Beta. I'm not sure what's the best to trial? I'll settle on one and try it in the vm :)

*EDIT* why does this thing have to install under the user's AppData directories and not ProgramFiles??

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2010
  6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Maybe its SRWare Iron or ChromePlus or Comodo Dragon which are always more advanced and superior and more stable and ... :rolleyes:

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

If you want to install Google Chrome under ProgramFiles dir, then run the installer through cmd line and go to the path where the installer is and then just write "chrome_installer.exe /systemlevel" (Without the quotes). That will make it install to ProgramFiles dir.

Or you can just look for Google Chrome Enterprise (http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?msi=true), which will install to ProgramFiles dir.

Google wanted to have people install it, even without Administrator rights... Why, why... o_O

-Edit-

If the command I gave doesn't occur, try with this "--system-level". I don't remember right what I did back then. :D

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  9. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I think they did that so Chrome can automatically update in the background without requiring admin acces.

I installed Chrome 8 canary build, but when I go to about:labs nothing happens, both on x64 and x86 :S

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

About:labs is now about:flags.

11. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Thanks for the tip m00nbl00d!

Yeah, I don't know what that's all about o_O

12. fsr

fsr Registered Member

Very funny, with the radioactivity symbol and all, now also featured in latest Chromium ... but still no sign of the new "NoScript API" :'(

13. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You're welcome.

I don't know if you saw it, but if the command I gave you does not work, then try with "--system-level". I truly don't know which one I used. I don't use Chrome my self, as I use Chromium, but when I tried in a virtual machine, I tried with one of those, if not one, the other. Both may actually work. But, I always run Chromium with batch files and with commands like --this-and-that, etc., that it made me confused. lol

14. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yup got v8 portable now on my thumb drive, bouncing between v8 away and IE9 at home. Really good progress from both teams, I no longer need to consider other browsers, these 2 are just so far ahead. :thumb:

Don't you just love competition? :D

15. Kees1958

Agree totally. Also Firefox has learned a lot of Chrome as stated by VP engineering Mike Belzner of Firefox. 3.6 was a huge leap in security and robustness:

16. Kees1958

Just go into managing the individual plug-ins, you will see PDF and Silverlight

17. Kees1958

Stable - Beta - Canary Build - Dev version, from stable to test, so Canary is something between Beta and Dev versions (less tested).

18. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Just one point/question/doubt:

The list of plug-ins reflect what is on one's PC. I'm not sure that Silverlight is there in the same way that the PDF plug-in and the Flash plug-in are. The latter two come with the Chrome installation whereas Silverlight may have been installed willy-nilly by MS.

19. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Is there a way to integrate flash and silverlight into chromium builds without having to install them in the usual fashion? I like that part of chrome, but wonder whether a method exists to do it to chromium? It would be nice not to have flash/silverlight installed in the system.

Sul.

20. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I would wager a guess that it's because of its sandbox features, but I am only surmising.

21. Eice

Eice Registered Member

If you have Chrome installed, copy gcswf32.dll from your Chrome folder to Chromium folder.

Out of curiosity, though: why not just use Chrome? The Chromium builds aren't really meant for end users, they exist only so that developers and testers can pinpoint exactly which changes caused which regressions.

22. guest

guest Guest

No, it's more like Stable - Beta - Dev - Canary.

As you can read here:

Stable channel. Everyone is on the Stable channel when they first install Google Chrome. The Stable channel is updated with features and fixes once they have been thoroughly tested in the Beta channel. If you want a rock solid browser but don't need the latest features, the Stable channel is for you.

Beta channel. People who like to use and help refine the latest features subscribe to the Beta channel. Every month or so, we promote stable and complete features from the Dev channel to the Beta channel. The Beta channel is more stable than Dev, but may lack the polish one expects from a finished product.

Dev channel. This developer preview channel is where ideas get tested (and sometimes fail). The Dev channel can be very unstable at times, and new features usually require some manual configuration to be enabled. Still, simply using Dev channel releases is an easy (practically zero-effort) way for anyone to help improve Google Chrome.

Canary build. This build is for people who want to help test Google Chrome and contribute to its development. The Canary build is updated even more frequently than the Dev channel and is not tested before being released. Because the Canary build may at times be unusable, it cannot be set as your default browser and may be installed in addition to any of the above channels of Google Chrome. By default, it also reports crashes and usage statistics to Google (you can disable this on the download page).

23. Kees1958

Thx Peter

Just an example of benefits of competition (and hardware acceleration on old 7600GS card)

Attached Files:

24. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I think it might be useful to clear up a few misconceptions.

There is NO Chrome 8 beta yet. Only Chromium, and the Canary and Dev channels, are on the 8.0 branch. The beta channel is currently on the 7.0 branch to polish it for stable release in a few weeks' time.

Chrome (even the 8.0 branch) does not come with Silverlight. Chrome only bundles Flash and the PDF reader plugin.

That is all.

25. fsr

fsr Registered Member

Exactly what i was thinking. Otherwise would be news :rolleyes:

Flash is easy, just copy C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\8.0.552.0\gcswf32.dll into Chromium folder. Use some youtube video to test, works like a charm. Silverlight is NOT bundled with Chrome so you need to install it the usual way. And i haven't managed to put PDF plugin into work with Chromium, i'm atributing that to some bug or different design. Can't be sure. I'm aware though, of a Chromium updater that both installs Chromium and the refered flash/pdf plugins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.