question on "ESET Setup Wizard ended prematurely"

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by homer_ga, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. homer_ga

homer_ga Registered Member

Just installing ESET Smart Security for the first time, and the Install Wizard has stopped twice with this message:

"ESET Smart Security Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified. To install the program at a later time, please run the installment again."

I've run the Install Wizard twice and gotten the identical outcome.

I was using the trial version of ESET Antivirus for the last couple of weeks and successfully uninstalled it prior to doing the new Smart Security install.

There is no other antivirus program currently installed. The only thing I can think of is a potential conflict with Windows Firewall which is on the "green/on" status with no way to turn it off.

Could anyone provide any suggestions?

2. homer_ga

I've tried to install ESET Smart Security 4 for a third time without success.

The Install Wizard successfully cycles through these:

- Installing new services
    - Compiling data files

Then, when "Installing Drivers" is almost done, the next dialog box says:

"Rolling back action."

Then I get the fail message:

"ESET Smart Security Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified. To install the program at a later time, please run the installment again."

Any ideas of what actions I can take to get successful install?

Thank you in advance.

Jeff

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Follow the instructions in this KB article and supply customer care with the created log.

5. homer_ga

Thanks for the feedback. My IT services consultant found the issue. The XP start menu was loading IDrive, and after a period of time, my laptop began spawning "failure to initialize application" errors for cmd.exe, net.exe and net1.exe. This was causing MS Office applications to hang, preventing the installation of ESET, and preventing the installation of XP hotfixes and security updates. After removal of IDrive from the start menu, ESET and Windows security updates loaded quickly. All is good. Thanks again for your help on this.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.