Excluding processes possible?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Is excluding processes from the real-time file system protection possible? I could only exclude the files themselves, but not the files the process accesses. For example if I want to install a second opinion security program or do an on-demand scan with another program, Eset also scans all the files they access, so with a full system scan Eset also scans all those files which slows the computer down.

2. BoerenkoolMetWorst

3. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I think the bottom part of this ESET Knowledgebase Article may have what you are looking for.

Hope this helps you!

Regards,

Mark

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

AFAIK, you can only exclude files and folders from scanning in NOD32 and ESS, not processes. Some AV's have this feature and some don't. AntiVir and MSE, for example, do allow processes to be excluded in addition to files and folders: useful when you want to run another anti-malware program alongside the AV.

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

@pegr
    Ok, thanks for the information :)

@xMarkx
    That's wasn't what I was looking for, I was looking for what pegr describes ;)

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's not safe to make exceptions based on process names. Imagine one would exclude the system process svchost.exe. As a result, any malware spread via shares or probably incoming from the Internet would not be detected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.