Louvre Museum in Paris

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by FanJ, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Guest

2. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Wow, Jan! What a trip! It's HUGE! And what a tastefully displayed site. Thank you my friend. Whenever things get too weird/busy, I can go explore The Louvre. :D

3. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

LOL! Prince, we must have been there at the same time!

FanJ--Thank You!! WOW! i went through ALL the still galleries then wanted to do the virtual tour but realized i didn't have QuickTime yet...LOL...so had to go download it first so i could go back and spend another 1/2 hour! (that sculpture of the Tomb of Philippe Pot just blew me away---would LOVE to see that in real time).....ok, i wanna see ALL of the museum in real-time! ;)

what a great way to just relax and take a break! Thank you again FanJ!! You are so thoughtful!

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Thanks Prince and Snap ! I knew you would like it ;)

Eh, we close the forum for a few days, hire some busses/planes, and make a roundtrip with all the 1100+ members; and the bill goes to Bill Gates :D

5. snapdragin

i went back and spent another 2 hours going through every tour! (feel like i've been on a vacation now) :)

oh at LEAST a week! i'll be the one standing with the magnifying glass going over every brush stroke! They'll be dragging me out when the doors close!

this is do'able!! Bill can right it off under Educational Expense for employees, afterall, we are kinda-sorta beta testers for him....right? ;)

6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

snap,

..and ever far nicer in real! Some decades ago, nearby the Louvre was a small, dedicated an famous museum: "jeu de peaume". Not the vast big stuff, but little perls over there. I'm still sorry it's gone. Oh well, "Beaubourg" is still there :rolleyes:

Unless we encounter a serious, long server crash: no can do ;). I volunteer staying around (others might as well); Paris is far too near by not to visit at least once a year from here.

I'll send him a high priority email right away! :cool:

regards.

paul

7. snapdragin

~hands you a karma cookie~
    now if there is some way you could also influence the Louvre Museum to set up a cam in one of those huge hallways, so i can go back and watch the sun coming in through the archways, then later return so i can see what it looks like when the sun sets.....i will give you ALL my karma cookies!! j/k (but i do wish they did have a live cam there, that would be incredible to see, even virtually!) :D

8. Paul Wilders

Much obliged!

snap, we are talking about France! Trying to influence the French is like Mrs. Bush asking to wear wooden shoes on official ocassions :rolleyes:

regards.

paul

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

10. snapdragin

LOL! Jan, you knew i'd bookmark all of those!! :D
    (maybe i might get lucky and see the original of a print i have tucked away in the attic! It's been around for 108 yrs so i guess i'll keep it a li'l longer)

thank you for the links Jan!!
    (if i see my print in one of those museums, i'll let you know)
    ;)
    snap

11. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Oh my! Jan, you've outdone yourself! How very considerate!

Note to Paul: Can we have a special thread in Ten-Forward for all us Art-Lovers? PC's and Security are very important but so is High-Class R&R! Our own corner for things such as these...music, sculpture, ceramics, painting, treasures of all kinds, expressing the joie de vivre! A lot of people here have excellent taste. Hmmmm? :)

12. Paul Wilders

Hi PS,

Well, this is your thread. I presume you're talking about a special "Arts" sub forum.

I couldn't agree more! ;)

Apologies, but no can do. We are a security forum - therefore we will use our bandwidth etc. for security issues and forums only - Ten Forward is the one and only exception to the rule. Since we are non profit, there's no money coming in, and thus we do have to make choices. Apart from that: a non security related forum would be a precedent; before we know it, demands for a "religion", "sports" etc. forum could easily come up.

Hope you'll understand! ;)

regards.

paul

13. snapdragin

oh Jan, the second link there (Centre Pompidou) even has a webcam! The virtual tours are wonderful but when there is a live cam with a view, it makes it more real somehow. :)

i would love it if other's could post a link of their favourite webcam sites, like of a museum or famous park, or similar? i know when my friend in Israel sent me the link to the Aish Ha Torah's "Window on the Wall" a few years ago when it actually snowed there for the first time...i felt like i was right there! :D

it was something to see!!

*fixed my typo..LOL...and asking: Paul, could i post the link of the webcam for Aish Ha Torah's Window on the Wall, here?

14. Paul Wilders

snap,

Frankly, I don't have a clue what Aish is :rolleyes:. If it's not against our TOS, be our guest! ;)

regards.

paul

15. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Walked that way through various dutch musea as well, Rijksmuseum, and those more recent exhibitions, Van Gogh, the royal palaces (think that last one is www.koninklijkhuis.nl) and looked around at times at all kinds of events, volcanos, and Perth has many webcams sites (just google for Perth webcam and you have over 60 sites at a time) etc.

16. snapdragin

well, quoting a sentence from their site: "Aish HaTorah is an organization committed to the survival and revitalization of the Jewish people." so even though the Wailing Wall is a relic of the ancient Jewish Temple and considered an archeological and historical treasure, it's religious meaning may be in conflict with the TOS...? (not sure) So to be on the safe side, i won't post the url, but if anyone did want to see it, they just have to do a google search using any of the words that refer to it above.

i haven't visited the site in some time, so i would warn anyone wanting to that there will be tons of cookies and ActiveX, and script warnings that will pop up. i don't speak the language but there are quite a few banners and ads there on the page. But even if you have everything blocked, you can still see the Wall and the market; it is quite an impressive view. :)

(i'll go look for a park cam) LOL

*opps...didn't mean the Wall being in conflict...sorry, meant maybe the site the cam is on might be in conflict with all the popups and ads there.

17. Paul Wilders

snap,

No prob. Feel free to post the URL - in a cultural context ;)

regards.

paul

18. controler

controler Guest

It is always awesome to meet in real life those that have had such a positive influence on our lives.
    In days of old , when I frequented the chat rooms,we organized huge chat parties. We would meet at Entertainment parks ect.
    It would be awesome to meet you all for a trip to France. :D

19. snapdragin

thank you Paul :)

i found the newer site that has the cam on The Wall, which further down still posts a link to the current site that has the live camera on the Western Wall (The Wailing Wall).

http://www.thewalllive.org/

do you know, i think another treasure is the art of technology, which has given us the ability to see and share with one another such things as, rare paintings, beautiful scenery, historical sites, and friendships that may never have happened if it wasn't for the internet, and those that help keep it safe and growing so we can continue share and learn.

controler - i have actually met my friend who lives in Israel. :) A wonderful friend whom i would never have had the chance to know if it wasn't for the internet.

so...when we going to France, Jan? ;)

20. snapdragin

Oh Jooske! Thank you for the link! WOW...love that white dining room (no one's eating speghetti & sauce in there i'll bet).......and that Oranjezaal room....woooo...that is incredible!

wall-to-wall painting!

would love to see how those paintings were placed there, or was it actually painted on the walls?

21. snapdragin

found an incredible live cam view of Niagara Falls, thought some might enjoy the view with me,. :D
    (there is a java-free version here too, and you can move the view around to see both the Canadian and American Falls)

i have been to the Falls so many times i have lost count....but the speed and the sound of the water rushing over the edge, still leaves one standing there staring in awe of the power and force of this Natural Wonder.

http://www2.weatherforecast.net/buffalo/nia001/nia001.php?cam=nia001

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.