New version of InstantCrypt (2.2) released

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Instantcrypt, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Instantcrypt

Instantcrypt Registered Member

InstantCrypt 2.2 released!

I am the creator of InstantCrypt, and have been working on this program intermittently for over three years. Over time, and with positive feedback, I have become more confident and now decided to create more publicity.

What it is:

InstantCrypt is an encryption program using the Open PGP standard to send and receive secure email. Its encryption engine is GPG/GnuPG 1.4.10. Runs in Windows 2000 and up.
    Goal of the program:
    PGP email encryption is technically mature, but somehow not accepted by the general user. So I set myself the following goal: A PGP-compatible program to which one can point a friend or business partner...
    1. Who is without prior knowledge of encryption,
    2. Of whom one knows that she/he will not spend more than 15 minutes of fussing around with his computer to get it going,
    3. And that he/she will actually use.
    General Features:
    1. Standalone: Not tied to any particular email program; no reconfiguration of email program required; GPG download is included.
    2. Intuitively understandable user interface.
    3. Demo videos explaining the main functions.
    4. Email/Webmail connection: connects easily to previously installed email or webmail.
    5. Compatible with other programs that use the Open PGP standard, e.g., PGP itself or any GPG-powered open source program. Can even read (but not write) PGP/MIME.
    6. Freeware.
    Operating systems: Windows 2000 and up.

Distributions:

1. Windows installer,
    2. ZipFile (for those who do not want installer),
    3. USB-Zip file (like Zipfile, but with additional files to create an “InstantCrypt USB Stick” to carry around.
    (b) and (c) are portable (between Windows systems); I am thinking of combining them into a single distribution called “Portable InstantCrypt”.
    New features in version 2.2:
    1. Switched from encryption engine GPG v. 1.4.2 to latest version 1.4.10.
    2. "Key Creates" now makes a RSA/RSA 2048/2048 user key (before: DSA/ELGamal).
    3. Improved key creation user interface.
    4. Drag-Drop support for plain and encrypted text windows in main form.
    5. Export encrypted text in main form as text and as file with either copy-paste or drag-drop.
    6. Mail Module: user can decide if s/he wants to send encrypted text in file or body of e-mail (with HTML warning).
    7. User messages improved.
    8. On Instantcrypt’s website: provided instructions for a compatible Apple/Linux program (PortablePGP), because friends with Apple computers asked me what they could use.
    Links:Questions or Comments:
    If you have questions or comments, I will be happy to respond here.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. roady

roady Registered Member

Now that Symantec has bought it,this 1 seems to be a nice alternative for PGP itself ....:thumb:

Just 1 question.....Any backdoor ..... ? :D :D

3. Instantcrypt

Re: Backdoor

Thanks for your interest, roady!
    Let's say it this way: I did not put a backdoor in, and GPG does not have a backdoor, as far as is known by the encryption community. So: No backdoor.

Or another way: The encrypted code is pure PGP standard as done by GPG. InstantCrypt, as a front end, does not interfere with the production of the encrypted code. If someone wanted to analyze the data packages, they could corroborate this.

4. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hello InstantCrypt

Nice program ;) Found it very simple to use and would be good for newbies and those who only use webmail interfaces. Great work! :thumb:

5. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

6. Instantcrypt

Rewards for InstantCrypt v. 2.2

Thanks for your appreciation, blacknight (should it not rather be blackknight? :D) and tobacco!

I just want to announce that InstantCrypt got two recognitions:
    a) the "Famous Software Award" by Download.FamousWhy.com (http://download.famouswhy.com/instant_crypt/ - scroll down a little, the recognition badge is on the right side), and
    b) four out of five stars at Softsea (http://www.softsea.com/review/Instant-Crypt.html).

Of course, at first sight I am very pleased, because it seems to imply a recognition of my work. Question, however: are these worth anything? Should I present them on my web site (as these sites suggest I should)?

Interestingly enough, many websites that I never submitted the software to (that includes the ones just mentioned) now present InstantCrypt. I am a little piqued that they just take it without even asking, and on the other hand I think this may be good promotion. Does anyone have any ideas on this matter?

Happy encryption, all of you out there!
    InstantCrypt

7. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Re: Rewards for InstantCrypt v. 2.2

what worth recognition?

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

As InstantCrypt is reviewed by more websites the better software download websites will pick it up and review it themselves.

9. Instantcrypt

Thank you for your encouragement, I took your advice!
    As a result I agreed to do an interview on InstantCrypt which is published here:

http://download.famouswhy.com/publisher/instantcrypt/

(unfortunately not always easy to read).

10. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Thank you, I am pleased that you find my idea sound.

11. Justin Troutman

Justin Troutman Cryptography Expert

I've yet to look at InstantCrypt, so I won't be able to comment from a cryptographic standpoint, but I will add a little about the worth of reviews from general review sites. First, bear in mind that security products stand apart from others in that you can't beta-test for security the way you can for functionality. Needless to say, most -- if not all -- of these general review sites do not have "security" as a metric by which they rate a product. With that in mind, such reviews can, at best, serve as a decent gauge for usability, but they say nothing for security.

This isn't a bad thing, by any means; usability trumps security every time. Of course, you need both, and there's a budding field that's looking at how to best achieve both, in tandem; interestingly, PGP was one of the first case studies of the ginormously hugantic gap between them. To conclude, congratulations on the good reviews (free plugs are great) and awards, and the best to you with the daunting task of putting cryptography into the hands of the laym@n; quite a task, it is, but worth the while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.