Trend Micro malware submission responsiveness

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by nameless, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I haven't submitted very many malware samples, but I've submitted a few. Every time I send one to Kaspersky Labs, I get a very prompt and helpful response, which explains the disposition of the submission (i.e. if it was added as a detection, etcetera).

Lately, I've been sending samples to Trend Micro as well. I sent a trojan that PC-cillin misses (but KAV catches) to Trend Micro on March 31. However, today is April 11, and they still have not added it as a detection (even in the beta pattern files). The same is true of a different trojan I submitted to Trend Micro on April 7; that one also isn't detected, even with the beta PC-cillin pattern files.

I'm somewhat disappointed with Trend Micro over this. Compounding that is the fact that they don't even bother to respond to malware submissions they get (I mean come on--the very least they should have is an auto-responder). And yes, I am sure I sent the samples to the correct email address.

Opinions?

2. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I upload several suspects via
    http://subwiz.trendmicro.com/SubWiz/Default.asp

I have never yet seen one in their detections when I check with it, it is always still pending

And yes they are guaranteed viruses/trojans that KAV & others add staright away.
    The last one I uploaded to them was 23/03/04 and still no response. I don't bother anymore, It isn't worth my time, I send to those who do respond, KAV, NOD, Symantec, AVG,

3. nameless

Well, I'm at least glad to know it isn't just me. And I agree--it isn't worth my time either. This is annoying, given the trouble I went through (which wasn't very much, but still). Looks like I'll be dumping PC-cillin before long.

I didn't even know about that "submission wizard". I had used virus_doctor@trendmicro.com, which is mentioned in this support document on the Trend Micro site. Now I wonder if they even got the submissions. But whatever--I don't have time for vendors who don't update support docs, either.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  4. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Hello,
    Here I've the same problem with Trend Micro.
    Aparently Trend has lost 3 clients that send samples because they doesn't reply and add detection.

5. nameless

Thanks for the replies. I've officially dumped Trend Micro and removed PC-cillin from my systems permanently. The product is pretty good (though not the best), so I was loathe to do it. Oh well. One thing I simply cannot stand is poor customer service (especially if it involves me being ignored).

For the record, after posting the messages above, I happened to find a trojan that KAV did not detect (yes, I was surprised, too). I sent it to Kaspersky, and within literally one hour I got a helpful reply, telling me that it was indeed new and legitimate, and when it would be added to the database. And it was added--to the very next database update.

I love easy decisions.

6. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Awesome testimonial, Nameless.

7. nameless

Would you believe that Trend Micro is just getting back to me on the two malware submissions I sent in--BACK IN EARLY APRIL?

And what's more, they tell me that neither file was infected. So I guess Kaspersky Anti-Virus and TDS-3 were wrong. Yeah, right.

Boy did I ever make a good choice here!

8. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

Hell, I can't even run PC-cillin. There is a HUGE conflict in my machine - the worst i've ever seen. It was impossible to uninstall as well - had to run system restore.

For some reason it affected spoolsv.exe - running 99% cpu and if that was disabled then svhost would run high cpu.

9. alien8

alien8 Registered Member

I took have submitted samples, to various vendors, KAV, Sophos, Mcafee and CAI all took time to reply and were pretty quick :)

I've found a slightly easier way to submit, I use the link below to scan a file with various vendors all in one go and then submit:

http://virusscan.jotti.dhs.org/

I do know that Jotti does contact the vendors and ask them if they want the samples they have. For example, I got in touch with the ClamAV guys and they now use the samples from Jotti site that ClamAV missed. They then add them to their database, which is excellent news :)

With the next version of ClamWin (http://www.clamwin.net/) having a pop3 proxy scanner... the more samples of trojans/backdoors etc. they receive, the better!

Cheers,

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.