Redo Backup & Recovery:

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by wtsinnc, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Perhaps old news to many here but new to me.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/redobackup/

I downloaded Redo from Sourceforge, burned the ISO via Imgburn to CD and tried it on an XP Home install.

It cloned 1.68gb of data on a 40gb hard drive partition to an empty 13gb partition on a USB hard drive and restored.
    Once initiated, the cloning process took about 110 seconds; restore took about 100 seconds.

On a second trial, again with XP Home but this time with Comodo Time Machine installed, it again copied and restored but did nuke my CTM snapshots, so I'll need to research that issue.

Still, it appears to be a useful program for B&R that doesn't need to be installed- backup/recovery as well as other functions are all run from the CD.

Although I tried it with XP only, it's supposed to be compatible with Windows 7, Vista, Windows 2000, and Linux as well.

To this point, I really like the application.

Here is a link to their website.
    http://redobackup.org/

btw; This is a free application.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

It works well here and is a easy-to-use app..

An off-line imaging backup/recover program that is reliable and it find easily the external USB hard drive (Paragon can't find it in my system; Macrium works well though). I'm using Macrium to on-line and Redo to off-line snapshots image.

Thanks wtsinnc for the info.

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Thank you for posting :).

4. johnny_dacu

johnny_dacu Registered Member

Tnx for sharing. I've search for a while a good backup program. I'll try it and i'll come back (with a good feedback i hope so).

5. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

6. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

On the recommendations of this thread I downloaded RedoBackup and I tried it. Here are my thoughts:

1) Very attractive interface and seemingly easy to use which actually belies some difficulties.

2) There is no help file that I could find, either in the image or on the developers website. Why did I need a helpfile? see below

3) When saving to a USB I could not get Redo to save to a specific folder. It would only save to the generic drive letter.

4) It splits the files and I could find no way to change the settings to homogenise them into one file. I was backing up three partitions and ended up with a load of files spread all over my usb drive. Messy!

5) Whilst I was in the live CD I wanted to survey my USB drive and the image to see how easy it would be to copy them and to compare it with say Macrium Reflect. Again I could find no way of accessing the USB drive to view my image files. The file manager would only view the Linux live CD files.

6) RedoBackup is quite fast, 40 minutes for a 25 Gig image.

In summary a very simple attractive interface. I cannot say that the program has bugs because I don't know, but I can say that for me it is not as intuitive as the interface suggests. I am not a novice but I found some difficulties with it, certainly by comparison to Macrium Reflect. I suspect others might find it as time consuming and difficult/impossible to sort as I did.

I would welcome any feedback if I have got some of my comments wrong.

Thanks

Terry

7. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Does anyone know if RedoBackup has the dvd+rw-tools package?

8. paul1149

paul1149 Registered Member

A very attractive interface, I must say. Unfortunately its linux core wouldn't see my wireless card, which is a broadcom that Windows identifies as a Dell TruMobile, and there seems little hope for a change any time soon.

At first I got no display under Enhanced video mode, but normal video mode worked fine. I also couldn't bring up any Help.

9. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Does anyone have any more feedback on Redo Backup & Recovery?

Thanks in Advance.

10. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

My initial impressions remain; a nice application PROVIDED your needs are basic.

I've used it several more times during the past couple of months but I'm so heavily invested in Paragon and Macrium that I'm not going to use it for regular backup tasks.

For someone looking for a simple freeware backup program, I believe Redo should definitely be auditioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.