Incorrect partition ID

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by Piko71, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piko71

Piko71 Registered Member

I have copied entire hard disk with Windows XP on it to the new hard disk. I used the Partition Wizard CD from Paragon to do it. I disconnected the old hard disk from the system and booted computer. It went well and I am using it now.

My computer is in stand by 24 h and on the morning I have found the Windows error message: "Wrong (or incorrect) partition ID". Nothing more!

When I clicked it away (the only thing I could do) I get another Windows error message: Can't open/write file. Nothing more!

When I booted computer from partition wizard CD the Windows XP partition was unallocated!
    I tried to recover partition and the wizard found the old partition and data but when I choose to make recovery it shows me again that the partition is unallocated!

I am a little afraid and will know what is the correct partition ID and how to change the partition ID? And why the Partition Wizard says that partition is unallocated when Windows XP says it is and computer boot from it and I use it now? And why the Partition Wizard says that it can recover the partition and doesn't do it when I order it.
    Please help me but instruct me as a newbie I am.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

In paragon main window, rt click the XP partition and select "Change partition ID ".

Don't change it yet.

post up what it says the ID is at the moment.

Like this - it shows the partition ID here is 0x07 ntfs

Partition_ ID.jpg

3. Piko71

Piko71 Registered Member

It says
    Partition ID:
    0x07 NTFS
    Total size:
    232.8 GB
    Activity:
    Yes
    Hidden state:
    No
    Partition.GIF

Att the same time Windows Control Panel shows:
    PartitionWinXP.GIF

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Try running windows checkdisk on the partition to find and fix filesystem errors.

5. Piko71

Piko71 Registered Member

Well, it taken few hours :)
    The test result was that disk C is clean label is Dno etc.

But it changed nothing in the Paragon picture of the disk :'(

PartitionAfterChdsk.GIF

6. Piko71

Piko71 Registered Member

@SIW2
    What next?
    Why do I not get any help any more from you? Is it the wrong forum I posted to?
    @ moderator
    If it is the wrong forum can you move the thread to the right one?
    @ all others
    Can somebody help me with my problem so I get some solution other then I get before: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=269672
    on the almost the same problem: Invalid partition in Paragon Disc Backup 9 Personal

7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Piko,

I can't be here 24/7 , I have a real life to live also. LOL.

Paragon is telling you there is something wrong with that drive. It gives earlier warning than windows - that is not unusual.

Just in case it is a glitch in DC9 ( unlikely ), you could install the new version BR10 Free.

Free Backup Software: Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition ...

If that gives the same message - there is definitely something wrong.

Then I would check the drive with the free tool your drive manufacturer provides for download from their website.

If that checks out ok, it is probabaly an error in the partition geometry.

In that case , and as long as you have a backup image of that drive - I would delete the partition, then run Paragon Undelete tool on it - it should undelete it correctly.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  8. Piko71

Piko71 Registered Member

Well, it's waste of time, isn't it? :D
    Well, I am very thankful for your help, really!
    But it's not the very first time I get this error message in Paragon software. It went wrong the last time, remember?

I installed BR10Free and it says the same:

PartitionBR10.GIF

and the other view:

PartitionBR10v02.GIF

and the comment is:
    Shell I delete the system partition with BR10Free and then what? Boot the system with Partition Wizard CD and recover the partition?
    Shell I?

9. Piko71

Piko71 Registered Member

I did it!:D

After I have read the introduction to Paragon Allocation Tool on the Paragon site I understood differences between cluster and sectors as well as difference between 512kb and 4096kb formatting. So it become clear that when I copied the old partition to the new disc and choose the whole disc as one partition that couldn't work.

I used Partition Wizard CD from Paragon and recovered the partition. Yes, I did it before without success but this time I re sized the partition at the same time so I left a little part unallocated.

And... I couldn't boot the computer :argh:

After a long time I understood that I must change the partitions status to Active after those operations I did.

So now it works as it should! Thanks to all who try to help me, specially to SIW2!
    Here is the new picture of my HD:
    PartitionAfterResise.GIF
    :thumb:

10. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Piko,

Thanks for reporting back.

Well done.

Glad it is now all ok.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.