ESS Kernel Power 0x0000009f BSODs

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by GeoPappas, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeoPappas

GeoPappas Registered Member

Greetings.

For those of you that are having 0x0000009f Blue Screens (BSODs) that happen when the computer tries to enter power safe mode (sleep, hibernate, etc), this might help.

Background:
    I run JungleDisk on my computers (to backup data to an offsite location). Back in 01/2010, I installed the new version of ESET (4.0). I started to have problems with backing up large files (that would take longer than 3 minutes). I contacted JungleDisk support and they stated that this was a problem with ESET and there was a workaround. Basically, they suggest disabling HTTPS protocol checking. See the first workaround on this webpage:
    http://support.jungledisk.com/entries/19072-eset-nod-32-time-out-and-lock-up

Once I applied the changes in the workaround, my backups started to work fine again. I didn't realize it at the time, but immediately after I made the changes to ESET (provided by the workaround), the computer started to receive BSODs when it was trying to go to sleep or hibernate. At first, I thought that the BSODs were a one-off (rare) problem, but I started to receive them on a consistent basis until I was receiving them multiple times a day. I worked on the problem for about a month and a half and finally uninstalled ESET (in 04/2010). Once I uninstalled ESET, the BSODs went away.

Two weeks later (05/2010), I wanted to try and install an older version of ESET (3.x) to see if it would work better (and not BSOD). But by accident, I ended up installing 4.x again. But to my amazement, it didn't BSOD!

Just this past week, I started to receive JungleDisk errors again (for large files). So I applied the workaround changes to ESET, and BAM! - the BSODs started again.

Summary
    So, if you have made the workaround changes to ESET (by disabling HTTPS protocol checking) and are having BSODs, then this most probably is your issue.

Hope that helps.

2. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

The "Kernel-Power 41 (63) error" in Win 7 can be many things, some have even went back to Vista due to inability to track it down and fix it.

In my case, I have seen this error twice in two weeks and both times PC was sitting on desktop doing nothing, I walked away and came back to find monitor blank and all fans running full speed and 2 red LED's on my GPU lit up.

Basically the error makes the PC shut down but not correctly obviously so you get a power issue (unsure if BSOD as never actually caught it in front of me).

Event Viewer gave above error and its only since ESET update to modules to fix the BSOD many of us were getting (my issue was only affecting Vista, and installing .exe files, and running some previously installed program .exe files).

So for me it fixed Vista and borked Win 7. :thumbd:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  3. GeoPappas

This is incorrect. The BSOD is caused because the computer is trying to go into a power safe mode but is being prevented from doing so. It then crashes as a result.

And yes, this error can be caused by other things. But it is also caused by the conditions that I posted at the top of this thread. And ESET is the cause in this case. If you want to see if ESET is the cause, then just uninstall it and see if the BSODs go away. You need to uninstall ESET - as a disable will not prevent the BSODs from occurring.

4. Temp Member

In your case possibly true in my case NOT TRUE.

I DO NOT use any power save modes.

Advise you go to MS site and read up on it before blatantly telling me I'm wrong about my own PC (the exact error code I mentioned).

The error is hard to track as its random and as I said twice in 2 weeks but only since update to fix previous ESET issue so I suspect ESET.

5. GeoPappas

Maybe you are receiving a different error.

You seemed to include a 63 in your first reply. I'm not sure what that # represents, but it seems like it might be a task of some sort. My Kernel-Power error (event ID=41) in the event viewer does not include a task.

Also, the description for the Kernel-Power events (event ID=41) that my computer has received is as follows:
    "The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, failed, or lost power during the sleep transition." What does the description for the Kernel-Power events on your computer say?

As I stated in the initial post, the BugCheck (event ID=1001) that I am receiving is a 0x0000009f. Is your BugCheck the same?

6. Temp Member

BUMP !

I'm afraid this error is back and its only since Modules updated. :thumbd:

I fell I proved it last time with enough testing and info and same for other users so will await a fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.