Folder Menu: access favorite folders, apps, and URLs via middle mouse button or tray

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MrBrian, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Folder Menu is a nice free program that gives you quick access to your favorite folders, programs, URLs, and registry keys. The favorites can be accessed by a hotkey, by using the middle mouse button, or by clicking on the tray icon. By default, access via the middle mouse button works in five locations: Windows Explorer, the desktop, the command prompt, the standard file open/save dialog box, and the Microsoft Office dialog box. Another nice feature is the ability to edit a selected registry key by using the hotkey Win+J. I'm using Folder Menu primarily for the ability to access favorite folders in the standard file open/save dialog box and the command prompt.

Folder Menu doesn't need to run with a full admin token, but it may need to be run with a full admin token on first usage in order to create its configuration file (config.xml). If you want the middle key functionality available from elevated programs, then Folder Menu also needs to be run elevated. If you want to run Folder Menu elevated at startup, then the program RunasSpc or one of the other programs mentioned in this thread may be useful.

Folder Menu saves its settings in the file config.xml, which apparently must be in the same folder as the program itself. The permissions of config.xml should be changed to allow Users all permissions except Full Control, Traverse Folder/Execute File, Change Permissions, and Take Ownership. Also, ensure that config.xml is owned by Administrators, not a standard user.

The configuration file config.xml can be edited to achieve more customization than is available in the user interface. For example, I have only my favorite folders available; I eliminated the other items present by default.

Version that I tested: v3.1.2.2 x64
    Review: http://www.freewaregenius.com/2009/...ps-and-url-via-hotkey-or-middle-mouse-button/
    Download: http://foldermenu.sourceforge.net/. Separate x86 and x64 versions are available.

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

10Q. I shall give it a try.

3. MrBrian

You're welcome :).

Folder Menu is also nice for those of you looking for a quick way to change to commonly used folders in Windows Explorer by clicking the middle mouse button (also customizable if you'd rather use something other than middle mouse button click).

I'd also like to note that programs (or URLs or registry keys) don't need to be placed on submenus - they can also appear on the main menu as root items. I don't recall if this can be accomplished with the user interface, or if editing config.xml is necessary.

4. MrBrian

5. MrBrian

Tip: if you want each user in an x64 multiuser system to have her own Folder Menu settings, you can put copies of FolderMenu.exe in different folders.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  6. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

As I've said before, I like that list! Anywho, I'm not a big fan of desktop clutter and make use of custom context menus. On my desktop(Win 7), I have the Computer and Recycle Bin icons. In previous versions of Windows, one also had a Static IE icon when right clicked would give you some choices, Internet Options, No-Addons etc.. Thanks to your list, I now have that working in Win 7 but I also like adding icons to most of my context menu entries. My problem is that I can't find the No-Addons IE 8 icon in any library. Granted, I haven't looked in every single file but didn't there used to be an IE icon that had the red circle with a slash through it somewhere?

titled.jpg

Also, anyone know what the default InfoTip string was for IE in previous versions? I guess I could re-boot into XP and see but maybe someone with XP could post it. This is all I could come up with from memory

led.jpg

I found this in default programs but it's kinda long,lol
    Windows Internet Explorer 8 provides an easier and more secure web browsing experience. Perform quick searches right from the toolbar, custom print your webpages, and discover, manage, and read RSS feeds.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I looked through all libraries in the IE directory in program files and all libraries in sys32, did not see any IE icon with any sort of red circle or slash. Nearest thing I saw was a page icon with an overlay of the IE globe and a red arrow on the right. This was from win7 ultimate. BTW, I use a program called IconFromFile by vlsoftware to do my icon extractions.

I tried out this folder menu program. Not sure if it will be of any help yet though. I was hoping it was a nice tweak for explorer, because I cannot stand win7 explorer, but it is not.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.