Facebook Privacy Lockdown - 33-slide tutorial

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by LockBox, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Out with the talk and in with the how-to in 33 simple slides:

How to Put Facebook On A Privacy Lockdown

Good stuff. Maybe forward this to your friends/relatives who want more privacy on Facebook and let them decide which measures to implement. This tutorial is step-by-step, very well done.

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Yes indeed :thumb: Don't use it myself :D but i know lots who do, and they don't have a clue :eek:

3. mvario

mvario Registered Member

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.allfacebook.com/2010/05/facebook-calls-all-hands-meeting-on-privacy/

5. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

6. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Lockdown or Death for your FaceBook Profile: An Advanced User Guide to Social Networking Privacy.
    By Jason Perlow

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Facebook Privacy Lockdown o_O

So much that i don't understand. What exactly were people expecting, what lockdown ..

8. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

don't ask me! (i know you did not, just a rhetorical exclamation)

I never went 10 miles pole near of a any facebook accounting. But facebookians are so numerous now, some of them are in for some serious broken personal privacy that might creep them for the rest of their live, from what I can read in those articles...

9. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I have a *fake* facebook page I use to log-in for those times that I want to view something on FB and it requires a log-in. It's also useful for things that let you post blog comments or whatever with a Facebook ID.

In a nutshell, here's the big problem for people who are regular Facebook users and have entrusted certain information with Facebook....Facebook Keeps Changing The Rules & Confusing Users. Some say...on purpose.

It goes like this:

People (not me, mine's all fake), signed up and were told that selecting "public information" was simple, and frankly it was, for awhile. Over the course of just the last year they have changed their 'default' settings several times. This meant certain information that was not marked as "public information" at sign-up by the user has the rules changed in the middle of the game and suddenly, once "private" information is now public. Surprise! The other big thing is what happens when you 'friend' someone - things that friends (and even friends of friends) can view has been changed on a whim. Making changes to the settings no longer requires just a simple yes or no on certain information, but it means jumping through hoops and going to several places to find the right way to set something so that particular info is not shared. Then there's the applications....I could go on and on, but you get the idea. It's like a shell game of telling the users "Here's what you do..." and then changing it again and again with the goal being to make public to users and applications as much info as possible, hoping you could never keep up. Scummy? A lot of people think so. That's why there's so much controversy and why even government agencies are looking into Facebook.

That's it in a nutshell.

10. quintile

quintile Registered Member

So much for their much vaunted speechifying about "people don't care about privacy anymore"...:rolleyes:

That, evidently was for the sheeple that follow the crowd, they are finding out a vast majority DO care about their privacy..

They can't get away with all this, if we don't go for it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    This Diaspora idea will be interesting to watch ...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=272517

11. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

LOL, Facebook private...pffft
    People dont go to -facebook- for privacy do they ??
    What a novel concept :D
    I thought the whole idea was to spread oneself like a toxic spill all over the web as far and as fast as possible...looka me, lookame..

I accept there are some good points, and properly configed, it is a great way to stay in touch, but,....:gack:

??
    How to monetize ....that's the core neh?

This is interesting:
    Facebook's Eroding Privacy Policy: A Timeline :
    http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/04/facebook-timeline/

Lots of interesting links:
    An Oxymoron ??
    Facebook Plans a Privacy Summit
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/196231/facebook_plans_a_privacy_summit.html

One obvious solution posted above ... really worth the effort ??.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.