FireFox privacy problem

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by CloneRanger, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

If FF crashes or shuts down unexpectedly for whatever reason, and you restart it, you get an option to Restore Previous Session. Sounds very nice and helpful doesn't, and in some cases it might be.

But finish your new session/s, go offline, delete ALL your history etc etc with something like CCleaner, and reboot at some point. Launch FF and up jumps the option to Restore Previous Session, which it does if you click that button :eek:

It's even worse, i have the preferences set like this

ff1.gif

ff2.gif

so Nothing should be saved, EVER

FF is obviously saving ALL that Previous Session info somewhere, quite where i'm not sure, but i'll bet i'm not the only one who wants to know ?

Imagine if after you had been for eg, visiting sites supposedly anonomously via Xerobank etc, or anyhow for that matter that was just your business, and your comp got stolen, or raided by the thought police etc. Even though you had used a cleaner etc you hadn't rebooted after a crash, ALL that previously visited data would still be there :thumbd:

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

use Private Browsing then

3. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Good advice. Firefox's Private browsing mode doesn't write any data to HDD. Be careful though, some plugins might still save data, even if the browser is in Private mode (or at least they do on the Firefox version I'm using).

4. One word: CCleaner.

5. CloneRanger

@Cudni

Having the options set as shown in my sceenies, should be the same as using Private Browsing, i would have thought ?

@Nebulus

Really :eek: What data ?

@Gullible Jones

I mentioned that even using CCleaner still does NOT prevent ALL that data being stored after a crash ;)

6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Should be default me thinks ==> about:config ==> toggle browser.sessionstore.resume_ from_crash false (amitbhawani.com).

7. biscuits

biscuits Registered Member

your previous sessions in FF are stored in sessionstore.js which can be found in your FF profile folder

8. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I thought that if you had Firefox set to delete everything when you exit, nothing period would be saved. And I had always assumed that when it crashes, that session is still available because Firefox was not really closed out. The ordinary function was disabled. Other than that can you provide evidence that anything is really saved with these settings?

1.jpg

2.jpg

9. CloneRanger

@GlobalForce

Now why didn't i think of that :(

Interestingly when i copy/pasted browser.sessionstore.resume_ from_crash into the about:config Filter, nothing showed ? But when i reduced it to browser.sessionstore.resume it did and as browser.sessionstore.resume_ from_crash ? Not a problem but ?

browser.sessionstore.resume_session_once also showed, and was already set to FALSE, as are both now :thumb:

@biscuits

Thanks to both of you :thumb:

I'll be keeping an eye on things for the next time it happens

@caspian

Me ?

Yes, as i mentioned before, that even with my settings not to save Anything, and using CCleaner still does NOT prevent ALL that data being stored after a FF crash. Because on rebooting i get asked if i want to restore ALL my previous sessions. And if i do, as i have to see what happens, it does. Which proves my point i think ;) Not happy that it does, but now we know, and what to do to prevent it :)

10. GlobalForce

11. CloneRanger

@GlobalForce

Trimmed it, works, and thanks for the scad, here's a :thumb:

12. GlobalForce

Sch-;)-urely! You feel "resume_ from_crash = false" should be default?

13. CloneRanger

browser.sessionstore.resume_ from_crash = false should be default = :thumb:

You say :thumb: or :thumbd:

14. GlobalForce

Ditto! Sixth post bud.

15. CloneRanger

Who's counting, wanna make it 7 :D

16. GlobalForce

OK, OK ... last word's :D yours .... Default it is. "True" for your any local kiosk - hardly a good idea.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  17. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I have a Firefox security CONCERN!!!

I am running the portableapps Firefox version:

http://portableapps.com/news/2010-04-02_-_firefox_portable_3.6.3

And whenever Firefox is closed my router light stays static and does not blink.

But as soon as I load firefox, the router internet light starts blinking, indicating that it's accessing the internet. And what concerns me is that if I just sit on a website, e.g google and don't touch firefox at all, the router light keeps blinking so obviously Firerfox is accessing the internet NON-STOP, even when I am not using Firefox to do anything.

Is this a SECURITY RISK?

What is Firefox accessing?

Is it sending any personal data to someone?

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

19. CloneRanger

@GlobalForce

I don't got no local kiosk :p And yes you're right, last word is mine :D

20. CloneRanger

@TheMozart

Yes i've noticed that too, and it's not just the Portable :( And it happens on and off about every 10 seconds ?

JRViejo :thumb: mentions several things which would do that, but i either don't have them, or have disabled them, so it can't be that.

Have you found the source of the problem yet ? As i'd like to know how to prevent it, and what causes it, as i presume others will too.

21. tlu

tlu Guest

Sure? You really disabled update checking, you really disabled anti-phishing and blocklist updates, you're really blocking the loopback connection with a PFW, you really have no extensions like, e.g., AdblockPlus updating its subscriptions, you really haven't set "Show a blank page" when FF starts, ... and so forth?! No offense meant but I sincerely doubt that.

22. caspian

Yes I understand that. I guess I wasn't being clear. My thinking is, (and I am in no way suggesting that I am correct), but my thinking is that the reason that Firefox saved the personal info is because it was *NOT* closed. It crashed in mid air and was not able to delete any private data. It ceased to function properly because it crashed. It's ordinary function is to to clear that data when you close it. But you did not close it. And so it was not able to complete it's ordinary tasks.

So I am just wondering if anyone here has the expertise to test Firefox and compare saved data from a crash as compared to when it is closed properly?

23. caspian

How do you prevent it?

24. CloneRanger

@tlu

Yes

up.gif

How are you suggesting that is achieved ?

Don't have AdblockPlus. No offense taken, but believe it ;)

Even if i have a blank page" when FF starts, which i don't, as soon as i start surfing it would negate any effect that might have surely ?

@caspian

Correct :thumb:

With the helpful tip from GlobalForce in Post 6 :thumb:

browser.sessionstore.resume_ from_crash = false

25. tlu

tlu Guest

That's a connection to 127.0.0.1 which can be blocked by most Personal Firewalls (which is not recommended, but anyway).

ABP was only an example. Many other extensions update their databases too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.