Linux Mint 9 'Isadora' RC. released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Right when Lucid was acting up on me, too.

Awesome timing. :D

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Downloading amdx64 iso as I type :)

*EDIT*

it's early and it's an RC but this is shaping up as another clear-cut winner from the Mint group :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
  4. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

If Lucid is acting up, MINT ain't gonna be any holy grail, its based entirely on Lucid with a few visual and interface tweaks and codecs added by default.

5. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Good thing you're not any prophet either, because Mint's been fine so far.

6. phaedrus

phaedrus Registered Member

I don`t think you`re giving Mint the credit it deserves. :)
    Mint isn`t just a re skinned Ubuntu. Mint 9 would have been released about an hour after Lucid if that were the case.

7. linuxforall

The credit is in its ease of use for newbies and some visual interface tweaks, I don't see any other change, it uses same structure, kernel as ubuntu and its ubuntu at heart as ubuntu is debian at heart. Every issues or non issues in Ubuntu will be present in Mint.

8. phaedrus

Well I guess you are right. You could say Mint is to Ubuntu, what Ubuntu is to Debian.

Its all re packaged Linux at the end of the day.....We all have different preferences for how we like our Linux packaged.

9. mack_guy911

10. linuxforall

Thats why we use Linux after all, its the choice factor :)

11. phaedrus

It is indeed. :)
    Its hard though not to get attached to a particular flavour and become a distro fanboy.
    For me it started with Mandrake, then Ubuntu and now Mint.

12. mack_guy911

agree with you guys linux is awesome

1 word for linux......... its like free drug you never know when you get drug addictive to it :D

13. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Come on guys

Let us not fight each other in the Linux world. The Windows world is the enemy, remember! :D

Thanks.

14. linuxforall

Windows is actually our best friend here, if there was no Windows, there would be no appreciation of Linux's virtues and mind you, Linux would never have a GUI or desktop, so lets give the credit where its due.

Started with SuSE 8 in 1999, before that it was RH with everything painstakinly self compiled, after few years with SuSE, switched to PCLOS, final change for Ubuntu x64 with Dapper and still stick to Ubuntu.

15. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

No offense to any of you Mint users but I always found it too...."sugary" (hope Mrk doesn't mind me borrowing that word...;)). Also, I agree with Linuxforall, Mint is just Ubuntu with a few tweaks here and there. At least to me that's a given. And, yes, I've tried Mint many, many times, though I haven't tried the latest. To be honest the default color always turned me off.

Later...

16. linuxforall

Its MINT so its minty fresh green ;)

Seriously thats the only distro I recommend to all those switching from Windows for first time as everything comes loaded out of box and with Ubuntu's solid backing, it works out well.

17. Eice

Eice Registered Member

And Ubuntu isn't?

It seems like there's no shortage of people who lament that some distros are easy to use, and I really don't get it. What, do your lofty credentials as a Linux user look less shiny and polished if you admit to using a user-friendly distro, or something?

18. phaedrus

Playing devils advocate here...
    We`re back to Linux giving us freedom of choice. Simple and sweet or spicey and edgy?
    With Windows or OSX you get what you are given, like it or not.

I agree with linuxforall, Mint is a good choice for new users and Windows switchers for its ease of use and out-of-the-box experience.
    It will be interesting to see what happens now the Mint team have a DVD option and what they can offer with the extra available headroom.

19. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

It's a matter of perspective, isn't it? I find the use of the color choice and the naming scheme to be too feminine for my tastes. That does not mean Mint isn't a good distro. It is (it's number 3 on DistroWatch's top 100, for heaven's sake, so something about it is appealing to a mass of users). The use of extra codecs and such are non-consequential to me since I prefer VLC anyways. To me Mint is Ubuntu wrapped up in a "sugary" green coating....like a M&Ms candy. :). But I tend to watch my sugar intake. ;).

This quote is more a general statement so I really have nothing to add other than to say that yes, some elitist do hold that against you if it's too easy to set up...but not I.

Later...

20. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

It seems easy enough to change it to something more "masculine", such as one of many available dark themes ;)

21. linuxforall

Btw, if you have a nvidia card starting with the 8400 series, its better to use VDPAU enabled mplayer as that means no load on your CPU and your GPU handles all the rendering, it also means better performance with HD movies as compared to vlc.

22. mack_guy911

mint is great but new one doesn't look as impressive as ubuntu default mode look

Ubuntu Software Center is welcome in mint also user review is good move for newbies

Desktop Settings and Backup Tool :thumb:

but what unimpressed me the most is its default theme which is same as previous one i was hoping some cool theme :thumbd:

23. mack_guy911

hows 64 bit doing in RC i got 32 bit of mint 8 this time going to try 64 bit in mint 9 :D

i have to wait for final release as my speed 40-45 kb some even more less :oops: its take me 5-6 hours for on download :'(

24. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

For me, excellent.

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I cant wait for this.
    there is some nice things about Mint.
    I like the commandline colour changes. If you login as root the text changes to red. I really want to do the same on other distros but i dont know how.
    I also like the random quotes when you use the commandline.
    there are other little things as well.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.