Offline Signature Updates

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Ohdarn, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

Hello, I have two computers running NOD. One is just fine on broadband, the other is ok on dial up. The issue with the dial up machine is sometimes it does not get used for many days. Last time it was 14 days. Now it wants a 25MB update.

Is there a way to copy the updates from the machine on broadband and take them with me when I go to the dial up machine so I don't have to do the long update?

Thanks

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

3. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

That won't do, the Dial Up machine I am concerned about is not part of any network, it is simply a computer sitting in an out of the way location that is not used much.

I have not researched it yet but I am guessing there is somewhere I can download a current executable data base from one location and save it to a flash drive to carry to the dial up machine when I need to use it.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you have purchased a Business Edition license you can create a mirror and transfer its content to other computers not connected to the Internet / LAN / WAN and point them to update from the mirror folder.

5. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Nope, you cannot download offline updates for NOD32 from official sites.

6. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

Well this changes things. I now have to decide how to proceed with this issue. It is not only NOD it is most products that require fairly hefty updates over time and I am sure it will get even worse. There are still places in this world even the US that dial up is the best you can get. I am not totally at that mercy but there are people that live in the country with no cable, no cell towers and too many clouds for Satellite. They are basically stuck with dial up. Luckily I can work around my problem but they can not.

One other program I looked at did offer downloadable signature files but the daily updates were so large it was not an option. Maybe one day Eset will make those updates available.

Anyway thanks for the replies, I will work the issues out. The machine in question most of the time goes on line only once a month so if necessary I could just let it update while I sleep.

7. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Change your point of view concerning security if you cant rely on your antivirus program!
    (in fact you should never rely on ONE program or security border!)

8. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

I don't under stand your response. I am very security conscious and have a very clean machine. In fact I am probably one of the few that have an XP machine that I built out in 2004 pre SP2 and have never had to reformat.

I have no problem with NOD or my other security programs that I use. I also do not browse the internet with the computer in question. The computer is simply a machine to do non internet work in a quiet environment where I will not be disturbed.

I was simply looking for a more convenient way to get my updates without letting the machine run for hours. If I am not at the machine for a few weeks and the data base gets large and takes some time to download them.

9. Geosoft

Geosoft Registered Member

Hey Ohdarn,

Just a thought, but I'm pretty sure ESET automatically attempts to download an update as soon as you connect to a dial-up connection. The first thing you want to do is prompt if the download size is over 2MB or something. You can do this by going into Setup -> Update -> Advanced update setup -> Ask before downloading update.

If there is a large package to download, just do that large package download at night just as you are going to bed. Connect to the internet and leave the computer idle.

10. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

You think like me, machine is already set to ask me if I want to download if the update is over 500kb. I figure this way if I use the machine several days in a row it will just automatically update most of the time and if I am off for several days or weeks I will be prompted before the update actually starts. I even have my machine on high speed set like this but with a much bigger package required before prompt.

Believe me I tested 10 different products over several weeks before I made my choice, I am not committed to NOD yet as I have a few days left of my trial but I am not going to let this one drawback change my mind, because even so it is the best program of all that I tested. There were a few products with the stand alone downloads available but the over all packages were memory and processor hungry. Also no matter what program anyone decides to choose, eventually you will find something you don't like. If that was not true nobody would ever switch, so NOD it is, and who knows maybe a NOD rep will read this and decide to make stand alone downloads available. Also you can not blame NOD for the big updates as they are actually smaller than many of the other programs updates and it is the criminals that force the security products to keep the updates coming.

11. Geosoft

Geosoft Registered Member

Well, like Marco's said, if you bought a Business Edition license, you can create a Mirror on your broadband machine, place it on a USB stick and move it to your dial up machine.

As for myself, I actually prefer the product compared to what is available in the marketplace. I have already renewed my personal 2-year license deal with ESET, and my company has been with it for over a year as well.

It's funny how time and time again that my portable HP Mini can run circles around my friends computer running Pentium 4's with either McAfee or Symantec products.

12. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

I never use Norton or Mcafee, I had a good product for many years but it got bad sending me shopping.

I considered the Business Edition but it really is not that important. If it came down to being important I have already considered the upgrade but most likely it won't be that important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.