Avast!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by whitedragon551, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Ive been looking at the differences between Avast Pro and Free versions. I know that Pro incorporates a script shield as well as a sandbox. Is the script shield necessary and what does it detect? Im on Windows 7 x64 Pro. Im not sure if I need the script shield. If its what Im guessing then I doubt I need the Pro version. The only reason I can see to get the Pro version is to disable the uber annoying ads. After all FF is sandboxed as is IE.

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

The real time and behavior blocker in Avast free will take care of any scripts and since you are sandboxed, you really have nothing to worry about.

3. Technic

Technic Registered Member

They have tons of fancy shields indeed. :argh:

Too bad they wont tell us their REAL purpose. And you don't need Pro version. They are just cashing out with zero customer support. :ninja:

4. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

Annoying ads in Avast Free?? Is this something new?

From the Avast 5 help...

"The real-time shields are the most important part of the program, as they are working continuously to prevent your computer from becoming infected. They monitor all your computer's activity, checking all programs and files in real-time - i.e. at the moment a program is started or whenever a file is opened or closed.

Normally, the real-time shields start working automatically whenever your computer is started. The presence of the orange avast! icon in the bottom-right corner of your computer screen tells you that the real-time shields are working. Any of the shields can be turned off at any time, but this is not normally recommended as it may reduce the level of your protection. If any of the shields is turned off, you will see a warning message whenever you open the user interface telling you that your computer is not fully protected (if one or more shields are turned off) or "Unsecured" (if all the shields are turned off).

avast! antivirus 5.0 contains the following real-time shields:

File system shield - checks any programs at the moment they are started and other files at the moment they are opened or closed. If anything suspicious is detected, the file system shield will prevent the program from being started or the file from being opened to prevent any damage being caused to your computer and data.

Mail shield - checks incoming and outgoing email messages and will stop any messages containing a possible virus infection from being accepted or sent.

Web shield - protects your computer from viruses while using the internet (browsing, downloading files etc). It will detect and block known or potential threats coming from the web e.g. hacked web pages infected with (potential or actual) malicious scripts. If a virus is detected while downloading a file from the internet, the download will be stopped to prevent the infection from reaching your computer.

P2P shield - checks files downloaded using common peer-to-peer (file sharing) programs.

IM shield - checks files downloaded by instant messaging or "chat" programs.

Network shield - monitors all network activity and blocks any threats that are detected on the network. It also blocks access to known malicious websites based on the avast! database of infected URLs.

Script shield - only in avast! Pro antivirus and avast! Internet Security. This detects malicious scripts and prevents them from being run. The script shield will detect and block not only malicious scripts coming from the web (remote threats) but also scripts coming from other sources, such as web pages saved to disk or in the browser cache etc (local threats).

Behavior shield - monitors all activity on your computer and detects and blocks any unusual activity that might indicate the presence of malware. It does this by continuously monitoring your computer's entry points using special sensors to identify anything suspicious."

And did the aliens who ate your Buick leave the license plates behind?
    Also, I think you mean "cashing in". Certainly I've never been paid to use their software and/or to receive personal technical support.

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

What ads, annoying or otherwise? I've never seen a single one.
    Running v5.0.462

6. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Did you mean this?

Attached Files:

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Okay, I've seen that. One ad on the Summary Current Status page. I hardly realized it was there. Whitedragon551, is that what you are calling uber annoying?

8. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Looks like he spends a lot of time staring at the avast! Free interface. Myyyyyeeeeeee Preciousssssssssssssss.

9. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Made my day... :D :D :D

10. adik1337

adik1337 Registered Member

LMAO ... :argh:

11. whitedragon551

Yup. Thats it. Mine is huge and green though.

12. vojta

vojta Registered Member

As far as I know, you can replace Avast's script scanner with the free Linkscanner from AVG, they do the same: scan for exploits in visited web sites.

13. nisby79

nisby79 Registered Member

tou can block the Annoying ads in Avast with your firewall.

block avastui.exe outbound connection

14. iravgupta

Does it officially support Windows 7 64-bit? The system requirements page just says Windows 7. Also, for Chrome and Opera it says 'Active-Surf Protection only'. Whats the exact difference between protection offered with IE/FF and Opera/Chrome?

15. iravgupta

Although the advert is really non-intrusive, I feel when it offers third-party tools like Chrome, its not fair. Alwil's own product placements are ok though.

16. doktornotor

Your Avast is apparently special. I'd recommend using their uninstall tools and doing a fresh reinstall with something that comes from official download site since there's nothing like adverts for third-party products, also there's nothing huge green at all etc.

17. Get

Get Registered Member

Mine has it too, but you can just make the screen smaller and biggest part of it won't be visible. Mouse pointer on the corner etc.

18. doktornotor

OK... here we go with the huge green thing. (The hotkey letters come from pressing Alt w/ PrintScreen, kindly disregard 'em :p)

Attached Files:

19. Get

Get Registered Member

Mine is bigger :

avscre1.JPG

,but can be smaller. :

avscree2.JPG

20. gery

gery Registered Member

Bpth AVG and Avast pop ups are not at all annoying IMO they just si there at no harm i believe . AVIRA is another story.I would never ditch avast for something like that and gladly pay the prize needed :thumb: :thumb:

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

FF has NoScript too. :cool:

22. doktornotor

Mkay... so, we have figured out:

1/ Definitions of huge green uber annoying may differ
    2/ Huge green uber annoying can be made smaller
    3/ You'll never see the huge green uber annoying unless you love to stare at the preciousssssssssssssss status tab of the GUI (as opposed to the other product where you cannot make it smaller b/c it's already maxed out, plus you can't make the GUI bigger - despite repeated requests - b/c the other product's programmers know best which size fits everyone)
    4/ You don't get any huge green uber annoying popups.

So, maybe back to the original question: the link scanner is just a cool factor which you don't need IMO, and as for sandbox, I already have a different product for that. No reason to buy the Pro version for me.

23. vojta

vojta Registered Member

The supported OS's:

MS Windows 2000
    MS Windows XP
    MS Windows XP Pro x64 Edition
    MS Windows Vista
    MS Windows Vista x64 Edition

I suspect it should run in W7 too, although it's not officially stated yet.

As for 'Active-Surf Protection only', that's the really important part. The rest is only AVG's own site advisor, which is not specially brilliant, anyway.

24. whitedragon551

This is huge and green and it came from Avast themselves.

I had Avira Premium, but it turned into nothing but issues. Modules would randomly disable themselves and they would refuse to start back up on next reboot. I said hell with it.

Now that you know what huge and green means lets get back on topic. Is the pro version script module needed or can I just ignore upgrading to Pro and stay with the free and have the same protection?

Attached Files:

25. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I think we are spoiled by all the great software we get free.

These companies give us great products and the only price is to put up with their ads. Thats a low price to pay. I had not really noticed the Avast ad and I have been shutting down that Avira pop-up for years. I know how to disable the Avira ad but I decided not to....just felt it would be dishonest.

Part of it is that I have worked on big software projects and I know that many of the developers of these products work many, many long hours. Me watching their ads is a token payment for their efforts.

No big deal! Just my 2 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.