Pale Moon - Custom-Built and Optimized FireFox for Windows OS

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nanana1, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Why settle for a basic build of your Firefox browser on Windows Operating Systems when you can have one that performs 25% faster? Mozilla does not provide optimized browser packages for Windows, while many Linux ("from scratch") users get the advantage of a browser built specifically for their system. That needs to change! So, here is the Pale Moon project: Custom-built and optimized Firefox browsers for Windows Operating Systems. Make sure to get the most speed out of your browser!

Of course, getting a faster browser is not just about optimizing the compilation process (building a program from its source code), but also about carefully choosing features and how to choose the best setup. This means that this browser, however extremely close to Firefox, does not have all the functions that Firefox has. A few, carefully selected, features have been disabled that are not in high demand, and that do not interfere with the way web pages are displayed or function; all to maximize speed and efficiency of the browser. Please see the page with technical details to learn exactly what the browser supports, and what it doesn't support. In short, if you need accessibility features or parental controls, then please visit the firefox homepage and get the official, non-optimized build.

Main features:
    - Highly optimized for current processors
    - 100% Firefox sourced: As safe as the browser that has seen years of development.
    - Uses slightly less memory because of disabled redundant and optional code
    - Significant speed increases for page drawing and script processing
    - Support for SVG and Canvas
    - Support for Firefox extensions, themes and personas

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The one thing that sticks out for me is the delay of updates. Perhaps I didn't read through enough, but does that include security updates as well? If so, I'm really not comfortable with that. Security updates are sometimes delayed enough as it is.

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

It looked good to me until I saw in the technical details that it was "unlikely to support" my old Celeron processor.
    Looked promising otherwise.

4. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Whats the difference between this and Swiftweasel which is optimized for multi core CPU and is compiled CPU specific?

5. newbino

newbino Registered Member

thanks for pointing this out, am trying it in parallel with FF and so far so good - definitely faster

looking at the respective websites, apart from the individual merits of the builds, it looks like Pale Moon is updated quite rapidly after an official FF update

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

One question, how long does it take to load the browser? The 15 second startup time was the reason I dumped FF years ago. :ouch:

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

That's the million dollar question for current FF users like myself. 17 to 26 seconds on a cold start would have to be eliminated before I tried this.

8. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

The first time you run Pale Moon Portable, it may take a fairly long time to load, because it creates a new personal profile on your USB stick for you. This can take some time, also depending on the speed of your stick - up to 30 seconds, usually. After that, it will be much faster to start.:-*

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I didn't see where it says that it's portable. It shows you specs for a computer install unless I read it wrong.

10. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

12. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Using it now. Liking it so far. Definitely fast. :thumb:

13. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

for starters, swiftweasel is optimized for linux. palemoon is optimized for windows.

14. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I get the following error at launch: "TypeError: ksClass is undefined"

Apparently it has something to do with the KeyScrambler plugin - I disabled it in Pale Moon and the error went away, but it's an important plugin...

15. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive just noticed that avast 5 IS http scanner doesn't work with pale moon,however it does with firefox.Anyone else able to test this with avast free?
    ellison

16. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I see the KIS 2010 Link Filter and Virtual Keyboard also don't work. Not enough to make me keep this over Firefox. :(

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

My FF cold starts in about 20 seconds. I installed PM on a snapshot and after a few reboots, found that PM cold starts in 17 seconds for me. I don't want to see if I can tweek it, so I reverted back to my primary snapshot and copied over the snapshot with PM.

18. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

tw, you seen how long it takes for firefox to start sandboxed?

Let me know if it's much quicker for you.

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

About the same. :)

20. jmatt

jmatt Registered Member

Yep, went away for me as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.