XP Smart Security 2010

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by backwards7, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backwards7

backwards7 Registered Member

A spectacularly irritating piece of malware which calls itself XP Smart Security 2010 smashed through NOD32's defences this morning. Currently it languishes in my toolbar where it periodically fires pop-ups and dialogue boxes informing me that my system is vulnerable/is being hijacked and can only be fixed by the miracle that is "proactive defence" (which of course involves submitting credit card details to some shady anti-virus company). A quick search reveals that this software goes by other similar names (all purportedly anti-virus programmes) and is causing widespread wailing and gnashing of teeth across the internet.

The program prevents practically all anti-malware applications from running. It also blocks access to certain parts of the system (I can't gain entry to my windows firewall through the control panel). NOD32 will open and run as usual, however it picks up nothing and gives the computer a clean bill of health.

Is there a fix for this? I've seen solutions elsewhere that involve pasting code into the registry. These kind of hands-on repairs always make me a little nervous as I don't really understand what I'm doing, and it's difficult to separate the legitimate assistance from the mischief makers.

2. tipo

tipo Registered Member

hitman pro,malwarebytes, combofix, superantispyware

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please create and submit a log from SysInspector along with any suspicious files you've found to ESET per the instructions here and this thread's url in the subject.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

One post removed. Please note an ESET moderator is assisting in this thread.

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

We have two previous threads on the Forum that could be used as a reference for this one, here, here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.