Drop your price why so much

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by dread, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dread

dread Registered Member

Tried a trail and like it. But it is the highest priced security suite I have seen in any store. The highest dollar ones I have seen was for $69.99 but Eset is 20 dollars more. I do not see why Eset has to charge more when everyone else is at or below $69.99. I see Eset has made it into store shelves at OfficeMax, you need to expand that to Walmart, Staples, Office Depot, and Best Buy at $69.99 or lower. That $69.99 should be for 3 PCs/User license for one year.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  2. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

I see online American prices start with $59.99 for 1 user, 1 year.

If you go to http://www.eset.com/ and click 'store' you probably get a list of resellers where you can buy it from for that price.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I have to agree that it is too expensive. I hesitated to new a couple months ago because it was $62.99 for 3 users. I went ahead and renewed because after the renewal period it would have been over $100 to buy a new license later. I haven't even been using it, and it is the most expensive license I own. :(

4. dread

dread Registered Member

Yeah 1 user for 1 year. Most other security suites is $59.99 for 3 user 1 year if not around $59.99 it will be no more than $69.99.

5. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Sorry I misunderstood then.

6. JesusV

JesusV Former ESET Support Rep

7. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

Just like everyone else....

I don't mean to be rude but if I pay $59.99 for the product you're not providing FREE technical support, I just paid you $59.99 for it. Also, who's product doesn't have free upgrades? and the last line was straight sales pitch.

Good luck guys;) .

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

There have been complaints in the past about some AV vendors not providing free version upgrades although I don't know if that is still the case. As for the "last line" just like everyone else.:D

9. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

Really? In the middle of a subscription?o_O I would be HOT.

10. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

I gotta agree, 40 euro for 1 year Av is simple not afforable for me and many others out there too forcing us to seek elsewhere wich is a shame cus i really like Eset's products :'(

11. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

i do not see why Eset should charge less.
    can't afford then don't buy.

i see no purpose in this thread.

12. patch

patch Registered Member

Price for 3 user license for 3 yrs appears more competitive.

ESET charged for the upgrade from to ESS when it was first introduced.
    So the risk of the 3yr subscriptions is they will change the name again & you will end up being charged again.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Wrong. ESET Smart Security was a brand new product with additional functionalities (firewall, antispam). Users who had already purchased a NOD32 license could upgrade to ESET NOD32 Antivirus for free and thus improve protection against emerging threats. EAV users are able to take advantage of new features, such as SysInspector or SysRescue without paying additional fee. Unlike some other security software vendors, it has always been ESET's policy to provide upgrades for a particular product for free. Current users of ESET NOD32 Antivirus or NOD32 v2 will be able to upgrade to future versions of the product without paying a fee and the same goes for ESET Smart Security users.

14. chromiumdomium

chromiumdomium Registered Member

Hi all

Just passed on my renewal price of £29.99 for 3 PC's for year, and decided to go elsewhere.

The price for renewal is quite reasonable, however, I noticed that if I were to buy the same license a-new it would have cost me over £100 this year, which is quite simply prohibitive, especially when you can build a blended, layered approach for free that might arguably exceed the capabilities of Eset's Smart Security solution.

I really liked ESET from the start and put it on my Main PC, My daughters laptop and removed my commercial license of Kaspersky IS on my company laptop and replaced it with the remaining Eset lisence, as it is less of a drag on resources and much quieter.

So far Eset has completely missed (by that I mean either allowed on and didn't warn, or warned but couldn't cure) three trojans a keylogger and a rogue antivius "Antivirus 2010" program.

The Rogue was on my daughters laptop along with a keylogger. Malwarebytes cleaned it all up. Eset didn't event register the presence of the keylogger, which was active. It couldn't do anything about the Rogue AV other than repeatedly try to clean it and fail. Personally I'm P****d that it allowed it in at all! I understand that people other than myself had access to these infected PC's and that they might not surf as safe as I do, but nonetheless in more that one of the infections the malware activity was not even detected by ESET.

The Trojan's were on my work laptop also there was a supposedly inactive keylogger (but nothing in Eset's logs?). I didn't know about these until I decided to re-instate KIS due to the impending license renewal for KIS which I needed to rei-instate to activate. KIS cleaned the trojan's but left some residual bits and pieces that Mbam did a better job with.

My Main PC didn't have anything untoward present, but then again it's the only one that is solely used by me.

It seems to me that ESET cannot be relied on to either detect or eradicate some quite common viruses and rogueware. It's a pity because it's a very quiet and resource frugal application; I like this, but not at the expense of basic security. From that perspective £30 is too much and I've implemented a free solution for the moment, until I can determine the product or products I wish to use on both my daughter's and my own PCs. KIS will remain on the Laptop, as it's free of charge for me. I also have a further four licenses for KIS but I'm not a fan so I'll probably purchase my own alternative at some stage. Whatever happens it won't be ESET in its current form nor will it cost over £50 for three PC's, if and when I do commit to another paid solution.

Regards,

Greg

Currently MSE + Threatfire + Windows7 64s own Firewall. Firefox (with BitDefender plugin, WOT, Noscript and lastpass )

15. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Thinking that any AV program provides protection against every single threat in the world is utopia to say the least. There is not a single solution that will protect you 100%, no matter what security program you name. What one detects the others may miss and vice-versa. For instance, I've seen today a new wave of FakeAlerts detected proactively by ESET (if not taking "suspicious" detections into account) which were missed by all other famous AVs (which, of course, does not mean some of them wouldn't block it upon execution or download). It is certainly not wise to move to another security solution if it misses a threat or you'd end up changing it every other day or week.

16. chromiumdomium

Hi Marcos,

Unfortunately this is not a case of changing "Every other Week" I've run ESS for about two years and have been generally quite pleased with it, although I did have problems with it about eight months ago due to some bug that was duly fixed, but caused me to uninstall and use an alternative for a short period.

I originally chose ESS because of its supposedly Advanced Heuristics. This I am lead to believe is, more likely to catch those "in-the-wild" threats that are not picked up as readily by other more primarily signature based threat detection security apps. I deduced that zero-day threats were more likely to avoid the security of the signature based apps with weak heuristics.

I do not believe that the sites my daughter exposes her PC to are that subversive, Her web addiction seems to centre around facebook and one or two other teeny orientated sites with clean and clear WOT ratings. My router logs concurr. Thus, I suspect her infections arrive from USB devices she plugs in. I cannot vouch for my office laptop, as it does gets hijacked by other members of my development team occasionally.

My own PC wasn't and never has been infected whilst running ESS, however I'm much more security aware than my colleagues and the rest of my family, however hard I try to explain things :-( I periodically run cloud scans from other vendors on all the PC's and also update and run a Malwarebytes scan on a weekly basis, if I get access to the various PC's (Time does not always allow.)

I've thought long and hard about whether or not to renew my ESS subscription. However, when I looked at it objectively, I considered that whilst running a mixture of Avast, Comodo and KIS prior to ESS I didn't get infected, I just ended up with slow(er) PC's especially with regards to my daughter's laptop. The Rogue AV on my daughter's PC is not that new and had been in the wild since November I believe. She became infected with it during January/February whilst ESS was in place and the Win7 was fully patched and up to date as was ESS.

1) I would expect this well known and prevelant rogueware of a 2 month vintage to have been stopped at the gate. ESS didn't do this and recovering the PC was a pain once it had infected it.

2) The Trojan's on my office PC weren't even spotted, nor the keylogger. An ESET scan didn't catch them either, I routinely scan the work laptop as soon as it comes back into my possesion, which was the day before I reverted to KIS for license renewal I mentioned in my earlier post, at which point the trojans etc were immediately spotted by KIS.

3) I regularly advise my neighbours, who don't like paying, to use Avast and Comodo. Up to press they haven't been infected. During all that time I've run ESS and been infected a number of times. I know, they haven't been infected because I'm the first person they call when anything starts going wrong and when I get access to there PC's to install the latest version of Office or set-up their new e-mail account etc. Cloud scans from other providers and Malwarebytes scans give clear reports apart from the odd tracking cookie!

In conclusion, I am not that much safer running ESS as opposed to anything else that get's reasonably good VB100 and Av-comparative scores, possibly less so! Why not use a layered free approach, it seems to be just as good, if not better, If chosen correctly, they're more likely to overlap than leave holes; plus I'm not paying for the privelage of getting infected. On that basis I can forgive the odd transgression, after-all that's what the alternative scans and a layered security approach is for, is-it-not?

Regards,

Greg

17. vdl68

vdl68 Registered Member

Look at this way :

You ARE PAYING to use the software, you think you going to get to use the software for free?? In return NOD32 pay back to their customer with giving free tech support. Your question about who does give free upgrade, hmmm.... are you using MS Windows?? You think MS will let you upgrade from XP to Win 7 for free??

18. Slooshy

Slooshy Registered Member

I could be mistaken, but I believe Marcos is making the point that if one were to switch products each time a security product doesn't catch something, one would switching on a weekly basis--a conclusion with which I agree. In fact, someone I know just had an issue with KIS' inability to catch something that other products could. By the way, with respect to that really annoying Antivirus 2010, another friend of mine about a week or two ago had an issue with his Symantec product detecting the problem but being unable to remove it as well. It's entirely possible both Symantec and KIS issues are now resolved with updates. I have no idea. The point is, though, that relying solely on a single product at any given time is an exercise in futility. Nothing will detect everything. And more often what's even more annoying (for me) are false positives (all antivirus programs have issues with their heuristic engines generating false positives).

My friend (running Symantec) got that Antivirus 2010 program from running an email attachment from a fake UPS email claiming that the attachment contained shipping or tracking information.

That's not to say, however, that I don't find ESS a tad pricey, but I find it's a very good program overall.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  19. chromiumdomium

a) I wouldn't know where the Trojans or Rogueware originally arrived from, I'm merely guessing at this late stage.

b) Whether or not a product is good rather depends upon your experience of it, mine has ended in the negative (very sadly).

c) As far as I an recall On all my PC's there have only ever been two or three warnings of malware activity either prevented or detected within my two years use of ESS.

1) The Rogue Antivirus already mentioned.

2) A suspected unwanted application warning on the work Laptop.

3) I seem to remember it tried to stop CCcleaner installing a toolbar once when I forgot to uncheck the tickbox.

Given the abundance of malware resident on two of my machines and the lack of reports of such activity, ESS's silence to me re: all things malware has gone from me believing in the products overall ability to protect me and mine (at a not insignificant fee), to one of "what's the point" in paying if it doesn't warn me of or remove anything? After all, I do not run ESS in isolation as was explained earlier, I do use other apps periodically and in rotation, to determine my system's true state. It's these actions that have protected me NOT ESS, moreover, it's the free apps "Malwarebytes", in particular, which have been of the greatest benefit.

From all the logs it seems that the only things I've been infected with are the only things that approached my systems, otherwise I'd surely have logs saying ESET prevented xyz malware from affecting your system, would I not?

All the best to those who continue with ESS, maybe I've just been unlucky, Here's hoping that, if not, ESET return to form soon.

Regards,

Greg

20. DMorgan002

DMorgan002 Registered Member

I have been an Eset user for years now as well and have recently added a couple of laptops at home. Due to the cost of additional Eset licenses I went a different way.

Now with my Eset renewal coming up I am doing some price comparisons and see that for the same price of 2 ESS licenses I can purchase a complete HOUSEHOLD license of another excellent product and have all of the machines running the same software. And yes they have very good support and updates are of course included too.

I am not one to change something like this lightly but unless Eset changes their licensing and costs soon I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Dan

21. Slooshy

Slooshy Registered Member

Well, one can look at AV Comparatives, VBulletin, etc. as indicative of testing that helps to remove (but not completely eliminate) subjectivity. Based on your signature, I perceive you are using MSE, which had a higher missed sample rate than Eset and an inferior detection to false positive ratio than Eset in AV Comparative's February 2010 report: http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Furthermore, MSE did not garner an Advanced+ rating while Eset's Nod32 did.

In my years of using Eset, on two different home computers and a laptop, I have never been infected by anything.

For my use, I tend to be more concerned with false positives; provided the security product I use typically detects over 96% of all viruses and trojans, I don't care very much. Typically, antivirus products have lower detection rates with malware, which is why it's probably a good idea to scan with another malware detection product. Regardless, Micrsoft's detection rates during the same AV Comparatives report indicate lower detection rates than Eset's.

While I am not fond of Yahoo toolbar, I would hardly consider that to be malware. Regardless, I do perform bi-monthly scans using other programs (spybot and have once tried malwarebytes) and nothing ever comes up. The point being that I think it's pretty impossible to rely solely on one program to catch everything.

Quite clearly, independent testing indicates otherwise. I can't look at KIS' inability to handle a few problems a friend discovered and suddenly declare that overall KIS can't detect or remove anything, for example.

That doesn't necessarily surprise me due the combination of script malware and malware in general historically having less than stellar detection rates in antivirus products.

Well, certainly, the AV comparatives Feb. 2010 report indicates there's room for improvement with respect to "script malware" and "other malware" detection and scanning speed. But based on independent testing and my own testing, the other product you are currently turning to as an alternative has far greater room for improvement.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2010
  22. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

I agree prices are too high, I had a quick read over the posts so its possible I missed any references to this, as its very important I'm posting it.

In some countries there are to be huge cuts in everything by the governments of the countries. My country is the UK, it is in for billions of £s in cuts, the cuts will be spread over everything, in the past there has been cuts but nothing to match this. This is all due to the Banks of last year when they were bailed out and the UK government borrowed many billions of pounds, about £600 billions if I am correct, but its around that figure, possibly more, £800bn rings a bell.

Of course the hospitals, most goverment functions, Health Service, I could go on and on and on, it is the "ordinary" citizens who will be hit hardest (as usual) but, get this, the Banks are giving nothing at all to help out yet they are solely to blame.

I can guarantee that EU citizens will have little money to spend (yes, the countries in the EU too) will be hit hard so ESET will lose sales, why will ESET not lower prices to help current users in this huge monetry predicament to keep on using the program. ESET is making a huge profit from users so whay wont they reciprocate their customers in these troubled times by reducing costs to us.

The cuts are so bad that the Political parties in the UK will not reveal how bad they will be untill after the upcoming election.
    Last year I emailed the people from whom I purchased ESS in the USA to ask if my licence that expires in December this year could be paid now for a further 2 years, they contacted ESET who refused, so folks, you will not get any help from them, so like me you will have to look elsewhere.

Thats the thanks I got for the many years of using NOD32 and then ESS.

23. tippet4y

tippet4y Registered Member

maybe the price came from big taxes for imported software from Europe or they do not want as to shop in the us-store you had to know $ to € is a good deal four us.

Greetings

24. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

I got no doubt the prices are too high, the only reason they got me as a customer is because I found a reseller who was selling for a LOT less than the official website. They high because of the good rep v2.7 earned, it was fast and secure and was rated the best by nearly everyone I knew. v4 no longer holds that crown.

25. Nodrog

Nodrog Registered Member

Interesting thread and I think Chrcol did a decent summary at the end there.

V2.7 is quite possibly the reason a lot of us have stuck this out over the last few years... reputation - small footprint, very fast, and really good heuristics. Quite frankly I've not seen a good or even glowing review (including VB100) for quite some time now.

So we pay for updates, support, and new bigger and better versions as and when they come out...

Go on then, 2 clean rebuilds, 1 desktop windows 7 Pro/office 2007/adobe reader 9.3/flash player 10 and that is it, and the other a laptop with the same except for windows 7 Ultimate...

...both installed with 4.2.35, guess what... both give the temporary profiles problem and both fail misserably to remember that I disabled the antispam.

Sorry people but I've got 6 licenses in total that will not be getting renewed short of a miracle, especially under the current pricing model.

I can't remember who raised the question about older malware, chromiumdomium I think, but I have to whole heartedly agree. While all of this rubbish about not all vendors catching all of the new virus when they first come out may be understandable - not detecting scareware (as an example) that has been out for months is absolutely without defence at all! Get real.

Rant over, I’m going back to my corner to hide. (sorry it was a long one)

Rhetorical question but does anyone actually think ANY of these classic AV detection methods are going to last much longer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.