Error communicating with the kernel

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by PatG, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Peeps, am receiving this error after installing NOD32 4 today. Have searched/all the threads related to this and no joy. Only thing that saved me was an image was created BEFORE installing. However, did not make an image on the laptop, so you can see my problem. Has ANYONE a cure for this?

Have written to support but will probably be tomorrow before hearing anything.

Anyone?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Yea Ron, that was the first thing I tried. It fixed it for about 5 minutes and the error came up again. Thanks for trying.

4. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello PatG,

Please try using our uninstaller tool and then reinstalling the product. Let me know if this works.

Thank you,
    Richard

5. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Richard, that was the tool used this morning initially to uninstall ESS so I could install NOD. That's when the problems started. Appears System Log in Event Viewer is corrupt plus other errors in Event Log. Have attached UninstallerLog from this morning to see if you can see something.

Attached Files:

6. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Well, am at my wits end with all this. Was up til 1am this morning, then back at it 5:30am. Here is what has occurred thus far:

Won 2 computer, 2 yr license for NOD Sunday. Being as my current ESS license expiring on 6-22-10, thought this was a stroke of luck.

Starting w/the desktop disabled the firewall in ESS and installed COMODO fw to try. Rated #1 free fw and wanted to see if it played w/ESS. Appeared it did and let it run most of the day w/reboots, etc., no problems. Yesterday morning, first made an image, then running eset uninstaller removed ESS, rebooted and installed NOD. Noticed there was no reboot required at end of install, but waited and here it comes updating the db. Running smooth as silk and thought, "hey, couldn't be any easier than that!"

So approached the laptop with the same procedure. Made an error in my original post saying had no image, but one was created on 2/21 before anything was uninstalled. So, went ahead in one operation, disabled fw in ESS, installed Comodo, uninstalled ESS using same uninstaller then installing NOD. First result was same as desktop, all running nice and easy.
    With my buttons straining at my chest trying to pop off ;) I shut both computers down and left to get a haircut. On first boot up of desktop when returning, the PROBLEMS started, same w/the laptop. Comodo uninstalled, NOD uninstalled/reinstalled and the same result. Neither computer will run w/o the "error communication with kernel" w/NOD, with or w/out Comodo.

Desktop was restored back to ESS w/Comodo, Laptop restored back to ESS with its fw running. Both boot properly and no kernel error.

I do apologize for the lengthy post, but just wanted it stated ALL that was done to prevent going back and forth. If something was left out perhaps one of you will catch it. I've got 4 months to find a solution so that is a consolation.:doubt:

EDIT: Oh yeah, I did scan both computers during before and after installing. Scanned w/Prevx3, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and IS360. Came up clean on all scans.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  7. noway

noway Registered Member

I think I would have gone from ESS to NOD32 AV first and once everything is running well, then make an image. Then try COMODO.

8. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Hey, I can still do that as I have image b/4 ANYTHING was installed, made 2/21. Will restore and try it that way. Will post back results.

EDIT: No joy. Still hangs @ windows xp screen. I have forgotten the "f" key for inspecting line by line of the boot up that shows either "success" or "fail". Does anyone know that key?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  9. Rmuffler

Hello PatG,

While installing NOD32 go to Start -> Run then type service.msg and make sure that the ESET service is running. Let me know if this works.

Thank you,
    Richard

10. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hi PatG,

Is it the standalone version of the COMODO firewall you're running with ESET NOD32 AV?

BFG

11. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Richard, you mean right after/during/or before the first reboot. Kinda a fuzzy...

12. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Hey BFG, was the latest dl'd from Comodo site, think it was 3.14. Not running it now restored both computers back to 2/20 before this happened, sent support a form earlier today explaining the situation and referenced this post. Yes, the standalone.

13. PatG

PatG Registered Member

OK, installing and initial scan, received "Windows cannot find "service.msg" then looked at the event viewer and found this, looks like something trying to control, huh?

Attached Files:

14. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Richard and all, still looking for a solution. Thought about the boot logging feature and made one before/after installing NOD. You can see the difference where it started looping. I don't have a clue as to the cure for this but maybe someone can:

Attached Files:

15. Rmuffler

Hello PatG,

Can you run our online scanner and let me know what happens?

Also, I would like to get you to our support engineers to take a better look at this issue. Please submit a case from here: http://www.eset.com/support/contact.php#

Please send me a private message here on the forums with the case number that you receive and with your customer information.

Thank you,
    Richard

16. PatG

PatG Registered Member

More than happy to do that! Perhaps engineers can look and fix it for future customers. The only time this thing becomes active is when 1st boot up occurs AFTER installation. All is dormant until the boot, so it would literally be impossible to get online for the scan. FIY, have already scanned when I could, per my previous post on this thread.
    Will send PM after getting a case #.

Thank you very much Richard.

17. PatG

PatG Registered Member

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Well peeps, ESET called this afternoon and a 75 min remote session was conducted by a fellow named, Jesus (hay-sus) and this guy knows his stuff!

Had to install some remote s/w that he sent me and after that turned control of computer over to him. He is so fast that it made me dizzy trying to keep up with him! Under the "Add/Remove" section of the control panel, he asked me if it would be ok to remove Acronis True Image. Yes, but I didn't even come close to thinking that was the problem, but after all was said and done that version, 7.0, WAS the booger and NOD is now running successfully w/either a warm or cold boot! :D :D

I publicly want to give a huge thanks to moderator Rmuffler for his assistance in helping me, as well as all others including "Lightening" Jesus. If it hadn't been for the support received guess I would have taken another route and the 2 yr license would have been trashed unused.

THANKS EVERYONE!:thumb: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.