NOD32 Update Problem

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by dueceswild, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dueceswild

dueceswild Registered Member

I am currently running a trial version of NOD32 4.0.474, and have been doing so the past 12 days. I have been very pleased with NOD32 in all aspects. Until today, I have had no problems.

The startup icon is green, indicating all is functioning normally. I checked the update screen today, and noticed the last successful update was 2/16/2010. I tried the manual update, and received the message that no update was necessary as the virus signatures were up to date. However, the last successful update still registered 2/16/2010.

I rebooted, same result of 2/16/10.

I cleared the update cache, rebooted, same result.

I uninstalled, restarted, reinstalled trial. Now, it appears as though I have another 30 days, but the virus signature database is listed at 4754 with a date of 1/8/2010. Not what I was looking for.

Thought I would try the beta. After reading a warning from XP telling me it may not be compatible, I install anyway. Everything looks good. Now the little icon is orange- NOD32 needs attention. Great. I know that. NOD tells me the virus signature is out of date. That's what I am looking for. Now we update. Except NOD32 won't update. Says I need a username and activation code. Never received one from ESET. I clicked the trial download, entered my email, received a link. Never entered anything into the trial version I was running. Maybe that is the problem, but it updated fine for 12 days.

So, I uninstalled, rebooted, re-installed the trial. I have again been awarded a fresh 30 days use, but with a virus signature database appearing to be over a month old, and the NOD icon telling me everything is fine.

I have made no system changes. The only event of note is that my browser came under attack on the 15th of this month as my wife was looking for sites to print off birthday invitations for our kids. As an aside, NOD32 withstood 61 trojans from some kind of site-deleted and quarantined them all. I ran scans all day with NOD32, NOD32 in safe mode, MBAM, MBAM in safe mode, Prevx, and Hitman Pro. Nothing found. And NOD32 updated 3 times after that- successfully. Note- MBAM is not, nor ever has it been, in real time. I was very impressed.

Still am, actually, and very much wanting this to work. Help?:(

edit: tried the tips from KB regarding disabling self defense, clearing cache, deleting program files, etc. No go. Back to 1/8/2010 definitions again.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  2. Toranaga

Toranaga Registered Member

I buy new PC yesterdey and instal nod32 trial and also can't update. :doubt:

3. dueceswild

After trying all morning, I finally got the 4880 update. But, this still doesn't address the underlying problem of why it took almost 12 hours to get a current update.

Is this common with NOD32?

4. Bille1

Bille1 Registered Member

Win 7 Pro 64....I'm in the same boat with you guys, I have an earlier 32 bit version (Licensed 'till April 2010) on another computer and have had no problems.

But this trial version for a 64 bit OS wont update...so after looking around it seems like this 64 bit version 4.0.740.0 is broken and ESET doesn't want or know how to fix it, this info I have gleaned from other posts.

So perhaps I have to consider another AV program.

5. dueceswild

I submitted a support ticket. They sent me a very detailed response asking me to do what I had already done. I explained all that in the initial request, so not much help there. Even though I finally got the update, still don't know what went wrong.

I was out of town a couple of days, and when I got back I turned the computer on and NOD updated automatically.

It would be nice for some clarification before spending money on this program. Kinda hard to justify buying NOD while still active with Avira; especially if I can't get it to update.

I understand occasional hiccups. If that is all that the update problem was, then that's fine. If the servers were overloaded, fine. But some explanation would be nice as to why NOD didn't update for 48 hours.

6. ernie40

ernie40 Registered Member

I'm not sure if this will help, as I'm a new user who just "paid up". I'm running the 32-bit version of XP, and had similar problems with the trial version of the current version of the antivirus to the ones you're describing (program said signature database was current, but it was not; could not manual update without getting the same message). However, at times it did update automatically. Submitted a ticket, received probably the standard response you received (clear cache, etc., etc.). Still had the same intermittant problem. Next response wanted me to completely clean out my prior install of VirusScan 8.7i Enterprise....I had already used the program's uninstall prior to installing nod32, but I went through a manual uninstall of files and (way too many :) registry keys. Nod32 then began to update automatically and "on time"....for a while. Frustrated (because I wanted it to work), I searched the internet (yet again) for possible solutions. I'm not sure if this is still the case (experts....please correct me if I'm wrong here), but it seems that, at least in the past, the trial versions were updated from a different server(s) vs. paid subscribers, and paid subscribers were higher on the totem pole for updates....so trial version users sometimes lagged behind with updates. Also, the problem was exacerbated with larger downloads that tied up the servers to a greater degree. From what I could tell, many of the postings I found indicated that the problems cleared up once the user upgraded to the full (paid) version. So, I went ahead and upgraded to the paid version, and haven't had a problem since (knock on wood)....and am currently a happy camper.

Again, this may be totally unrelated to your issues (esp. since different OS's)....just wanted to relate my experience.

7. dueceswild

Thanks for the reply ernie40. I don't know if that is correct, but it certainly makes sense. And if that is the case, I completely understand. Paid users SHOULD get priority.

Like you, I want it to work. I really like the program, and some of the functions it offers. Also, FWIW, I have removed (best I can tell) all of the previous AV traces.

8. dueceswild

Re: NOD32 Update Problem- Resolved

Just to resolve this older question (as I hate to have similar problems, search, and find one that explains my situation with no resolution), ESET support informed me that trial versions do update differently, with priority given to paid customers.

I have since purchased a 2 year license, and have had no problems on any front with NOD32.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.