Explorer Replacement Killer Apps:

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by apathy, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I have for a very long time thought explorer sucks as a file manager. There are far better ones in other operating systems. So I went out and first searched Lifehacker as I love that site. They had a list of good file managers for Windows.

Windows 7 file manager is a grade above the old explorer but still is just a few enhancements and a better gui.

Here are the best file managers that I have personally used:

Total Commander: Wow what a killer program that has so many great functions. It is a top notch program.

Cubic Explorer: This program can be used as a portable file manager and doesn't use the registry at all. Very low profile and a great file manager but no dual pane view yet.

Xplorer2: It is similar to Total Commander but has its own style and feature set. You can securely delete files with a key. It has a very nice transfer program like teracopy. The File syncronization and file versioning is very nice especially for programmers. The file and folder filtering system is deep and very useful for anyone. It also can replace explorer and that is something that Total Commander can't do yet without modifying the registry.

I use Xplorer2 the most because it works for me and I use Cubic Explorer as I put it on a USB drive for easy file managing.

Here are a few others that are good too:

Directory Opus, great app but cost way too much and tries to do to much.
    Unreal Commander, a TC close that is freeware
    XYplorer, Haven't tried it yet but heard it was good.

Check them out.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I was looking for a replacement for windows explorer for a long time. I did download XYplorer based on good reviews and immediately noticed a problem with it. When you are copying files between two tabs, as long as the copy progress windows is running, you can not use XYplorer. So, if you are copying something big from your external USB drive to your internal drive, which usually takes a while, then you have a problem, as you can not use anything else for the duration of the copying.

Do the top three you mentioned suffer from similar problem? or is this problem exclusively related to XYplorer?

3. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

4. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

Q-Dir and Free Commander are my favorites.

5. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I am using XYplorer but have not had occasion to try what you are describing but there may be a way around the problem. It is possible to open multiple incidents of the program at the same time. You may be able to use a 2nd one while the first is busy.

If you cannot try/test this yourself please let me know and I will do a test for you as soon as I can.

BTW I use TeraCopy to copy large chunks of data when I need to, this is likely why I have not experienced this issue with XYplorer.

6. guest

guest Guest

I tried several explorer replacements until I found the app that added just the functionality I wanted: Windows Double Explorer. It's lightweight, freeware, not intrusive, has built-in updater and doesn't add unneeded additional features.

I also use DigitalVolcano Duplicate Cleaner, WinZip Pro and some others apps related to Windows Explorer's features.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Besides Directory Opus, does anyone know of any Explorer replacement that can actually replace Explorer?

What I mean is that when you click "My Computer" or similar it will launch your preferred file manager instead of Explorer.

8. Raza0007

Hello bgoodman4,

I have checked the above and the only way to do it and use XYplorer is by running another instance of the program. The instance which is involved in copying, is frozen for the duration of the copying. I do not know what the problem is but it kind of defeats the benefit of "Tabbed Browsing". Since I prefer to have only one instance of XYplorer running at a time, it will remain a problem for me.

I found a option under Tools>configuration>advanced>"File operation dialog modeless", but even checking that option does nothing.

If you find someway around this problem do let me know, as otherwise I like XYplorer.

9. apathy

apathy Registered Member

In setup Xplorer2 can replace explorer. As far as I know there are only a few apps that can replace explorer. Xplorer2 acts more like explorer as Teracopy works fine in it and right clicking operates the same as explorer does.

10. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I've been using XYplorer for the last couple of months and did a lot of large-file (mostly 2-3 gigs) copying during that time. I am pretty much sure that I can use XY normally no matter what is being copied. I have no clue what's happening there Raza.

11. bgoodman4

I did a small test of this copying from one folder on the PC to a 2nd one and it worked fine. Mind you it was not a very large file so perhaps the problem has to do with the size of the file.

I will try to test using an external drive shortly and get back to you.

OK, I just tested copying a 1.5 gig set of mp3 files from my external drive to my C: drive and XYplorer was NOT locked during the process. I used copy / paste rather than drag and drop (is that what you were doing?). I would suggest you try again with a smaller set of files and perhaps a different copy paste method and see if there is any difference. If that fails perhaps a reinstall or you might want to write to the publisher and see what they have to say on the subject. I hope you get this worked out, XY is a very nice program.

Please let us know if you solve this.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  12. Raza0007

Seer, bgoodman4, thanks for the input. I have checked it on Winxp and it does not give me this problem there. I encounter this problem only on Vista. Are you two running Winxp or Vista?

I have posted this question on the XYplorer forum. Lets see what they say over there.

13. Raza0007

While browsing the XYplorer website, I ran across this info on making XYplorer your default file manager. I have not tried it though. I assume this is what you wanted?

14. bgoodman4

I am using XP so I guess this is why its working for me. Please keep us posted.

15. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Yes although Im curious to know about other file manager that can do that as well.

16. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I also run XY on XP. I don't have Vista, I have W7 on other laptop but can't try on it at the moment (it's gone for the weekend).

EDIT:

Seems you got the answer. No need to try on W7.

Cheers,

17. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Xplorer2 can do it upon install with a simple check box.
    Note: "My Computer" will not open with Xplorer2, but, selecting any file or drive within "My Computer" will invoke Xplorer2.

18. Raza0007

I downloaded Xplorer^2 and used it for a couple of hours. In my opinion, if you compare it with XYplorer, one on one basis, XYplorer has a clear edge. There are far too many differences to list, but main points going for XYplorer are the mini tree functionality, ability to right-click a folder in tree and open in new tab, ability to give each folder its own setting etc. XYplorer's GUI is also more user friendly.

If you have not tried it, you should give XYplorer a try.

I wanted to mention that Xplorer^2 does not have the copying bug (one I mentioned earlier) that is currently present in XYplorer under Vista/Win 7.

19. Raza0007

I do not think any third party file manager can completely replace windows explorer. Microsoft would not allow it, as this will compromise OS security.

20. Raza0007

Apparently it is a known bug in XYplorer under Vista/Win 7. See here

From what I gathered after reading about it, the bug has been around for months, but instead of fixing it, the developer is busy developing a whole new copy procedure that will completely bypass windows copy/move function! :rolleyes:

I guess the developer does not know how to correct the bug or otherwise he would have done it. I recently tested Xplorer^2 and it does not suffer from this bug, so it is not a function of Vista or Win 7, but the lack of understanding on the part of XYplorer's development team.

21. bgoodman4

So I guess it now comes down to a question of if XYs advantages (mini-tree etc) outweigh its short coming (the copy issue). Just curious what you have decide to do regarding using XY or not.

PS: I have 2 different configurations of XY, one that I use when I am downloading music and want to make sure I am not downloading a track I already have, and one for regular use. To allow me to open the correct configuration of the program I have created 2 different icons on my desktop. This could possibly work for you when you are copying files and XY is locked. Simply click on the 2nd icon and open a 2nd incident of XY untill the copy function is done.

IMO XY is by far the best of the bunch. I keep discovering new functions that I have never seen in other Explorer replacements. For example (and this is just the latest) I noticed last night that I can change mp3 tag info from within XY. All you have to do is click on the file in XY, open the preview pane, click on the tag info you want to change in the preview pane, change it, and hit enter.

Its a shame the copy function in Vista is problematic but I guess it will be fixed eventually. Is there any time line provided?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  22. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Does XY support WebDAV / ftp network protocol / connectivity?

23. bgoodman4

I have no idea. Probably a good place to ask this is on the XYplorer forum.

24. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi,

(I am not sure whether this belongs here in this thread, sorry)

Maybe Classic Shell is something to look at for Vista and Windows 7:
    http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

There is also a thread about it at DSLR/BBR:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23627638-WIN7-Return-Classic-Start-Menu-Display-Free-Space-in-WE

PS: I haven't tried it; I'm on XP-home.

25. Raza0007

I will keep on using it. The way around the copy problem is to run another instance of the program, while the first is frozen doing the copying.

As far as fixing the problem, the guy on the XYplorer thread said it will most likely be fixed with the release of version 9, but he had no idea when the new version will be released.

Apart from this problem, I like the features of XYplorer. But, I will keep on trying other file managers too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.