pc tools threatfire

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iii, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iii

iii Registered Member

if i have avast paid working real-time with malwarebytes is there much of a difference in getting pc tools threatfire? im thinking of adding it since it's unique compared to other security protection softwares

What are peoples experiences with it does it actually catch stuff?

2. guest

guest Guest

I think that you have enought protection, anyway avira will add something similar to Threatfire in Avira 10

3. iii

iii Registered Member

Will the avira product be able to download separate like threatfire

4. guest

guest Guest

No, as far as I know it will be included in avira 10

New Features

* Avira AntiVir ProActiv
    Starting with Version 10, we integrated the new behavior-based detection technology. Read more details under "Avira AntiVir ProActiv".
    * Improved User Interface
    We have revised and updated the user interface. Among other things, we have optimized the grouping of configuration settings for Normal mode and Expert mode. You are more than welcome to give us your feedback on this.
    * Time scheduling in the Parental Control
    You can now set surfing time restrictions in the Parental Control module, by selecting the exact surfing hours or allocating specific time limits.
    * Generic malware removal and the new AntiVir Guard
    The Guard can now repair your system, in case of active malware. Basically, when malware is detected, the access is denied and you can press the Remove button in the slide-up or view more details first, before removing it. The malware removal should now work even in case of unknown, active malware.
    * Optional email footer
    AntiVir MailGuard can now insert an email footer to the sent emails, specifying that the email is “Checked by AntiVir“ and eventually adding other optional texts.

Avira AntiVir ProActiv

ProActiv is a new Avira technology for detecting Malware based on its behavior. If there are activities of virulent origin, Avira AntiVir ProActiv blocks them. Avira AntiVir ProActiv completes the existing signature-based, generic and heuristic detection processes, with an advanced method meant to effectively protect you against infection with unknown malware. Please note, that due to its behavior-based approach, Avira AntiVir ProActiv cannot guarantee 100% malware detection. It may happen that some malware is not detected or that some clean files are erroneously reported as malware.

http://betatest.avira.com/products/productdetails.php?id_prd=68

5. progress

progress Guest

Here you are :)

6. iii

iii Registered Member

thanks what about prevx free edition? i just noticed it after surfing these boards. Any experiences with prevx?

7. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Prevx free can only remove some rootkits and adware the pro version can remove everything it finds.

8. iii

iii Registered Member

i see so the free version seem's pointless if you have layers of security already

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Also, Prevx free doesn't block malware. It merely lets you know that it's present. That's okay, IF you do frequent imaging -- so you can restore a clean image. OR you can purchase a 1-month subscription to non-free Prevx & let it do the cleaning.

Threatfire is an excellent freebie. It BLOCKS baddies. Gives great protection right out of the box, but is also gloriously configurable -- if you enjoy tweaking then use TF's Wizard or, better yet, search this forum for TF posts by our own human wizard-of-TF, namely Kees1958.

10. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

11. bellgamin

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  12. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

The guys from PC Tools promised me to implement a new feature of ThreatFire after they have rehauled the programs's code (again from 3 to 3.5 also was a major overhaul)

This feature will be to "set the SENSITIVITY level" in the custom rules

So it would be possible to create a rule like

When a "Email program or Browser" executes set the Sensitivity Level to 4

or When any process executes from the folders (the admin space folders like C:\Windows, Prgram Files) set the Sensitivity level to 2

So this would facilitate a per process sensitivity level, which greatly enhances the effectiveness of TF, because higher risk processes will have a higher sensitivity level.

When that is realised, I will do some testing to get a feel with the default rules (which problably implement above variations which are: trusted source = level 2, threatgate source = level 4, all other sources will be assigned level 3) and either some extra rules or combine Sully's PGSv2 with it.

13. guest

guest Guest

Is possible if TF import and export rules? this would be great, we could share rules in files.

14. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

This is a very good question... I don't see this in the Custom Rules, and it's a most needed feature indeed IMO.

15. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Well custom rules were considered a error/mistake of the past, in which cyberhawk failed to be economic viable. Djames did an awfull lot of lobbying to keep them in the 3.5 overhaul. I would ask every body to post this in the feature list of TF. IMPORT/EXPORT

16. bellgamin

The last I heard, all your TF custom rules and exceptions are stored in a file named 'General.dat'. On WinXP its under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\PC Tools\Threatfire

Ergo, I see no reason why you couldn't PM someone {such as Kees 1958 ;) } & request them to email you a copy of their General.dat.

17. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

18. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Kees, without me being a thread-miner, what happened to djames? I read some posts on the pc tools forum, one he responded to you, and noticed he's listed as 'guest'.

19. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Threatfire needs another rule added:

"Please restore my keyboad- it's borked by TF!"

20. bellgamin

NOT so similar IMO.

Avira 10's Proactive is basically non-configurable. Threatfire, on the other hand, is hugely configurable & even enables the user to write his/her own rules. Also, TF has several optional & powerful pre-set rules developed by advanced users such as Kees1958.

Although TF is basically a BB (Behavior Blocker), TF's rule-setting abilities make it capable of being made almost as powerful as a full-scope classic HIPS. Avira's Proactive is also a BB, but it has zero user configuration options.

AFAIK, Twister is the only AV that also incorporates a highly configurable BB. Sadly, Twister's AV component is pretty much outdated & nowhere near as effective as the top-tier AVs such as Avira, Avast, Kaspersky, NOD32, etc.

21. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Agree bellgamin, how powerful it can actually be.

That would be a good rule actually. lol But, to be fair, threatfire has prevented many users from their whole system being borked. ;)

Anyone know if the new version has addressed slow downs, keyboard problems, uninstall issues?

22. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Hehe, to be honest I've never had those serious lock-out issues, even though I think my system has indeed felt faster with other solutions. :) I never doubt its effectiveness against all malware - including rogues (yes, you can gladly ask me about that one ;)).

23. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I'm on a x64 system so my Avira ProActiv won't really work... therefore I am using Threatfire in conjunction with Avira.

24. bellgamin

Excellent combination! :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.