Iron (Chromium) 4.0.275.0 RC

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pinga, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Download
    http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php

Portable version
    http://www.srware.net/downloads/IronPortable.zip

2. korben

korben Registered Member

Pleasantly surprised with v3
    Eager to test v4 when it's ready

3. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

v4 Chrome and Iron are released.

I only use Chrome, which still feels the same as v3 - so still a happy bunny :)
    Presume Iron the same.

It amazes me how updates and releases to software so often make things worse, which is why I moved to Chrome in the first place. Glad
    they're keeping it light and simple.

4. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Personally, I'd rather use Chromium than Iron. Chromium is updated a lot more often (obviously). Only thing I really see that Iron has over Chromium is the built in ad filtering.

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

you can easily kill the issues with chrome like user id etc. its not hard and im not talking about unchrome. and now chrome has almost every add on available that ones like chrome plus have like ie tab etc. i just dont see why there is a need for anything else based on chrome than chrome. i fixed the userdata file a long while back and remove the update tasks etc. nothing wrong with iron but i dont see the point.

as well if you use iron and use google as your search engine they know what you search for anyway lol..also chromeplus and iron are updated very rarely where chrome gets fixes very often

6. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

How is it done?
    Simple: Iron doesn't have the privacy issues that are inherent to Chrome and it is truly portable!

7. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

What is the difference between Chromium and Iron? I'm using Chromium because there is a Roboform toolbar that works well with it.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Can u make Chromium/ Chrome like Iron? Is it easy n straight forward? I have this Q in my mind since long.

If it,s easy why they bother for a whole new project for Iron, just for this small modification in Chromium?

Ohhh I almost forgot... does Chromium has same privacy issues like Chrome?

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

You can use Google without the involuntary feedback from you to them. Simply "Scroog the Goog" by using THIS.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    As to Chromium & its offspring -- they all use a separate instance of the exe for EACH tab that you have open. For instance -- if you have 10 tabs open, check Task Master & see that at least 10 instances of chrome.exe are running.

The Chrome-clones *rationalize* this plethora of running exe's by saying that this is the result of each individual tab being sandboxed. I'm sure that's true, but Sandboxie will sandbox any number of tabs on any browser, and Sandboxie doesn't need to run an added exe for each opened tab.

You guessed it -- I am NOT a fan of any of the Chrome-clones.

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

^ Doesn't Chrome also have the separate exe for each tab?

Also the point of having each tab as a separate instance helps for sites (or plugins) that might otherwise cause the browser to crash. Instead you can just close the problematic tab without affecting any others.

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

anyone can edit the user data file to eliminate the info. then simply make it a read only. it will then try to make another one. then edit again and once again make it read only then it will not try to make a new one

12. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

I think you might be confused. Chromium is the base that is used for Chrome. So Chrome does the exact same things that Chromium does PLUS whatever Google throws in.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Both Sandboxes are a bit different.

BTW they implemented separate tabs so if one tab will crash, others will not.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  14. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

15. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

hey thanks bud....yeah is superfast...the only thing i don't like about this is
    that i can not display the bookmarks on the same horizontal line than address bar,bac and forward botton,,to show the bookmark bar takes another line,under the mentiones already....unless there is a way i can put it like IE

16. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

17. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I've used Firefox for the past 7 years and honestly, never thought i would give it up until trying "Iron" yesterday. And i agree "Wow". LastPass installed in it fine and just have to figure out how to get my download manager and or flashgot to integrate and function. But "WOW", i feel "50 pounds lighter" :thumb:

18. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

19. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Iron is not based off Chrome, it is based off Chromium. Chrome itself is also based off Chromium -- Chromium is the source of all of them. That's why I just use Chromium -- like Iron, it doesn't have any built-in tracking. Google is the one who adds the built-in tracking after they take the Chromium source and turn it into Chrome.

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi I wonder if it is true, then what is the fun of a whole project with Iron?

21. chronomatic

From Google Chrome's Help Page:

Now, as for why Iron exists, I don't know. Since the Chromium source code is licensed (mostly) under the BSD license, this means other developers can take the code and modify it as they please. It could be that the Iron devs have future plans for a "fork" away from the official source code. But, as of right now, there seems to be very little difference between Iron and Chromium other than the built-in ad blocker.

22. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

23. chronomatic

24. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Main reason for the first relaese was that Iron used the latest webkit and provided a simple adblocker, I do not know whether they still implement the latest webkit version or just use the one Chromium currently uses.

For that smart first release I still use Iron, together with
    - adsweep
    - IE tab
    - chrome currency converted (changes most into Euro's)
    - WOT (web of trust)
    - New Tab Behaviour (to display something different that the new tab)
    - Blue glossy skin (standard theme)

It loads incredible fast on a single core CPU. Yes they are slow on updates, but often match official Chrome releases with a few days.

Regards Kees

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.