Norton Internet Security 2010 questions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by gery, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gery

gery Registered Member

I have two questions about the latest NIS
    1- Does it have an option to change the language from that of installation? I installed it it i found out it was in itallian. Can i change it to Enlgish?
    2-i find the firewall really not very strong does it work properly? i mean is it really safe?
    example; it failed the grc.test leaktest in both 360 and NIS 2010 versions.
    does this mean anything or am i just fine with that?
    Now please don't ask me how do i feel for i know it is not a matter of feelng.
    thanks in advance
    Gery

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

When I installed mine it installed in English so I really have no idea why yours poped up in Italian, I would say redownload the install package if you need English. As for the firewall it works fine just like any other firewall. Leak tests, tests hips and hips alone they are NOT firewall tests even tho some are mislabeled as such. I use NIS 2010 on one of my laptops it works as good as my standalone setup's on my other computers.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You can download the english version of NIS 2010 from softpedia.com. If you uninstall the Italian version selecting the "custom" option the settings and license key will be saved (though it's a good idea to write it down). It installs/uninstalls really fast - probably take you <15 minutes including reboots.

4. icr

icr Registered Member

I don't think NIS provides multilingual setup you have some suffix with it (EN,IT,GR) or similar to this.

The firewall is good enough to provide you protection you can also select to be interactive and so that you will be asked about what actions are to performed for different applications behavior.

5. Michael York

Michael York Registered Member

Hi gery,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

You can install the English version of Norton Internet Security 2010 and you will use the same Activation Key to activate the product. However, you will first need to properly remove the current version you have installed by following the instructions below.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Click on the link below and then choose the "Download" button under Norton Internet Security to download the latest installer.

Download the latest installer for Norton Internet Security

4. When the installation is complete, launch Norton Internet Security and manually run LiveUpdate to ensure you have the latest updates applied.

The Norton Firewall is a full-featured, two-way Firewall that contains many options. If you need further assistance with configuring the Norton Firewall, please let me know and I would be happy to assist. Make sure that the Windows Firewall is disabled after installing Norton Internet Security, and also make sure that you do not have any other Firewall running at the same time as the Norton Firewall, so that you don't experience any conflicts.

Thank you,
    Mike

6. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Hi Mike, in NIS 2010 how does one exclude all files at the root level of a hard drive without excluding sub-directories and files within them? For example, if I add C: to the exclusion list NIS 2010 will ask me to confirm if I want to exclude everything (i.e. all sub-directories and files within) on C: despite I do not choose to include sub-directories.

Thanks.
    Lu Chin

7. gery

gery Registered Member

Mike
    I would like to thank you a lot for being so prompt to answer all of my and others questions. i resolved the issue by reinstalling NIS again. i did everything you said. I like both Norton 360 and NIS and i am using them currenlty though i think NIS is far better for my needs and lighter.
    Gery

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  8. Michael York

Hi lu-chin,

Can you please clarify what you are trying to exclude from scanning and why?

To keep your system secure you never want to exclude the root level of your drive from being scanned, as many threats can target the root level of the drive. If for some reason you needed to exclude a particular directory or file from being scanned, you would want to add it to the "Scan Exclusions" list and not the "Auto-Protect Exclusions" list, as Auto-Protect is the real-time scanning engine in Norton Internet Security. If you needed to exclude a directory, you would then check the box that says "Include subfolders" which appears when you click the "Add" button.

The scanning in Norton Internet Security 2010 takes place when your computer is in the Idle state, unless you manually invoke a scan. Any directories or files that you add to this list would not be scanned, so you need to be really careful when adding these to the list.

Thanks,
    Mike

9. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Hi Mike, thanks for the detailed explanation. I was adding G:\ to the scan (not auto protect) exclusion and I did not select the option to include sub-directories. However when I clicked OK, NIS 2010 still warned that the entire drive would be excluded. If I did the same procedure but instead was excluding G:\test or some other sub-directories then things worked fine. I understand from the info you posted about NIS 2010 wanted to protect the root directory of any given storage device. But I also think the way scan exclusion + the include sub-directories option works together in the case of excluding Drive: is misleading/confusing. I think if the choice to not include sub-directories is there and the user chooses it, the program should respect this choice.

Cheers.
    Lu

10. Michael York

Hi lu_chin,

The message that you see when you selected the "OK" button after choosing the drive/subfolder is a bit confusing, I agree. However, this issue is UI related and does not affect how the Exclusion feature would function.

I would suggest that you click on the "Leave Feedback" link in the main Norton Internet Security 2010 window so that the Symantec engineers can see it and make the necessary adjustments.

Thank you,
    Mike

11. icr

icr Registered Member

@ Michael York

I too have one question regarding the removal of malware. I have tested norton with many threats but for some threats norton takes considerable amount of time and also almost half of my CPU usage and in worst cases it spikes to 100% I also guarantee that the threats are not executed I first scan with it but still norton takes time to remove the malwareo_O

I know it is a known problem but I think it was with the previous builds I have the latest build of norton(17.5.X) and still the problem isn't resolved.

I think my question is clear:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.