2010 Predictions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

went back and checked my 2009 ones and was 100 percent accurate.:cautious:

Here we go and follow with yours.

I expect the broadest changes yet to the conventional AV and Suite to date. This will be a year when the wheel does get reinvented. I think we will see joint ventres between vendors in all aspects of products into their lines. So here are just a few for me. Sandbox will be the key.

Eset: will release version 5 with a few twists. I see them entering into a venture with Tzuk to incorporate Sandboxie into their suite. I see a few other possible twists being added to version 5 yet to be determined. I see them regaining their choke hold on being number 1.

Avast: Their new version will be a hit, we all pretty much know what it will have but it will propel them to a close rival to Eset.

Avira: Not so good. Falling behind in technology advancements will hinder them quite a bit. 2011 will be a better year after a reorganization of their company.

Kaspersky: 64 bit Sandbox and a strong push to do away with popups and make their suite more user friendly

Panda: All their hard work will start to pay off, a good year for them.

Norton and Mcafee: will continue to make strong products that perfom at the top. The issue will be the same as the old, getting folks to actually believe them.

Prevx: This is a tough one. 2009 was very good to them. I think they will revisit the idea of SafeOnline, keep it, but make some major changes into what it actually does. Also look for their product being one contracted out to other vendors.

Defensewall: A good year for Ilya, and yes, he will get a skin for 2010. I also look for Ilya to possible venture outside the box with contracting his product.

Geswall: Their will be a new version, it will work with 64 bit and then the product will be sold to another vendor.:blink:

Their will be plenty of new startups trying to venture into solidity with a stand alone product or prove themselves and hopefully have their technology purchased. But the all in one product will be a good AV, with Sandboxing and Behavior Blocking with a firewall that all of these basically require very little user action.

It is going to be the most interesting year to date for malware products.

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Oh and almost forgot. The 2 vendors that will be the biggest surprise for 2010.
    Trend Micro and Hitman Pro.

3. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

(My Prediction)
    Microsoft takes over the world, Everyone uses Microsoft.

{All glory to the Hypnotoad :eek:}

4. tsec

tsec Registered Member

My money's on the toad.

:cool:

5. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

hey Trjam if you dont mind my asking, Where do you get your predictions? I mean I know from reading some of your posts that you are very knowledgeable on this subject but you talk like maybe you got a little bit of inside information. Just curious. I can agree with you though on a lot of these predictions.

If I had to predict I'd say that this year will be big for F-Secure and they will become more popular.

6. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

I have one prediction. People will buy less software this year. Less security software for sure. They'll have to react to all this so get ready to see some nasty malware out there and for sure the media will cause panic about destructive infections.

I have seen this game again.

trjam, I like your predictions. Only that these are unpredictable times that we live.

7. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

And something else: I see huge advance for a-squared and OA.

8. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

I can definitely agree with this. With the new and very awesome Avast 5 free and Microsoft Security Essentials, and Panda Cloud, you might see the other free AV's start to step it up a little and definitely the big commercial guys, so very good point NoIos.

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I can see many of the security suites branching out and adding more components. Now suites seem to have everything from spam filters to parental control, system optimizers, back-up/restore, etc. And those are the suites that good ratings (generally) from the PCmag type reviews that the mainstream consumers take note of.

I suspect that security suites will begin to add such things as system snap shots/images as well as having the capability to check all system programs for updates, including flash & java updates- pretty much all internet facing apps; kinda like what CleanSofts' UpdateNotifier or FileHippo's UpdateChecker does now. And I think they will try to incorporate media security into their suites- such things as YouTube flash media downloaders, mp3 downloaders, etc. This is an area that have area to advertise to the mainstream.

We have seen lots of security products begin to bundle toolbars the past few years. Now Avast has bundled an entire internet browser. I think we will see more of these creative combo's to give some of the companies a competitive edge. We could see a program like AVG partner with IDM (Internet Download Manager) or Kaspersky make a deal to partner with an ad company (like McAfee did with DoubleClick). I'm not saying we WILL see it, just that we might.

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

in before /threadclosed due to A vs B. :D

11. Phenom

Phenom Registered Member

like trjam said, i personally think eset is going to get their number one spot back.
    avast 5 going to be good
    hopefully pctools can improve

12. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I see nothing but positive signs with Online Armor and Prevx as well as Panda for 2010. Their interest and involvement in development as displayed here at Wilders is very impressive...:eek: :D

13. risl

risl Registered Member

There will be a full 64-bit version of Dr.Web, 3rd generation spider, better quarantine and hopefully a better gui. Dr.Web pro will be released with a firewall.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hey, that's impressive. How about a link to that post?

15. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

My Prediction;)
    MBAM will introduce HIPS and Behavior Blocker.:D
    Eset will launch V5 with HIPS, sandbox, parental control, bahavior blocking.
    SSM will start again.
    ESET firewall No.1 in matousec.com:D

Hope this prediction works:D

16. icr

icr Registered Member

I don't know prediction about suites in 2010 but I know one thing Malware will become more smarter to bypass all those suites:D

17. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

IMO. 2010 will bring better tests now that the company's out there are asking to have the whole product tested not just parts of it. We will see some company's rise quickly to the top and some top performers fall hard on there rear. Only time will tell tho. ;)

18. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Predictions.....the current stampede by AV vendors to cloud technology will continue along with the move to Sandboxing type technologies.
    Hidden rootkits will continue to be the rage with virus writers leaving the AV industry unsuccessfully scrambling to keep up.
    And lastly, Trjam will continue to hold on to his record of most avatar changes in one day by a Wilderite. :D (Had to throw that little rib in)

19. icr

icr Registered Member

lol:D

20. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I predict that various av test results will divide the forum,with half saying the results are meaningless and the methods used are hopeless the other half will praise these tests saying they give accurate results(guess which half have av's that do well and which have av's that do badly!)

21. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I predict that its going to be a good year for Panda, Microsoft Security Essentials, Sunbelt Software, and Avast! :D

22. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Microsoft Security Essentials = :thumb: (if they can continue their progress)

Antivirus vendors = :thumbd: ... Lean days ahead for the competition.

23. lonelywolf

lonelywolf Registered Member

Bitdefender will have a much better firewall. Trend Micro and AVG will become lighter on system resources, they will probably go for the in the cloud security model. Eset will be heavier than ever, probably adding some parental control component and a behavioural blocker, perhaps incorporating sandboxie as well. Kaspersky will be lighter than ever, probably adding some community based riskware indicator. Norton will improve their firewall. Vipre, Defensewall and a-squared will become more popular than ever. Panda will be light on system resources and will improve its detection rate of malware by incorporating a better firewall. Avast will be very light and will improve its detection rate of malware as well but their firewall will prove to be their weakest spot. PCTools a bit lighter but still heavy, but at least will prove itself as a good malware blocker. Prevx will be very popular and very light on system resources, will also integrate a firewall component. Avira and Mcafee not so good.
    :isay:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  24. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC
    I predict that trjam's prediction will come true, but his was an incomplete prediction. eset, Tzur, Prevx, and Tallemu will merge, but not make a suite. They will have complementary components taking the metaphor from stereo systems. Suites are as cumbersome and inflexible as battleships; you need something with HIPS, sandboxing, heuristics, and cloud.

25. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I reckon there will be a steadily increasing demand for security products designed to work on non-MS OS, as more exploits are launched designed to infect them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.