Dell OEM & another computer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by CustomHVAC, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CustomHVAC

CustomHVAC Registered Member

Was hoping you guys could answer a quick question,

I have to Install a new hard drive on a Gateway Computer, I only have Dell OEM disks (xp pro & home). Can I install Windows using these disks? (I have used them many times for Dell computers, but I think I remember something about OEM disks had to be used on dell?

I do have the Windows key on the side of the Gateway, Can I use the Dell OEM disks & that key?
    (I'm waiting for the HD to arrive & figured I better ask now, in case I need to get Gateway OEM or whatever that computer came with (Gateway is not mine - friend / favor)

Thanks!

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I tried it once on my old desktop not long ago. Things might have changed.

My wife has a Dell, fairly new. I screwed something up on mine, so figured I could just reformat and install a new OS using her Dell CD. It reformatted fine. Then, refused to install. I don't remember the exact wording but something to the effect that the system I was trying to install on wasn't a Dell system.

Might just have been my 5 year old desktop, too, that these days mostly runs on a wing and a prayer.

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    "Most" Dell restore CDs will look for a special coding on the BIOS of the Dell computers. Thus, if attempting to use on another brand computer...it will fail the verification test and not proceed.

Some other brands do similar checks...such as Compaq or HP.

OEM licensing..that software "lives and dies with the computer it was purchased with". Non-transferrable.

4. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I use a HP OEM Restore Disk for XP in our home. I also have a Dell Windows 7 Ultimate Disk, All of them install fine I just have to have a OEM key to activate.

I have used the Dell Win7 Disk on 3 different computers and the HP XP disk on the other 3 all of them work fine even tho none of them are HP and only my laptop is Dell.

5. Durad

Durad Registered Member

With Dell XP licence you need DELL XP

To use Gateway licence you need Gateway windows XP, othervise it wont activate.

6. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

This is why I'm not buying another Dell.My friend has purchased a Windows 7 installation cd that's not oem and I could've got it for a great price from him.But I can't install it on my Dell though :(

7. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

By "a Windows 7 installation cd that's not oem" do you mean a retail Win 7? Because I'd expect that to install on a Dell system.

I understand and expected the previously described scenarios; Dell OEM restore disc won't work on non-Dell hardware, and likely the same with HP and Gateway restore discs as well. But if I get the urge to buy Windows 7 (full or upgrade versions) in order to upgrade my mom's old HP desktop, I'd expect it to work.

8. rookieman

Yes it is a retail version of windows 7 bought at Walmart.It's the premium version.

9. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Not exactly true. I have installed a HP OEM on a Dell once Normally it just makes you phone Microsoft for a Confirmation number.

Tho this can cause alot of confusion your normally just better off matching OEM to computer CD keys.

10. CustomHVAC

You guys are the best - thanks for input, unfortunately NO ONE online could have helped this one!!

No matter what I tried - the GATEWAY computer just kept trying to reboot, UBCD, Dell OEM, nothing! I took the HD out & attached it to my DELL externally as usb & my system wouldn't even recognize it as a hard drive.

I kept trying when I noticed the cd drives didn't make a lot of noise when spinning (tiny bit of sound), for the heck of it I replaced the CD drive with a spare & put the DELL OEM DISC in & I restarted again, this time it DID make it to the recovery console. From the recovery console I was able to repair all the errors.

Now all is fine with the computer, except the 1 cd & 1 dvd drive, I verified cd/dvd failure with spares that DO WORK

I was just wondering if anyone had any Idea on what could have killed both drives & caused errors on HD? (not my computer, just helping another friend, I'm backed up with Paragon :)

11. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Correct, Retail OS CDs don't have any pre-qual checks performed..as they're designed to be installed on ANYthing. A Dells info in the BIOS for an OEM cd pre-qual will not stop a retail cd install.

12. rookieman

So your telling me I can do this?

13. CustomHVAC

rookieman.........."So your telling me I can do this?"

100% YES
    You CAN install a RETAIL VERSION of WIN 7 on ANY computer, any brand (provided it meets MS 7 requirements)
    we we're talking a vice versa situation, an OEM Dell, Gateway,Compaq, etc may NOT always work on "other" brand computers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.