Detecting Returnil status before browsing

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by regeu, Nov 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. regeu

regeu Registered Member

I was wondering if there is a way, perhaps through a batch file, which can determine whether Returnil is in a safe mode or not and would run the browser only if Returnil is in safe mode? I was thinking along the lines of Sandboxie which has created an icon "Sandboxed Web Browser" on my desktop. Double clicking on the same automatically launches the default web browser within the Sandboxie environment.

Presently I am using a batch file which requires a user input to launch the browser when Returnil is in safe mode. The user has to reply "Y" or "N" to the question "Is Returnil in safe (Red) mode?" Depending on the user input, the batch file launches the browser or quits.

Is there a way for the batch file to test whether Returnil is in safe mode or not? This will enable me to do away with the user input and possible errors. For example if a user mistakenly enters "Y" even though protection is off, the batch file will launch the browser.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Regards.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi regeu,
    Interesting idea and something that will be sent to the team for potential inclusion in a future build that includes improved automation features.

Mike

3. regeu

regeu Registered Member

Hi Mike,
    I just thought of something more. At times one may need to run the browser when Returnil is not in "Safe mode" especially while upgrading to a newer version,using addons etc. Could a warning/ periodical nag pop-up be incorporated which will remind the administrator/user to put Returnil in "Safe mode" at the earliest? I do not know whether this would be feasible but it would be nice to have this feature.

Regards

regeu

4. Coldmoon

regeu,
    While this is not available as an automated feature, you can go at it from a manual direction through a CMD file:

Create a "safe_browser.cmd" with the following content:
    Code:
    =====
    @echo off
    %ProgramFiles%\Returnil\RVS3\RVSGUI.EXE /SESSIONLOCK
    start http://www.google.com
    The effect when you activate the CMD file will be to activate RVS System Safe in Session Lock mode (valid for the current boot session only) and then launch your default browser to open the applicable URL you want. In this example it would open Google, but you can change it to anything you like.

Let me know if that helps get you closer to your goal.

Mike

5. regeu

regeu Registered Member

Thanks Mike. I think this should work. I shall try it out and then let you know.

Regards,

Regeu

6. Coldmoon

Hi,
    Have an update on how to force the CMD file to launch a chosen browser rather than your default browser. To do this:

Instead of "start http://mysite" just use "start C:\Path\To\Browser\Browser.exe http://mysite"

Remember to keep the spacing in the command line ;)

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.