Open Candy virus - audacity and media coder from sourceforge.net

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by jadejadejade, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jadejadejade

jadejadejade Registered Member

Dear Coldman,

Pls note the following from other blogs but all in chinese:

http://richardfx.blogspot.com/2009/08/opencandy.html

You can guess the existence of such virus by noting the word of Open Candy, Audacity, Media Coder, Bittorent, all of which is suspected to have Open Candy. Also noted is the removal method. You can guess if you do not know Chinese words.

Pls comment a bit. Thanks a lot.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2. Windchild

Windchild Registered Member

For those who don't know Chinese, there's very little to comment on.

3. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

So it displays ads inside installers. Oh noes the Armageddon is near!!!!1111

5. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

I'm using a software from SourceForge that is a member of OpenCandy. OpenCandy is only included in the installer versions and not in the portable ones. The OpenCandy page (in the installer) offers to download and install other softwares (that are part of OpenCandy). The download and install options are unchecked by default. Still, a form of advert.

6. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

This thread title is highly misleading from the sound of it,Open Candy Virus? This appears to be no more than a piece of harmless adware.:rolleyes:

7. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I'm sorry but seeing someone say adware is harmless makes me cringe, I have seen adware screw up a computer worse then a virus can. It just all depends. :blink:

8. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I wasn't saying that all Adware is harmless,just this particular item. Adware becomes plain and simple malware when it screws up computers,however in this case it is harmless in the same way that Windows Live Messenger's ads are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.