Managing License - Error: (CHK007)

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Bound4Earth, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bound4Earth

Bound4Earth Registered Member

To whom it may concern,

I re-install windows on my laptop 3-4 times a year. I've only deactivated my license twice after re-installs, which is hassle enough. Now after trying to deactivate the license once again it gives me an error:

Error: (CHK007) No further system changes are allowed on this license

I read something about PMing Prevx Admin to Reactivate my license, but now the forums are saying "The private messaging system is currently unavailable."

The computer I'm using this license on is the same laptop. Can you please collect more info if you have to so I don't have to deactivate my license if I reinstall. This is a nightmare and having to reset a license 1-2 times a year is a joke, if it's the same exact computer/windows version. I could understand if I was bouncing Prevx between computers, but it's the same laptop. Could you guys at least consider changing policy or licensing deactivation when the hardware ids are exactly the same.

I use Eset NOD32 and this is just like an extra dash of protection that isn't really necessary with NODs reputation and so far has been a hassle after every windows reinstall. This isn't a threat, but if I run into this license reset hassle again after I get it reset whenever the forums stop bugging out and let me PM, I'll have to uninstall your software.

I know companies like to protect they're investment, but sometimes it hurts people who want to support you. When your copy protection is so invasive that someone like myself that does reinstall windows multiple times a year on the same computer has to reset licenses once or twice a year, then your added protection turns into a headache. It leaves computers unprotected maybe only a few days, but what good is your protection if it's not 24/7.

Sorry about the rant, but when you install windows a lot you want a hassle free install.

Thanks in advance for the license reset help.

2. guest

guest Guest

I had this problem once too and I can tell you from own experience that it is annoying having to contact prevx support because you are at some point not allowed anymore to manage your license with MyPrevx function yourself. Unfortunately I had to write some emails before something happened and got very mad about it. :D

But I understood you are installing your systems from scratch regularly? Then next time the solution should be simple: Just uninstall Prevx from the 'old' system before setting up the 'new' one. - In my case this wasn't possible because winxp was dead, but in your's it should help. - But now in your situation you just have to wait for support to answer. Either here or at their website. ;)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  3. Bound4Earth

Bound4Earth Registered Member

I didn't think about uninstalling before reinstalling windows.

Does that allow me to install Privx and activate it through the management page? If so I'll keep that in mind, although it's still a hassle. It reminds me of the current video game copy protection. You can only install it 5 times even though it's the same computer, but if you uninstall before you gain one of your installs back.

I hope the software industry becomes more relaxed when it comes to same computer reinstall.

Edit: thanks for the input

4. guest

guest Guest

Yes, I think that should work. The problem might be that the old license is for Prevx 'in use' though the system exists no more. - And if you setting up your system new you get another random hostname. And then it's 'new' for Prevx and they think another one is using your license additionally. ;) - Uninstalling Prevx should prevent that.

That information might be completely wrong but it is what I right now believe how this works. :cool: - PrevxHelp or Designer :) will surely correct me if I am wrong here. If PM are not allowed at this time I would contact Prevx support directly via support system (built in their software) if I were you.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  5. PrevxWebDesigner

PrevxWebDesigner Former Prevx Moderator

Hi,

To clarify: Uninstalling Prevx will not automatically deactivate your license, allowing it to then be activated on another / replacement machine.

The correct procedure is as you have already attempted - which is by using the MyPrevx console to deactivate your previous machines, which then frees up the license to be activated on another machine.

However, as you have experienced, for people who might regularly reformat their machines, then they unfortunately get caught in our automated protection routines setup to protect against license abuse. The only current way around this is to contact us at Prevx support, where we will then manually deactivate this for you.

We admit this isn't viable solution, which is why we're improving our machine detection capabilities which should be rolled out with the next public release. Once these are in place, then this should hopefully remove the need to deactivate / reactivate your license when it's simply the same machine which has been reformatted :)

In the meantime, feel free to write into Prevx Support at the link below, and someone will deactivate your license for you asap :)
    http://info.prevx.com/service.asp

6. guest

guest Guest

Thanks for clarification and eradication of my wrong belief. :cool:

But I think here is something your customers should know about:

There are consequences to getting a MyPrevx account! One of them is not being anymore 'anonymous' to Prevx, right? Because after that step you have the connection between gathered data in the cloud and customer name, email etc. - If I am not totally wrong *again* here? ;)

And JFYI: I for example registered at MyPrevx (not knowing all this then if I remember correctly) just because I had the same license managing problem ages ago too.

So until the new version is released I would suggest you let their support do it's work for you and *NOT* try it yourself via MyPrevx if you haven't already this account and if you have some sort of paranoia (at wilders quite common disease :D ) regarding this privacy subject. ;)

BTW I don't know if it is possible at all to 'delete' MyPrevx once it is created for you and getting back to this 'anonymity'? - Here another clarification would be very nice and also if you would consider implementing such feature if not already done. :)

Yes, this is what I would do if I hadn't already this MyPrevx account! :)

Which btw. a while ago didn't help at all managing my license problem because your security thought - as in this case in this thread - I would be one of the bad guys ripping of Prevx and disallowed it :D

So my advice to whom it may concern:

Maybe don't register at MyPrevx just because you think (or hope) to get rid of this problem there (faster) by doing it yourself. - Better be 'lazy' :) and use the link PrevxWebDesigner provided. :cool:

7. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

This is true... although, we really have no need to go through your data (and frankly, we have enough on our hands with just working to protect against new threats :)) But yes, data is stored anonymously until you tell it not to be, by signing up for MyPrevx where your data will be associated with your license key.

:D We never mind resetting license keys. We are also moving forward quickly with a new system that will identify PCs more accurately to prevent the warnings in the first place, so, license resets may soon become a thing of the past :)

We currently do not have this functionality but I've forwarded the message onto our MyPrevx development team for consideration :)

Thanks for the suggestions!

And a note to all: I know our licensing can be tedious at times but if you have any problems which you'd like myself or one of the other Prevx employees to solve, just let us know :) It's never a problem and we like the feedback to know where the problematic points are and how we should correct them.

8. lost24

lost24 Registered Member

I had the same issue, but fortunately, Joe settled it for me ;)

9. guest

guest Guest

This time :D I maybe finally figured out how to do that license thing right if you already have MyPrevx account:

Uninstalled Prevx from old WinXP system (hdd) and after that ... the important (?) step .. disabled license for that system in 'MyPrevx' without any problem.

First having done that then installed WinXP from scratch on new system (ssd) and also Prevx again. -> At least no new license hassle for me this way. :cool:

10. PrevxHelp

Yes :) This should solve the licensing issues in virtually all cases. We do still have some measures in place which block excessive license transferring but if you run into that, just let one of us know and we'll be glad to sort it for you :)

11. PCThor

PCThor Registered Member

Tedious is an understatement! I just went through this process due to a multi install of Windows 7 to finally get the install the way I wanted it. Granted I don't change systems that often but when it happens the pain of a reinstall is bad enough without having to jump through hoops for a license key that is legitimate. PREVX can't move quick enough with a new system that identifies PC's more accurately! Based upon this experience I will be hesitant to renew my license key and buy additional licenses for other machines. I may have to take a look at the new FREE Microsoft Security Essentials although I doubt anything will run much faster than PREVX! In PREVX's defense my new laptop with Windows 7 64 bit was a disaster for using my work's McAfee enterprise edition. McAfee has some serious issues and PREVX had zero issues with my desktop Windows 7 64-bit!

Come on PREVX get this license issue resolved you have a winning product but will lose customers based upon my recent experience.

12. PrevxHelp

We are adamantly working on the new licensing system but it requires wide-scale testing first to ensure we don't end up causing more problems than we solve. Windows 7's release will indeed put some extra pressure on it, but if you (or anyone) has any license problems, feel free to send me a PM and I'll get it correct ASAP :)

13. PCThor

PCThor Registered Member

I would be glad to beta test for you :D

PS: Like I said previously though, the current PREVX so far has had zero issues with Windows 7 64-bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.