Will Google Chrome have 10% market share by end of 2010?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Sep 17, 2009.

?

Will Chrome have a 10% market share by the end of 2010?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. No

93 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Google announced it is seeking a 10% market share by the end of 2010. Do you think they will make their goal? Currently Chrome carries a 3% market share and hope for a 5% share by one year from now.

Chrome Story

2. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Nope.
    If they are counting on their Google Chrome OS, then maybe.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html

3. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I don't think so... the main thing which keeps me away from Google is their policy... Google Chrome, no thanks.

4. progress

progress Guest

... and the missing adblocker :rolleyes:

5. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

I have to agree with the last members post. These browsers need to be like Firefox with add-on features needed for daily usage. Otherwise what's the real deal in using such a browser that would drive anyone crazy with in your face ads, java ads, flash ads an etc.

6. renegade08

Creer,

I think that you are too paranoid. :ninja:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/03/google_eavesdropping_software/

7. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i feel the same

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think so too, but everyone's entitled to their paranoia.... :)

Truth is, your ISP knows everything you do anyway, so there really isn't anything anyone else can discover that isn't already known.

9. Creer

Creer Registered Member

10. progress

progress Guest

11. Creer

Creer Registered Member

You are welcome.

12. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

13. firzen771

14. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Personally, I find it amusing how Mozilla is rushing to reinvent Firefox into a clone of Chrome: tab handling, status bar behavior, new tab page, default theme, multi-process model, etc. Reading the roadmap for Firefox 4.0 almost makes it look like Mozilla is trying to out-Chrome Chrome. Mozilla is running scared, all right.

But as for 10% market share... I'm hopeful, but still skeptical at this point.

15. progress

progress Guest

I hope Mozilla doesn't copy the Google policy ;)

16. firzen771

if im not mistaken didnt chrome get the new tab page idea from like safari or something? and what do u mean by default theme? cuz firefox has had themes for ages. and o i wuldnt imagine chrome ever trying to do firefox's famous add-ons, now they wuldnt be trying to do that lol :rolleyes: every browser steals ideas from each other, chrome isn't the only pioneer.

17. renegade08

I know that. I was just kidding. I don't trust them too.

18. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Safari 4 beta was released February 2009, five months after Chrome first appeared.

Ever seen the Firefox 3.7/4.0 default theme mockups? Tabs on top, integrated address/search bar, menu bar replaced by two icons right of the address bar?

The fact is that Firefox hasn't been a pioneer for a very, very long time. The illusion that Firefox is innovating anything actually comes from extension authors instead. I suggest you read the design docs and/or try Minefield and see how hard the devs are trying to copy Chrome. The new tab behavior has just recently landed, and they're now debating whether to copy Chrome's status bar behavior as well, not to mention the current Electrolysis builds that even use existing IPC message-passing and setup code from Chrome.

19. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Yeah, I agree that Firefox hasn't really done anything innovative lately. The extensions system is the only thing that is really keeping Firefox up there.

When the extensions system for Chrome is fully completed, I will switch to it. I just can't take the ads, so I'm sticking to Firefox. I have AdMuncher to cover that area, but it's not working as well in Windows 7.

20. firzen771

ye ive seen the mockup, i thought u meant that it didnt have a default theme at all which is why i commeneted and yet again u ignore the BIGGEST feature i can possibly think of which is add-on support and i havent seen a browser do that yet, and firefox has had the ability for how many years while NO browser has done it yet and now chrome wants to join in cuz they can see add-ons are what keep firefox on top, with add-ons firefox can do whatever any other browser can do plus so much more. its an open-source product, u cant consider other authors making add-ons as separate, its part of the product and community.

21. Eice

Eice Registered Member

You simply adooooore Firefox to bits. That's great. But it doesn't change the fact that they're trying to be Chrome copycats, simple as that.

22. firzen771

i do admit firefox is my favourite browser due to its versatility, it can be used in so many ways beyond a typical browser which makes it unique. other companies are realizing thats basically the main reason people keep using firefox instead of something else and they want in on it as well.

im willing to bet through add-ons, firefox has had all those features of every other browser long ago. or at least most of the features.

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've used Chrome from the very beginning and I like its simplicity. A lot of people don't like Google because of Gmail, personally I think there is no real privacy on the internet. Why Chrome? Simplicity, security and speed, and it is fast on every machine that I have no matter what hardware.

If they launch their OS early in 2010, I believe they'll probably have even more than 10% share by the end of the year.

24. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Nah, can't see it.

25. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

I don't see why 1% of people would want to use it, let alone 10%.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.