Microsoft Security Essentials

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kees1958, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

I have a question to the AV-insiders.

MSE - Morro should contain

a) Live kernel behavioral Monitoring (acquisition of Komoku should kick start this)
    b) What agents of Windows Defender operate under the hood of MSE, any more
    c) Pre-execution emulation and heuristics (Vinny Gullotto old McFee veteran will guide them)

Any info on when or in which release they will have implented this, or what maturity the upcoming final will have.

Regards Kees

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Microsoft is currently very quiet about MSE development, you probably won't hear anything until the next beta phase.

3. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

I don't have any information about MSE,but I like your image.

When I used Morro,I only have a idea:MSE is so slow.Under the same enviroment,MSE has a full scan,it costs several hours.But another AV,just half an hour.If MSE improved on this hand,I'm glad to see that.

4. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

I have the exact opposite experience. In my case, installation of MSE actually speeded things up, compared to previous solution. This includes the full scan.

And to be frank, I don't think scan speed of full scan is proper way to compare apps. After all, why would someone need to run full scan nowadays? On-access protection is capable of picking up malware before it executes.

I can't remember when I last did full scan on any of my systems (testing scenarios excluded).

5. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

I would like to know when the next beta will be and what it has instore because im using MSE right now its pretty good so far. but i cant wait to see the changes they have made to improve it .

this might be close to be one of the best. we will have to wait and see.

6. Kees1958

Yes, MSE, but does any of you know something of the mentioned features? The best AV's are working on pre-execution code emulation and kernel heuristics, so that would be good features of a freebie. Also its x64 performance seems to be great.

7. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

yes i am running it with windows 7 x64 and it is doing great here.

you will here poeple put it down because its well microsoft product. i dont care.

8. Kees1958

Yes but non of you have any info on
    - what IDS agents it has beneath the hood
    - how kernel monitoring is implemented
    - pre-execution code emulation/unpacking is implemented

Regards

9. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

Ok,maybe full scan isn't a good way.But how can we test AV's speed?

And sometimes we will meet some viruses which my present AV's real-time protection can't detect.At that time,we need another AV to check our computer with full scan.I choose MSE to finish this job.But the process lets me down,it is so slow.I look forward to its improvement.

10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

since MSE is developed by microsoft and since Windows is their own OS. if MSE has an x64 version wuld it be able to get passed the limitations that some vendors say they have? since it is their own OS they shuld know all the ins and outs right?

11. Kees1958

Well they would also be limited by the patch guard problably, just wondering whether they have an advantage with he kernel monitoring.

On x64 MSE uses a lot of total CPU time (with no spikes), but disk I/O is lower than on XP machine (?) and it feels faster than any other freeware AV we have tried (and bitdefender trial, because people said it worked so fast on x64 and A2 paid lisence - now stopped).

Nobody seems to know info relating to my questions o_O

12. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ye im just curious what advantages microsoft wuld have over the competition considering its their own OS.

13. simisg

simisg Registered Member

at the time mse has one of the lowest impact on the system and the lowest false positives with great detection prevention and healing well done micosoft!!

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

knowing Microsoft, they will not say, but who cares. For free it is better then anything I ever paid for.:doubt:

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Unfortunately I can't say the same for it. The first time I ran it, it ran great, scans were fast, memory usage low, boot-up/file access pretty fast. Whatever they did to it since then, good god almighty, reverse whatever change you made Microsoft, please. I put this thing back on and literally waited a full minute+ for the thing to boot and the desktop to fully load. Memory usage shot up, and opening folders/viewing files is an exercise in patience. I'm frankly getting tired of the new attitude software developers are seemingly starting to have, the attitude of "Well, people have loads of memory now and dual/quad processors so we can just load up our programs with bloat"...err, oops, this was an MSE thread, sorry.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

18. simisg

simisg Registered Member

i have xp sp3 with pentium m 1.73 and only in the startup mse leaks cpu and is heavy then with mse my pc is faster than any oher antivirus i have try

19. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I have the same setup with the same result on one pc. I also have it running a on Vista Home (sp2), dual core 3G machine and I don't notice any slowdown at startup. Overall, I think this is a very good piece of security. The only problem I have with it, is it's updating schedule. I mostly have to manually update to get the latest and greatest definitions. I know it doesn't rely solely on the signatures but I wish it updated more frequently.

Ice

20. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

if MSE detection something and the user doesnt do anything it takes over and removes the threats.

21. xpsunny

xpsunny Registered Member

Yes, it suspends the threats. Moreover, you can also assign default actions to be performed automatically upon detection of threats.

22. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Under "excluded processes" in included prevx, SuperAntiSpyware and MBAM (even though on demand only for now) and my backup program (Karen's Replicator).

Should I include Ad Muncher or my firewall (PC Tools 6) or would there be some security reason not to exclude those?

Also, anything else I should exclude?

23. Fuzzydice45

Fuzzydice45 Registered Member

You might want to exclude any games for performance reasons, I usually do that with whatever AV i'm using at the time.
    Oh and any defraggers that you use. ;)

Stupid question, but does MSE have http scanning?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  24. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yes it does.

25. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

This is probably because Microsoft are keeping quiet on developments and will only release details when appropriate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.