Symantec Auto-Renewal

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Atomic_Ed, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

I just wanted to warn everyone if they were not aware but if you purchased a Symantec product online from the Symantec store then your product will by default Auto-Renew on you unless you log into your Norton account and uncheck the auto-renewal box.

If you do not do this then they will charge your card again for a new license right before your existing one expires. Personally I find this a very shady practice and wanted others to know to do it before they get unknowingly charged for a new license. Especially if they have since went to another product.

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I'm pretty sure that this is a known issue and has been posted before.

3. Atomic_Ed

Sorry if I missed it here, just thought it was something important people would like to know.

I apologize if I re-posted the same subject.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

thanks. it is always good to be reminded of anything auto renewing :)

5. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Sounds pretty strange to me. I've been bying products from them, several times, over the years and these products have never been auto renewed, nor have i unchecked anything in my account. Maybe it's a new strategy from Symantec, after they bought PC Tools? They have been using auto renewal for years....not really my cup of tea :(

Cheers

6. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

They are not the only one. Bitdefender did the same to me last year, even after I unchecked that option in my account. I wasn't happy at all but they did reimburse fast and apologized.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I don't think it's acceptable to auto-renew a subscription without full disclosure in advance. Perhaps LiveUpdate should include this information when it begins warning that the subscription is going to expire? It's easy to avoid this by buying the software from other sources. I've always gotten it cheaper this way as well. For those who have already purchased from the online store billing information can be edited in the MyNorton Account to remove credit card numbers.

9. Atomic_Ed

Have you checked your Norton account lately? I just was in mine and had to uncheck the box for auto-renewal and when I tried to remove my cc info there was no option to do anything but change the card type and info. I could not find any way to delete the existing card as all fields are marked as required.

I urge everyone who has a norton account to log into it and check theirs to make sure at least the auto-renew is unchecked.

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I guess I spoke too soon about being able to erase the credit card information - sorry about that. If your card supports temporary numbers you could input one and then allow it to expire.

11. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I personally feel very secure knowing that any details of my credit card will always be as far as possible from that software vendor :thumbd:

12. fasteddy2020

fasteddy2020 Registered Member

Thanks to Atomic Ed for this reminder. :thumb: I went through all of my software and found there was three auto-renewals I did not know I had signed up for and they were on a credit card that I can't/don't use anymore. Thank god I found them now, the renewals were due next month.

13. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well looks like u wer just intime then :)

14. stratoc

stratoc Guest

taken from the other thread:

15. fasteddy2020

Some of the cancellation of the auto renewals were buried and not easily found. However, they did send me confirmation of cancellation emails, so I have some recourse. This seems pretty shady. I understand generating revenue, but if you make a good product people will come back and buy it again. These were the products I have that did not have auto renewals.

16. Atomic_Ed

Your welcome my friend. Glad the info saved you from their shady practices. Funny thing is I have to wonder how many shady things Scamantec can do and they think people won't talk about their negative experiences? Guess short term cash before word of mouth spreads is their game now.

17. fasteddy2020

Funny thing was this thread was about Symantec but my auto renewals were from other companies. Shadiness all over the place, not just Symantec.

18. Atomic_Ed

Well in any event from whatever shady company, I'm just glad you caught it before they bit you with it.

19. Securon

Securon Registered Member

HATS OFF TO ATOMIC ED! I just checked an old subscription with PC Tools for Spyware Doctor 6 & Antivirus, of which I had removed from my system a good six months ago. I went to the uncheck auto-renewal and establish manual renewal, they stated I will receive an e-mail to verify my wishes,and hopefully this will eliminate the situation. Once again Hats OFF TO ATOMIC ED! Sincerely...Securon

20. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

woohoo! my god thats some bad stuff.i mean i was just waiting for norton 2010 series to launch to buy it over the net.....

but it seems i will buy it from a retailer as i have always done in the past.I hope they get severly reprimanded for this as this amounts to mis-use of customers details and stuff..

thanks for d info........

21. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

Don't see that option in my Norton accounto_O

22. fasteddy2020

You will only have/see that option if you bought the product from the Symantec Store. Retail versions are not affected.

That was one of mine. What a bugger to find where to manual renew (I was a bit worked up at the time). They did send me an email right away about the change request. On your account page under I believe the history section it should say the date of request followed by "CAR..." which I took as Cancel Auto Renew. Uniblue products are the same way. What a waste of $. I guess I have spent more on dumber things. This whole thing has really opened my eyes. Thank god for Wilders!

23. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

When I renewed my Norton Internet Security subscription several months ago through the Symantec website, the auto-renewal option was clearly marked and explained; and it was trivial (i.e., one click) to disable, in my experience. While I agree that auto-renewal should be an “opt-in” and not an “opt-out” process, consumers do in fairness have a responsibility to take a moment and to read the description of what they purchasing.

24. fasteddy2020

I agree. No one is going to protect the consumer except the consumer. There is no doubt that not readily reading the agreement is my fault. In the end, I am mad at myself for the things I did/did not do at the time of purchase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.