Does anybody disagree with this conclusion?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by QuasiMojo, Mar 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuasiMojo

QuasiMojo Registered Member

I mentioned in one of my posts below that I had run some checks between pairs of spyware packages to see if there were conflicts.

One thing I found was that Spybot's results were a perfect subset of Ad-aware's results. I concluded that I could therefore jettison Spybot and use only Ad-aware, as far as that pair of packages goes, since anything that came up on Spybot would also be caught by Ad-aware.

Anybody here disagree?

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

I disagree with that statement.

Through my experience, often times either AdAware or SpyBot will find entries that the other one misses.
    Plus it can many times be good to have a "second opinion scan" from the other to confirm the possibilities of false positives. I do not "blindly" fix all problems. Any new signature update could contain a false positive.
    And SpyBot does more things than AdAware, like the Immunize feature, can clean many usage common usage tracks, etc....

IMHO, I believe they work very well in complement with each other and would never get rid of either one on my machine....

HTH....

Regards,
    Kent

3. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

I will have to agree with Kent,

Often enough Spybot will see something that Ad-Aware won't and vis versa... from personal experience I rely on both of them.

4. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi,

I disagree and fully agree with Puff.
    I also dont throw away one of my AV scanners because it never finds a virus.

Gerard

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

puff said exactly what I think so I won't repeat it :D

6. Antti

Antti Registered Member

Yepp, why not keep the both.

I must say, however, I'm really impressed by the frequency Lavasoft produces new reference file updates for Ad-aware. A new update almost every day!!

7. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Far too many times have I seen one find things the other missed. I recommend keeping - and using - both.

8. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Does AA even do "Usage tracks" cleaning?

Because I definitely utilize SBS&D features for that. Pete

9. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I disagree completely, and frankly, I would be inclined to toss ad-aware if i were to toss one of them, however both are good.

Alot of the results you will see depend on the other programs you are using as well as the type of web sites you visit and the software you download, but for instance:

i) If you install spybots and use the immunity feature and it creates a hosts file that prevent you from getting spyware installed, then it is not fair to blame spybots for not removing spyware that it prevented. And who is to say if it had not prevented it that ad-aware would have neutralized it. (It is true that you could with a little effort keep the host file and uninstall spybots but this is just one point).

ii) It seems to me the two coexist very peacefully, and having them both has very little drawbacks.

iii) spybots has a interface that takes a little getting used to. I have heard of people that installed it and never figured out how to set up the "advaced" interface. i may be wrong, but i think the default is the simple interface which does not give you access to everything. If your shortcut takes you to the (overly) simple interface you can probably reach the advanced by: start > all programs > spybots... > advanced...

iiii) don't judge spybots too harshly because their updates come out only roughly once a month and ad-aware comes out every couple of days. Ad-aware seems to place far more effort on keeping its tracking cookies definition current, and this is fine, however the damaging spyware IMHO is the stuff that installs controls and attempts to change your startups and make registry changes. Despite the fewer updates Spybots seems to find more of this type of spyware.

To sum it up....keep both!

-Handsoff

10. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Hear, hear! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.