Eset and Commercial Keyloggers

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by caspian, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspian

caspian Registered Member

It has come to my attention that several antivirus/antispyware products intentionally ignore commercial keyloggers, allowing them to install and log a person's private information. What I would like to know is, does Eset Nod 32 allow any or all commercial keyloggers to install and log keystrokes on their customer's computers?

2. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello caspian,

These would fall under the definition of "Potentially unsafe applications". While it's legal for your boss to install them on his machines at your place of work, they could also be used for nefarious purposes by hackers and others.

If that parameter was enabled they would be flagged. If not, they wouldn't

BFG

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

As far as I know, spying employees without their knowledge is against laws, but maybes some countries allow it.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Most are not allowed to run intentionally but because the vendor hasn't added a detection or doesn't want to add detection . Employees and employers were mentioned - in such cases (with companies) the bosses can decide what they want but don't forget that admins could configure any antivirus/antimalware so that it intentionally ignores detection of some files (programs , etc)

5. caspian

But by default, will Eset block a commercial keylogger? I looked up Spector Pro and Eblaster yesterday. If someone came into my home and installed spector Pro, or if someone did a remote install of Eblaster, would Esest Nod32 detect and block these Keyloggers by default?

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If by "default" you mean default installation settings, the short answer is Yes, with the understanding as BFG mentioned above that keyloggers "would fall under the definition of "Potentially unsafe applications"."

How do I configure my ESET security product to detect unwanted or unsafe applications?
    bold highlite mine.

7. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi,

Just only an example from some days ago with NOD32 (version 2) on my XP-home SP3 about Ardamax keylogger:

Scan performed at: 27-6-2009 3:44:40
    Date: 27.6.2009 Time: 03:45:00
    Anti-Stealth technology is enabled.
    Scanned disks, folders and files: C:\Program Files\CLE\
    C:\Program Files\CLE\AKV.exe - a variant of Win32/KeyLogger.Ardamax application
    C:\Program Files\CLE\CLE.004 - a variant of Win32/KeyLogger.Ardamax.NAR application
    C:\Program Files\CLE\CLE.006 - Win32/KeyLogger.Ardamax.NAL application
    C:\Program Files\CLE\CLE.007 - Win32/KeyLogger.Ardamax application
    C:\Program Files\CLE\CLE.exe - probably a variant of Win32/KeyLogger.Ardamax application

;)

Edited to add:
    Maybe CLE.003 could also be added to the NOD32 definitions (I hope it will be added).

8. caspian

9. caspian

Was this a test you did by adding a keylogger? Or was this actually put on your computer without your knowledge?

10. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi caspian,

I installed it myself, knowing what I was doing by that, for test purpose with respect to another security program (NOD32 being disabled during that test).

PS: please take note about the setting of NOD32/EAV as already posted above by others.

11. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

not in the USA it's not. My computers, my network, my information - no matter who sits at the desk.

12. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Nobody would dispute your ownership but are you sure you don't have to inform your employees of any restrictions you have in place?

13. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I am positive there is no constitutional right being broken - local laws will apply - I know in my state there is no such law - there is no right to privacy in the constitution and it would only be specific states that opted to make notification a necessity.

I think California has laws on the subject.

There may be a need to say in a company policy that you have no privacy - our company policy states that our computers, our network - we have a right to view the traffic.

Here is an interesting read on the subject:

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs7-work.htm#3a

14. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

that i find reasonable and transparent, irrespective of any privacy laws

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.