Sandbox programmes?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Retadpuss, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

How many sandbox programmes are there? Im mainly interested in those that can be used to isolate IE, Outlook and Live Mail. Im running Win 7 and sandboxie wont work properly with IE set as a forced programme - want alternatives.

2. fax

fax Registered Member

Have you tried ZA ForceField? Not sure it runs on Windows 7 but you could try. It will only isolate IE or Firefox.
    p.s. Dont shoot on the messenger :D

3. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

Here, you are some alternatives:

· BufferZone Pro
    · DefenseWall
    · GeSWall Professional Edition
    · Virtual Sandbox™

I've on my computer Defense Wall. Good program !

4. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

I tried GESWall ages ago when I was on XP and thought it was okay, but only ever got a BSOD on vista - Im trying 7100RC at moment and like it - other than several apps dont work with it - a quick search with Google shows GESWall wont work with it.

I will plod on and try out the others suggested.

Cheers,

Puss

5. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

6. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Retad, DefenseWall should work with no problems.

To clear the 'sandbox', you have to go to 'File and registry tracks', and then select all the files and then delete.

Any file you've downloaded and want to keep, you have to highlight the file (in file and registry tracks) and select 'allow'.

If you want to update your browser, such as java in IE, you just right-click on the IE icon and select 'run as trusted'.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

there is:
    AppGuard
    AppRanger
    PcArmor(sort of behabiour blocker with rollback funtion like defensewall)
    DefenSewall

8. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

But before doing this, you have to clearly understand what the files are you are going to delete!

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

There's something i never saw. Seems very good. Did anyone test it?

10. Saraceno

Completely agree.

But to me (and I'd assume other Wilders members - but wouldn't suggest this to average users), I find it easy to interpret which files to delete and recover (allow). The files are listed by process and time.

dw.jpg

And even if a user highlights all files and selects 'delete', a second page then asks a user 'are you sure you want to delete the following files'.

dw2.jpg

dw3.jpg

So for general interest, I find using DefenseWall easy to recover a file, and if I make a mistake in wanting to delete all files, DefenseWall gives you a second chance to cancel your delete request. :thumb:

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

DefenseWall is a sandbox? I know that it is an excellent program, one of the best, but is it a "true" sandbox?

Acadia

12. Saraceno

Ilya will have to answer this.

I know while browsing, all my bookmarks are kept (which is good), but if I unpack hundreds of malware samples, and then go through the steps above, all are removed, no matter where they install too, or are transferred to.

Same as if I launch a msn type program, or P2P, which stores all sorts of temporary files, all the info is removed. See files and registry tracks below.

dw4.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It is more what you call a policy Sandbox. Stuff is controlled by computer policy, as opposed to isolating them in a different location.

While I prefer Sandboxie, I do have a DefenseWall License, and I've tested it against malware. It works as advertised.

Pete

14. Saraceno

I think the best part with DefenseWall, is that any files downloaded appear on the desktop, or say in program files, or wherever you download the file, straight-away.

You can use these files for an hour, several days, a couple of weeks. Your partner/family can use these files as they are downloaded. And when it comes time for you to decide to remove these files, you just delete 'file and registry tracks', and all are removed.

Sandboxie is equally a powerful program, a PDF for example, can be launched when downloaded, and it will be sandboxed. It can be recovered (which 'could' pose a slight risk to an average user). But those more experienced, can 'right-click' on the file and run it sandboxed. Or with paid version, downloaded files to a specific area, can always run sandboxed, or further, the PDF program can always be run sandboxed.

But for simplicity sake, the ability to download files and see and use these files right-away, with all protected from causing system damage, makes DW one easy to use program.

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmmm, DefenseWall sounds nice, I already knew some of this, but have learned even more in this thread and now DW sounds even nicer. Does SB and DW both together on the same system equal overkill, or does it mean ... I can finally get rid of these &*#$%^ scanners?

Acadia

16. Saraceno

Both work on the same system.

I know Ilya doesn't like to promote the 'file and registry tracks', as most novice users will remove files they might have wanted to keep, and probably complain about it.

But many on this forum use sandboxie for the sole purpose of clearing data out each day, or even hourly.

So these users would benefit from knowing that DefenseWall can perform a similar function (but it keeps bookmarks, browsing history - which can be cleared from the web browser itself). Remember if you want to clear temporary data and don't want to lose any important files, make sure select the file you want to keep and select 'Allow'. See below.

DW allow.jpg

17. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Another little thing I like about Defensewall, is the ability to "lock" a file, folder, or drive so nothing that is "Untrusted" can touch it. You can do this with Sandboxie too but it works only while you have something running Sandboxed. With Defensewall it is a full time thing.

18. Saraceno

Without going too far off-topic, Acadia, I think a user could benefit from just DefenseWall and an on-demand scan from say CureIt once a week.

A good security feature of the program, is that any files from removable drives are automatically set to 'untrusted'. Which means, can't cause problems if transferred from a USB.

But if you do trust the files (and know they are safe) and want these to have full-access (for editing etc), you can highlight these files, and remove these from the untrusted list. See a Word document below that I transferred from a USB to my desktop. Now suddenly shows up automatically in the untrusted list. To remove this file from being untrusted, I highlight the file and select 'remove'.

dw removable.jpg

Alternatively, instead of the option above, I can highlight the file, right-click and 'change status to trusted', and the file will be removed from the untrusted application list.

right click.jpg

DW removable 2.jpg

Pretty easy program to use. :)

19. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I am running with Defensewall and Sandboxie together without problems for a month now.

Only one slight noticeable annoyance; the deletion of sandbox contents hangs about 2 secs longer. But even that is not a problem ... I have tried crashing Sandboxie by opening/closing other instances of browsers and other applications while auto deletion is taking place ... No problems. You may sometimes get a pop up saying there is nothing to delete from the sandbox. But thats it.

I have now done away with my AV scanner (in real time). It does take a little while to get confidence with DW, though, as it is so damn quiet. Its just a case of remembering to run new safe applications as trusted on install so they're permanently installed. I have forgotten to run a few new applications as trusted and of course they haven't loaded, but that is the most user interaction I've had with Defensewall.

Def thumbs up :thumb:

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i can not stay quiet ''Defensewall'' is a winner here i can testify that when no one is there to save you againts nasty malware DefenseWall can save your bacon:):) good job ilya

21. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

First of all, what is a sandbox? It's an isolated space with some rights dropped. Isolation can be made with partial virtualization and/or policy-based restrictions. The approaches are different, the effect is the same (or almost the same).

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

No Vista 64 bit in the near future?

23. Saraceno

Thought I'd post a few more screenshots.

DefenseWall automatically searches your programs and adds common ones to the untrusted list.

But to add programs manually, you can do this through the main interface, or through right-click.

Adding through the main interface. In this instance, I'll add Hitman Pro to the untrusted application list.

DW adding programs.jpg

DW adding programs 2.jpg

You might find easier (and quicker) way is to just right-click on files or shortcuts, and select 'change status to untrusted'.

DW adding programs 3.jpg

Both achieve the same result.

DW adding programs 4.jpg

And the program can run now as untrusted.

DW adding programs 5.jpg

24. Saraceno

Using the above example, Hitman Pro runs perfectly as an 'untrusted application'.

DefenseWall will however, alert me the program is trying to get access to a secured file. I have the option of ignoring the alert and the program will continue to run, or selecting to terminate the application.

DefenseWall alerts/warnings

DefenseWall alert - this time I will choose to ignore, and the program will run as it normally would.

DW hips.jpg

Programs runs normally.

DW hips 1.jpg

And then running the program again and choosing to terminate the program - program is closed.

DW hips 2.jpg

Shutting down programs

You can also shutdown programs through the main interface.

Either through the 'stop attack' which closes all processes, or by selecting an individual process.

DW close programs.jpg

Just like sandboxie, through selecting a specific application.

DW close individual.jpg

25. Saraceno

And some screenshots of the event log.

DW event log.jpg

After running Hitman Pro (as untrusted)

DW event log 2.jpg

And exporting the event log as a text file.

DW event log 3.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.