TotalProtect

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by StevieO, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Anybody heard of this ?

The website appears to contain lots of unfinished projects, and they have been trying to link up with ReactOS with, err mixed results.

Protects against everything, including Rootkits ?

Just for the hell of it, i enabled Returnil and installed their Browser, or tried to, it failed. I then installed TP.

It wouldn't allow me to install SP1 the App update, or newer definitions. When i scanned it even found a Virus in itself o_O

Screenys will follow.

" Element TotalProtect- The safeguard for your PC.

Essential Protection-

* Protects your computer against all types of malware, viruses and spyware
    * Scans files, email messages and your internet traffic
    * Sophisticated, non intrusive two way firewall keeping hackers out
    * Updates daily with new product updates and protection definitions.
    * Element SmartDefense technologies "

http://www.elementsoftware.co.uk/totalprotect/

2. StevieO

Screenys1

Attached Files:

3. StevieO

Screenys2

Attached Files:

4. StevieO

Screenys3

Attached Files:

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

On the support page of the website, I found this message:

Cloud Antivirus = Panda rebrand? o_O

It is interesting to note that the date for discontinuation of the product has passed, and still the website advertises it. So the site is not that updated apparently.

http://www.elementsoftware.co.uk/support/totalprotect/

6. StevieO

Firecat

Good catch, i didn't see that ! Can't imagine it would be Panda, but ?

7. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Hey, that GUI looks awesome. :D I hope someone can get any information on its effectivity. ;) I'll probably try to find some myself later on. :)

8. jakestephenjackson

jakestephenjackson Registered Member

Hi there, its Jake from Element Software.

Just want to let you know of an update to the product, which is now the new 2009 edition. It includes many new features and enchancements, and you can now use Element TotalProtect with reduced functionailty but for an unlimited amount of time. However we are offering free licenses to College and University students if you qualify for the free license, visit www.elementsoftware.co.uk/totalprotect/purchase.

Or you could buy a license for $6.99 USD, which lasts for two years including updates.

Cloud was the codename of Element TotalProtect 2009, it is not completely free but is no longer timebombed, you can use it for as long as you wish. We were unaware of the existence of another AV called Cloud until recently.

Make sure you give Element TotalProtect 2009 a try, and let us know what you think of it. Service packs are already planned, so if there is ever a major issue it will be addressed within the month / year.

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

is total protect an antivirus with firewall?thanks and welcome to wilders

10. jakestephenjackson

Yes, it includes a built in two way firewall sytstem which automatically manages itself without any user intervention required. Element TotalProtect contains anti-spyware, anti-virus, anti-rootkit, Windows optimization and an automatic troubleshooter.

If you wish to be a bug tester / help improve our product / if you are at college , uni etc ill gladly send you a free key so you can unlock all features. Contact me via my email at patternjake@hotmail.com and well discuss this further.

Thanks

11. raven211

Hi, jake - good to see you here. :) Some questions went through my mind, so I thought I would get them down here:

1. Have any tests been done, e.g. proactive virus detection, AV-Comparatives, AV-Test.org and such on your software to get an idea how it measures?

2. HOW is the FW able to determine what should and should not be allowed to go through? I know how Norton (from Symantec) does it, watching what's going on, both if found as malware in its signatures, behavior, and probably even cloud-statistics now in 2010-edition - then blocking straight-stop if something bad is being done, but could you elaborate how yours does it, and how you avoid FPs on that front without sacrificing security?

3. Can the FW be opted out incase someone, like me, don't want filtering from such a component as it's possible it'll slow my surfing-speed?

4. Does the AM-functionality work automatic with fading pop-ups and such on the malware it finds as convenience for the user (I'm an advanced user, but I like the same operation as the regular user does; don't ask me questions or get in my face unless completely necessary).

5. Can I use it alongside other AVs/AMs?

6. I'm a student here in Sweden. Am I able to get a license for free here as well, or is it only for the UK?

Don't worry - more questions came as I wrote. :D

12. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

A question from me too. :) I can't understand if Element TotalProtect has HIPS features.

13. jakestephenjackson

Currently, it does not feature protection againt zero day attacks.

14. jakestephenjackson

1. No offical tests have been completed yet except in house malware scanning, which tests show very positive results. We are looking at the same results that the late OneCare provided, 50-60% of malware is found by Element TotalProtect.

2. Firewall rules are downloaded from a secure server, if there is a unknown program (such as an online game not registered yet) that is trying to make a connection to the internet it will allow it but will refuse access to the most high risk ports on your computer. The program will be blocked automatically if anything suspicious is found / same workings for ports and other IPS.

3. Afraid not, the firewall is an intergral part of the malware protection engine in Element TotalProtect. To turn off the firewall, you must turn off Element TotalProtect. HOWEVER, Blacklisting against viruses and malware is ALWAYS left on until the day you may uninstall Element TotalProtect.

4.Results are shown in the tray area in a form of simple standard Windows balloons and a notification in the protection center. No obtrusive dialogs are ever shown. Element TotalProtect has been designed to be as simple and easy for a user to control.

5. Yes. Element TotalProtect has been tested alongside Norton 2009, McAfee, AVG, Kaspersky and the latest offering from Microsoft, Microsoft Security Essentials beta. It works flawlessly.

6. Licenses are free for the entire planet. As long as you are elligible, you get your license. (Student only).

Hope that helps answer some of your questions.

15. jakestephenjackson

Oh and if anyone wants to know about compatibility between ETP09 and the new Windows 7 (RC stage, anyway), Element TotalProtect 2009 works out of the box. HOWEVER. It does not intergrate itself into Windows Action Centre due to the many architectual changes Microsoft made while ETP was bieng developed.

16. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

(TotalProtect)Why so low cost?

You have a varied product list as a young company what will Element Software aspire to in the future and will you stay independent?

Who are the people behind Element software and what are their background (experience, training, and education.) Maybe you could expand the 'About Us' at elementsoftware to answer this.

17. raven211

Great answers, thank you. :)

I've just graduated from a gymnasium in Sweden and will soon be a student at Gothenburg's University - am I elligible to receive a license? Thanks for any answer. ;)

Also, an additional question so I know for the cases where the user is not elligible for a license or won't be getting one; what functionality is not available for the user without a license; running as a free version?

EDIT: Oh, I forgot one thing - is the FW-part light in its filtering, or does it affect my surfing and gaming noticeably?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks alot

19. raven211

Please look over the components of your software as MSE is incorrectly, I obviously guess, detecting, what I guess would be the optimization features of TotalProtect as I've tested Core Optimizer previously and it would detect components then as well. Odd enough, it would not ask me to send more information about my files when deciding to allow it.

Maybe you should contact them (directly) - they've a official forum for the MSE-beta, and I'm sure they've a contact e-mail as well.

20. raven211

When starting the software after installation, I'm getting a Host Service-problem. See the attached screenshot. Might this be because of MSE's detection, even if I did allow it? I got the same problem when testing Core Optimizer.

Attached Files:

21. Meriadoc

The message is displayed when a user or something attempts to run a WSH script.

Have you disabled WSH yourself at sometime?

22. raven211

Getting lots of the same Script Host problems when testing to run PC Tuneup, so I don't think MSE is the culprit, even if the detection should be fixed.

There needs to be a reverse changes of the PC Tuneup in the Tuneup-section once optimization has been done, and not just directly after the optimization has been - who knows how it's affected their performance right after it's done!? :D

1. Is the error related to some service on my system, or why is this happening? I was about to contact customer support (technical support) when I recalled that it's only available to licensed users - please check your e-mail, Jake, as I've sent you one regarding this. Thanks. :)

2. So, basically PC Tuneup removes obsolete registry entries and (temp) files? I really hope this software is not trying to be agressive with the registry like some others do to find "errors" in the system for the user to make them buy a product.

3. What defragmenter is a part of TotalProtect? How does it compare to top-contenders like JKDefrag/MyDefrag, SmartDefrag and PerfectDisk to name a few, or is it using the built-in in Windows invisibly?

4. Will you add detection of the EICAR-test-file in the future so that I can test if TotalProtect is really working automatically, atleast with known threats? My personal opinion is that if known threats are found, there's nothing to ask about, and not heuristical detections if they're accurate. Suspending everything that's found and just notifying the user (to take a action) like MSE might be an option. :)

Typo discovered in help-file > How to use > "Keep Element TotalProtect upt to date".

23. raven211

Where can I find it? Is it a service? Is it Java? If it's Java, I would like TotalProtect to help the user during installation or such with downloading the latest version.

24. raven211

When I test with Hotbar, the installation will shut down after like a second, so I guess it's TotalProtect in action. That it's shut down is confirmed by looking at my Task Manager. The thing that bothers me is not that it does it automatically - this is, as you can understand from my previous posts - a good thing according to me. What bothers me is that (1) it's not removed from my system and (2) that TotalProtect won't notify me.

25. Meriadoc

Scripting such as VBScript and VBS files are a way of executing instructions without any further user input...automating instructions in other words. They can become dangerous (ILOVEYOU) as just about anything that can be done with your machine can be done with a script.

The Windows Scripting Host is a feature of the operating systems which gives access to such things as the registry, systems and can be evoked by a script.

Many people protect themselves by disabling or uninstalling WSH or through script blocking programs.

To enable WSH, click start, run open regedit.exe and find

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings\Enabled
    and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings\Enabled

In the right-pane, delete the value named "Enabled" from the above locations if present, or you can change the values 0 and 1. Exit regedit.

To disable Windows Script Host, create the above registry entry as they are not there by default. The HKEY_CURRENT_USER is to disable for a particular user. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is to disable for all users of a particular computer.

See also MS

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.