Explanation of Blackspear Settings

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by berryracer, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I have been using them for years,

but please explain in what ways exactly are they better / more secure, and do they really cause a slowdown on your system?

NOD32 FTW

2. berryracer

anyoneo_Oo_Oo_O??

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It doesn't make your system more secure in any way, infact I believe it makes it more unstable because he recommends advanced heuristics everywhere. Default settings are the best.

4. bradtech

bradtech Guest

I chose to enable potentially unwanted/unsafe apps on my clients because I did not want people downloading port scanners, and other tools.. Plus to be honest since I have ramped up a couple settings I have seen some positive results.. If nobody complains I am happy.. I'm running the settings on a Penitum 4 box with a gig of ram using windows 7 without slow downs..

Safe > Sorry

I don't know blackspears settings though

5. berryracer

So what's all the hype about the blackspear settings then and all the guides out there? :rolleyes:

6. elapsed

What hype? The 1 post a month?

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Blackspear's original help guide has had almost two million views. No hype there. It's the truth.

It has proven to be a very good guide for those that needed help setting up NOD32.

The later releases of NOD and ESS have implemented many suggestions by users of the forum and they have also improved their program based on the guides posted by Blackspear such as advanced heuristics usage in particular in the newer versions.

8. berryracer

My main concern here is that I have been recommending the blackspear settings on another forum , and someone askedm e how do they enhance things? so I didn't know what to answer?

9. pegr

pegr Registered Member

10. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Well of course. The alternative is for him to say "yes our defaults are insecure, please implement someone else's unsupported custom rules". That is not a good thing to say in your own support forums :p

You are asking a legitmate question as to how the Blackspear settings are more secure but whyare you recommending it when you dont understand it and have no basis for stating that it is more secure? Especially here at the Notebook Review forums where you state

I'm not trying to get personal or pick on you but please stop claiming things which aren't true or you simply have no basis for. It only adds to the confusion.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  11. berryracer

Whoa!! I'm shocked! and i've been using them all along? how did they become so popular then?

uninstalling them right away and editing the thread @ NBR forums! :(

12. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    His settings were for the 2.x versions, which allowed much more customization by default during the install, and seemed to overwhelm many people who wanted more automatic generic settings like other antivirus software. With versions 3 and 4 now those settings are default during the install, no need to adjust. If someone tries to follow that guide while installing version 3 or 4...they'll be lost as lost can be.

13. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Nope, his settings tutorial was updated for ver 3, and there are xml files that can be imported from the tutorial, Craig went page by page and tab by tab, if anyone get's lost in that thread, they should turn off their computer.

14. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I've seen the 3 guide...but IMO it's just an install guide..although IMO it's really quite easy to follow the bouncing ball that Eset provides in the setup, and in its own explanations. "Download", "Double click <Install>, "Type in your username/password <here>", "this is what a scan progress bar looks like" But I guess some need re-assurance.

15. piranha

piranha Registered Member

I agree. Default settings are the best, adv heuristics everywhere is a wasting of the potency of the computer.

16. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I'll take the advanced heuristics hit any time if it increases the chances of finding a threat - even at the expense of a little speed...

17. elapsed

I guess they made the right decision in adding a toggle then :D

18. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

a few tit for tat in nature posts were removed and ask that in the future We stick to the thread subject instead of making off topic observations that may or may not be kosher.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.