Problem with 4.0.437 and Vista SP2

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by MuffPotter, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MuffPotter

MuffPotter Registered Member

I installed the SP2 for Vista yesterday. After that i had some problems with my internet connection and i decided to make a "repair installation" of ESS. But i received an error message that i don´t have the righty to modify the programm folder and the registry keys of ESS. So i couldn´t neither repair nor deinstall ESS. But i´m logged in als admin. After canceling, ESS told me that the real-time file protection could not get enabled. I switched to the setup menu to enable the file protection and again an error message that i don´t have the rights to modify the settings.
    Now i switched back to SP1 and everything is fine. I can deinstall and repair and modify the settings.

So i tried to deinstall ESS before i install SP2. Then i installed ESS after installing SP2, restart, and there was the same problem.
    I really don´know what to do. I installed everything on my girlfriends laptop as well and there everything is fine.

2. madas91

madas91 Registered Member

Hello chap, I had the same problem after SP2 last night. Heres what i just did to rectify my system. I uninstalled ESET and clicked ok for the errors that come up about permissions.
    In "folder options" in control panel select show hidden files and show system files. Restart into safe-mode, usually F8 after bios screen goes.
    I then deleted ESET folder from "Program Files" and "Program Data".
    I then restarted normally and could then fresh instal Eset security without a problem.
    Obviously yours may be different problem but i kept getting "Instaler doesn't have permission to alter files in "program data" Eset.
    It worked for me but obviously its up to you if you try this.
    Make sure anything valuable is backed up ;)

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

4. MuffPotter

Good to hear that. Although i could deinstall it in the safe mode and reinstalled it the problem is still the same. I already sent an report to eset.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      97.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      32.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
  5. MuffPotter

i just ask myself why Eset didn´t recognise this problem before. The SP2 final is is released since weeks (at least for developers)!
    and the release candidate even longer…

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Who knows. I had sp2 for the last 3 weeks, on 2 machines, first with .424 then .437 and not once had any problem as the ones reported

7. madas91

madas91 Registered Member

Muff when in safe mode you need to delete the eset program files folder and the eset program data folder.
    That way when you are back out of safemode and instal eset its not modifying its creating

8. MuffPotter

Thank you for answering Madas. I tried that as well. At first i tried to deinstall it befor installing SP2 and then i installed it. Then the installation works but shortly afterwards i get the errormessages as you can see on the screenshots.
    The second time i deinstalled it in the save mode and install it after restarting the system. Again the installation worked. But then again the real time file protection could not load and i could not modify the folders to make an repair installation or to activate the file protection manually.

It seems like the real time file protection gets messed up somehow and blocs the folders. I don´t know.
    Now i switched back to SP1 and hope for an update of ESS.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

10. psyko12

psyko12 Registered Member

Not to make another post but, I've just got the SP 2 update from windows update... I've downloaded and it installed upon reaching phase 3 of 3 eamon.sys caused a blue screen... Should I remove eset from my system before applying SP 2? Thanks in advance... Hope ESET team is working on it...

EDIT: BTW I'm on an x64 machine

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  11. MuffPotter

12. MuffPotter

The german Eset-Support sent me another solution today. I should remove the hook at " activate Anti-Stealth-Technology" in the advanced setup till an update of the software will come. could someone maybe check this (someone who has problems with the software) and post a short report?

13. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

14. rif

rif Registered Member

What has the "Anti-Stealth-Technology" to do with the "real-time file-system protection"? I can't believe that works.

15. MuffPotter

Well, i can post the whole message:
    Guten Tag,
    leider mussten wir feststellen, dass es zu einer Unverträglichkeit des von Microsoft bereitgestellten Service Pack 2 für Windows Vista und Server 2008 mit unseren Produkten ESET Smart Security und ESET
    NOD32 Antivirus Version 4 kommen kann.
    Bei ESET wird derzeit an einer Lösung des Problems gearbeitet und demnächst wird mit einem Signaturupdate auch eine Aktualisierung der entsprechenden Programmkomponenten vorgenommen.
    Bis dahin empfehlen wir, damit Sie ersteinmal wieder arbeiten können, in den erweiterten Einstellungen des Programms (F5) unter
    "Viren- und Spyware-Schutz" das Häkchen bei "Anti-Stealth-Technologie aktivieren" entfernen.

According to this message it is the Anti-Stealth Technology

16. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Hi,

I had the same problem w/ESS. But it woudlen't even uninstall correctly, I had to remove all driver and registry remnants by hand. Plus, now there's an error every time I start MS Outlook 2007, about a plugin it cant find and deactivates, but I can't even delete it :( Is there anyone who knows how to do so? Eset KB says to delete extend.dat, but when I do it pops back the next time I start outlook -with the same error.

Thank you in avdance for your help.

Edit : nevermind, foudn it, wasn't in com add-ins but exchange client add-ins. I can't delete the post though.
    Also, the problem also happened after I installed SP2.

Edit2 (if this can help someone in the same situation) : the registry key to remove and not just deactivate the plugin is : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions, delete the ESET value here.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  17. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I would suggest holding off on SP2 and keeping .437 of ESS or EAV, it seems something MS slipped in the SP at the last second doesn't agree with Eset products. The Pre release message for SP2 said the users that were up to date with patches would only get a 43-48MB download, I got a 339MB download and I was current up to yesterday, so my thinking is they slipped in an undocumented "fix" or two that really mucked up Eset. Not that MS would do such a thing, uh wait, what was I thinking, MS would NEVER do something like that. :eek::eek:

18. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

both my vista machine updated to SP2 last night & no problems so far...

19. fredra

fredra Registered Member

I got 339MB d/l also, so you could :thumb: have a point.
    LOL :D

For those who care to remember, when Vista was released (way back when) NOD32 AV had some problems with its "Anti Stealth Technology" running on VISTA. When a scan was run, the AST was turned off automatically. Eventually ESET fixed it and all was well.
    This time with Vista SP2, history has repeated itself.
    Thanks to MuffPotter's #12 & #15, which triggered the past historical memory.
    If you are using either the AV or ESS, before installing Vista SP2, do the following:
    -click on the icon in the tray, to bring up the GUI.
    -hit F5
    -UNcheck the Anti Stealth Technology AND Self Protection.
    (Self Protection is new to V4 AND AST was problematic in the past)
    (You need a mandatory reboot here)
    After the reboot, go ahead d/l and install Vista SP2.
    NO BSOD or CRASH.
    I have done this on both my 32bit and 64bit Vista, and everything still works (so far).
    Whenever ESET comes out with an update/fix that is another story.
    Cheers :)

20. flyrfan111

I haven't tried that approach, interesting idea. It beats going back to version 3 though, which I never liked, at least you keep 4's better unpacking and cleaning ability although giving up the AS and SP isn't worth the fluff that comes with SP2 IMHO, I would much rather have .437 at it's full capability than having a supposed "fix" from MS, Vista was finally running just fine, which probably explains why MS had to go and muck it up. So I don't feel to unprotected by not installing SP2 just yet.

21. fredra

fredra Registered Member

We are of similiar minds about going back to V3, I never liked that idea either.
    I have REbooted four times, and run a full scan and so far (knocks his head to shake the gray matter) Vista & ESS V4 is running fine. :thumb:
    Cheers :)

22. flyrfan111

Hopefully your luck holds, I would rather keep anti stealth and self protection and SP1, nothing I have seen in SP2 makes me think it is dire to install it right away.

23. callman

callman Registered Member

24. psyko12

psyko12 Registered Member

So by turning off those 2 features, would that let me install sp 2 without the EAMON.sys bsod?

25. fredra

fredra Registered Member

HI
    It would appear that ESET has updated their instructions to included my workaround. Good for them ... now if only the users would follow the instructions, because it works. They WILL issue an update shortly to fix this.
    see their instructions here

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2254

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.