Personal firewall is not working properly...

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Byvar, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Byvar

Byvar Registered Member

Hello everyone!

First of all, I love ESET for making such a great security program. :)
    I hadn't encountered any problem ( with both v3 and v4 ) until a few days ago, when suddenly, the firewall didn't work anymore.
    Here are some pictures with the error messages.

ESET.png

Here's some information.

OS info:
    - version of the OS and its edition: Windows Vista Home Premium ( SP1 at the moment )
    - software platform: 64bit
    - amount of RAM installed: 4GB

Product info:
    - product name: ESS
    - edition: Home
    - exact version number: 4.0.437 ( but the problem was definitely already there in previous builds, like 4.0.424 )
    - language: English, of course.
    - information about installed modules:
    - previous or concurrently installed security software or previously installed product version: No concurrently installed security software, but before ESS, I had Norton Internet Security ( I don't remember which version though ). It's removed now. Before build 4.0.437 of ESS, I had 4.0.424 installed. When the firewall started to malfunction, I decided to try out the new build, but that didn't solve my problem.

Here's a SysInspector Log:
    http://www.box.net/shared/q1yisnejka

I have tried simply uninstalling and reinstalling, and the firewall worked at first, but after a restart, it just gave me that same error again. I have tried doing a full uninstall ( uninstalling in the Control Panel, then deleting some ESET registry entries and all folders associated with ESS ), but after a restart, it didn't work anymore. AGAIN.
    So I decided to turn off UAC now, and then doing a complete uninstall and then reinstall, and then restart, but that didn't work either. :'(
    I then set the program in test mode, and then updated, but again, it didn't work. I restarted then, and you know what? It actually worked... - Oh wait, it didn't. -_-

So, can anybody help me, please?

Thanks in advance,
    Byvar.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please always provide the following information when reporting an issue:
    OS info:
    - version of the OS and its edition (e.g. Vista Ultimate)
    - software platform (32/64-bit)
    - service pack installed (plus recently installed hotfixes if you suspect the issue to be related to it)
    - amount of RAM installed

Product info:
    - product name (ESS/EAV)
    - edition (Home / Busines)
    - exact version number (e.g 4.0.437)
    - language
    - information about installed modules (Help -> About)
    - previous or concurrently installed security software
    - clean installation / installation over an older product version (exact version number)

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  3. Byvar

Byvar Registered Member

Sorry, I'm new here, but I still provided most of the info. ;)

OS info:
    - version of the OS and its edition: Windows Vista Home Premium
    - software platform: 64bit
    - amount of RAM installed: 4GB

Product info:
    - product name: ESS
    - edition: Home
    - exact version number: 4.0.437 ( but the problem was definitely already there in previous builds, like 4.0.424 )
    - language: English, of course.
    - information about installed modules:
    - previous or concurrently installed security software or previously installed product version: No concurrently installed security software, but before ESS, I had Norton Internet Security ( I don't remember which version though ). It's removed now. Before build 4.0.437 of ESS, I had 4.0.424 installed. When the firewall started to malfunction, I decided to try out the new build, but that didn't solve my problem.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Since Symantec products are known to leave components in the system after uninstallation, I'd strongly suggest running their removal tool available here. Finally uninstall ESS and install the latest version 4.0.437 from scratch.

Let us know about the result please. Should the problem persist, tell us if you have a service pack installed and which one (1/2).

5. Byvar

Byvar Registered Member

All Symantic products have been removed for 3 months now ( with the removal tool, because I had already encountered a problem of Symantic things left behind on my previous PC ), and the ESS firewall has worked for 3 months too, so I can't see why that would cause any problem now...
    Also, quoted from the first post:
    So it's definitely not a SP2 incompatibility problem. :p

6. get_it

get_it Registered Member

You mentioned above you deleted "some ESET registry entries and all folders associated with ESS"

Not sure if this will help but...
    Have you tried removing the entire "ESET" entry folder from both "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software" and also from "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE" prior to reinstalling?

7. Byvar

Byvar Registered Member

Yep, that were the ones I removed...

8. get_it

get_it Registered Member

Just a quick question, have you disabled windows firewall completely? (via services.msc)

9. Byvar

Byvar Registered Member

Not via the services, but I don't think that's the problem, because ESS has worked with that for 3 months... :(

10. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Try running the ESET SysInspector program and creating a log file for your system. Once you have it, view the Drivers and the Services sections to see if there are any drivers or services still installed from the old (or other) security software. It is easier to do this if you sort the view by Company (all the way to the right in the right pane) when viewing the log.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

11. Byvar

Byvar Registered Member

No, there are no more drivers/services from the old security programs ( there are some from Symantec, but that's because I have Norton Ghost, the backup program, installed ).

I'll restore the Norton Ghost backup I made on Sunday then. I hope it'll work...

But before I do that, does anybody have any other idea?

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  12. MindTwisted

MindTwisted Registered Member

The error says that your problem has something to do with Eset not being able to convert firewall rules. Did you try deleting all of your firewall rules? Maybe you have a corrupt one in there somewhere.

I would delete all custom firewall rules, set the firewall mode to interactive mode, reboot, and see what happens.

13. Byvar

Byvar Registered Member

Deleting all custom rules ( all deletable rules ) was the first thing I tried, and that didn't work.

14. Byvar

Byvar Registered Member

Sorry for the double post, but I'm not very happy... I just restored my computer to the restore point I made on Monday, but it turns out that wasn't enough... ESET Smart Security 4.0.417 is on there again, and it gives me the same error. So even Norton Ghost didn't help. -_-
    And I don't have any earlier backup ( Norton Ghost has been installed for 3 months, but I didn't use it until Monday ).
    Here are some possibilities that may have caused this firewall problem:
    - Made a complete backup with Norton Ghost for the first time on this computer.
    - The computer randomly crashed while in Send/Recieve status in Outlook.
    - The computer randomly crashed while on surfing on the internet using Firefox.
    - Or something else, but I doubt that.

So, I'll scan my Windows files for errors, I guess...
    I still don't know whether it's a missing/corrupt system files problem or not though.

EDIT -> Hah, and System Restore doesn't work anymore either! I guess I'll have to reset my computer to factory default... :(
    EDIT 2 -> Huh? Sometimes, it works, and sometimes not... strange...

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  15. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Since you reimaged your system, have you performed an upgrade installation to ESET Smart Security v4.0.437.0? If so, what were the results?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

16. ZeroCR

ZeroCR Registered Member

The problem is the SP2 for VISTA, you only need uninstall the SP2

17. callman

callman Registered Member

Thank you Agoretsky, I had the same problem and I ran Eset sysinspector according to your advice. It found two drivers from uninstalled programs and I deleted them:
    "Lbd" = "c:\windows\system32\drivers\lbd.sys" Po štarte (after start) ; Beží (running) ; ( 2: V poriadku ) ; Boot Driver ; Lavasoft AB ;
    "Interný názov" = "Lbd.sys"
    "Meno produktu" = "Ad-Aware"
    "Verzia súboru" = "1.0.00.000 built by: WinDDK"
    "Meno spoločnosti" = "Lavasoft AB"
    "Popis súboru" = "Boot Driver"
    "Veľkosť súboru" = "64160"
    "SHA1" = "04D0FA5B2DF058B7CDBAA8BCB8002680F48947DE"
    "Podpísal" = "Lavasoft AB"
    "Čas vytvorenia" = "2009/04/09 23:06"
    "Čas posledného zápisu" = "2009/04/09 23:06"
    "Naviazané na" = "Ovládače -> c:\windows\system32\drivers\lbd.sys"

"Driver for MagicISO SCSI Host Controller" = "c:\windows\system32\drivers\mcdbus.sys" Manuálny ; Zastavený ; ( 5: Neznáme ) ; MagicISO SCSI Host Controller ; MagicISO, Inc. ;
    "Interný názov" = "mcdbus.sys"
    "Meno produktu" = "MagicISO SCSI Host Controller"
    "Verzia súboru" = "2.7.106.519"
    "Meno spoločnosti" = "MagicISO, Inc."
    "Popis súboru" = "MagicISO SCSI Host Controller"
    "Veľkosť súboru" = "116736"
    "SHA1" = "3980841A86019D4F4922E5FCB94E383859222DD1"
    "Čas vytvorenia" = "2009/04/10 13:01"
    "Čas posledného zápisu" = "2009/02/24 17:42"
    "Naviazané na" = "Ovládače -> c:\windows\system32\drivers\mcdbus.sys"

Now I have Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0.6002) Service Pack 2 and new ESS 4.0.437.0 and after turning my notebook on, E.p.firewall is still working and without mistakes. If it happens again, I will let you know.
    In the past I tried to run Nodenabler that was still on the list of Windows Defender even if I uninstalled it. So I removed it from the list of it.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  18. Infiniti

Infiniti Registered Member

This happened to me as well earlier today. After a restart, everything started working fine again. I don't know if this will happen again... :'(
    So this is vista sp2 issue? o_O

[currently running 32-bit vista business sp2]

19. callman

callman Registered Member

My Vista is 32 bit, so I do not have problem with SP2 now. Maybe it was caused by such a ''lovely, pretty and very old'' program ''Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition without antivirus''. I am sory Lavasoft but now it is better, there should be some incompatibility between EPF 4 and Ad-aware even if Ad-Aware is turned off when your system starts. The solution is to uninstall Ad-Aware and ran Eset Sysinspector, view drivers and delete lbd.sys. And the second thing you need to check is if you have disabled windows firewall both in security center and in windows firewall's window (in both windows this firewall needs to be checked if it is turned off).

Last edited: May 29, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.